2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC073 September 2023 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Doc Jon

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC073 September 2023 - Voting until 01-OCT-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Doc Jon »

Things I have learned during this month’s competition:
Time constraints were against me this month and I thought that using a vocal acapella from a sample pack would be a good idea – but by the end of the track I had decided that this was a mistake!! The overall constraints of trying to fit in with a pre-determined vocal line and melody were more of a hindrance than a help and I will not be taking that route again
I did however concentrate much more this month on sprinkling little sound Fx here and there and spent more time on my transitions between sections which I think is a good habit to develop for the future

Arelem: Anxiety
Fits this month’s brief very nicely. Nice percussion and sound Fx throughout. Good lyrics and an authentic hip hop/trap feel to the whole production. I am not really a fan of the heavily autotuned vocal effect but it does work well in this context and the vocal doubling is very effective when used. Catchy strings sequence but it does get a bit repetitive by the end of the track. In a very strong field this month this only just missed out on top 3

BenjiRage: Above The Clouds
Ah, the 80s, I remember them well! Authentic 80s vibe and typical 80s mix. Personally I like Synthesizer V as I think it’s a valuable tool for producing demos - particularly when you have used it so effectively as you have done here. I suspect you put in a lot of work with the fine tuning to get such a natural sounding vocal, good work. Well written song, great arrangement, great transitions between sections - altogether very very good indeed. Is there anything I would change? – not really, maybe lift the piano solo up a fifth or an octave in the second 8 bars for a really euphoric boost but that’s just nitpicking, honestly this was absolutely superb through and through – very well done!

EsteveCorbera: TresFasesDeLaMent
Lovely atmospheric intro and opening section. When the beat comes in the whole feel of the track changes quite significantly. I love the patches you have used with those typical Vangelis and Jarre sounds. The drum sounds are also suitably retro sounding and it all fits together well. By about the 5.00 mark I was finding it becoming a little repetitive and found myself wanting the track to develop further with another new section being introduced. The outro was very atmospheric and moody and complemented the similar intro very nicely

KukoBass: Shattered
A nice laid back track with an intimate ‘room’ sound and nicely played piano accompaniment. Good laid back beat and groove – but that synth that comes in at 0:21 is too loud and remains too loud throughout the track, it is just too resonant and intrusive. Well done for including vocals which fit with the track’s overall feel. The vocal line sounds quite ‘in your head’ and I think maybe just a little more ambience/room reverb would help to place it better in the mix

Jinjer93: Virtue Signals
Well this is an interesting and very good track. It makes a refreshing change to have a less purely electronic track and there is a definite indie rock with a touch of punk vibe going on here. Great vocal, nicely recorded with great lyrics and a catchy chorus. Stripped back groove and sparse guitar is highly effective in this setting. Nice arrangement and well mixed to my ears. Any changes to suggest – yes, track was too short, more of the same please with a guitar solo thrown in at 2:03 for good measure! Overall excellent work

VCA-089: Broken Mirror
Fantastic intro once again, immediately grabs the attention. Lovely chorused guitars and great lo-fi feel. Very obvious to me what you are aiming for here and I think you have achieved it very well, authentic early Cure/Cocteau Twins feel but at the same time sounding quite original with your own vocal. Great guitar solo work and love the drum sounds (I had one of those RX machines back in the day!). I found the vocal quite hypnotic and the heavy feedback delays gave a great trippy feel to the whole production. Overall quite a bold choice of direction to take with this track but implemented very well and all very nicely done

Voting
► Show Spoiler
jinjer93

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC073 September 2023 - Voting until 01-OCT-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by jinjer93 »

Edit: Finally got back to the updates. Not even sure if it's in time, but it was a blast!

I didn't know what kind of music to expect and was pleasantly surprised. A lot of the tunes filled me with nostalgia and there was one in particular I smelled the cinnamon candle and spiced rum next to me clicking away in FL Studio back when it was Fruity Loops lol
Time got away from me with a lot of projects, so I hope to see a lot of you in the next go! Thanks for the experience, now I got a lot of homework to do. :wink:

@Arelem Anxiety:
I loved this. I've been recently getting into more trap/pop side of things, just seems to be inclusive to a lot of punk these days so I've been learning the core elements and typical arrangements. If criticism is open for acceptance, I would say there's a lot of "static" parts. For instance, "Get my head straight" being just the vocal would make the chorus hit harder immediately. Another thing is coming from first chorus, I would drop the beat for the first two bars and bring it back WITH bass. You already have a transition with the static swell, so the chorus would still impact even with the bass.
Overall, though, this is just nitpicking. Love what you did with it and hope to see you on a next contest!

@BenjiRage Avobe The Clouds:
These are FAKE vocals?! I need to look into that, that's wild. The only thing I'd suggest is repeating the chorus after the piano solo, or having a bridge vocal.. but like, this song is a 10/10. I'm sorry to hear about your tinnitus, I hope the best for you and am glad to see you working on getting the music out while you can.

@EsteveCorbera - TresFasesDeLaMent
It reminds me of Dr. Who, or some epic sci-fi theme soundtrack! I have a harsh and immediate sensitivity to sounds that are out of key, and the main synth while all notes are technically inside the key, there's a "key center" that I feel the track would benefit more from if utilized. In a less technical term, the lead synth is too happy on top of a thrilling, dark adventure! Mid-writing, I realized this reminds me of tower climbing to an epic boss fight in Final Fantasy games. I love this, so I hope the critique translates well.

@KukoBass - Shattered
This was a toughy, and I had to listen a couple times to catch the vibe. I actually like the decision for the louder warble sound, just think it could be pulled back into the speakers. Love the vibe, the eerie spoken thoughts over the groove. Very psychedelic old school rock groove tucked in there somewhere I could see pulled out somehow maybe?

@VCA-089 - Broken Mirror
Crank those guitarssssss. The style of vocal can sacrifice intelligibility a little and depend on filters and/or distortion to cut through if necessary. That would mask a little of the fakeness of the drums. Kinda reminds me of Alice In Chains or something in that realm of dark rock. It's a good clean balance overall, if that was your goal. But if it was to emphasize the dissonance, I would say the guitars going up would transform the song.

@Doc Jon - Happy
I love this the more I hear it. I just wanna hear the master, I would put this in a playlist honestly! Either the vocals are too loud or the synths are too scooped in the midrange.
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by jinjer93 on Mon Oct 02, 2023 02:12 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
BenjiRage
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Post by BenjiRage »

Thank you @Doc Jon @jinjer93, I really appreciate your kind feedback :). Also, @Doc Jon I actually have you to thank for my discovery of SynthV, it was your "Postcards" entry from a few months back where I first heard it being used and it was a jaw dropping moment!

Here's my feedback for all the entrants:
► Show Spoiler
My Top 3:
► Show Spoiler
It's been very enjoyable taking part in this month's competition and has given me quite a boost to know I can still actually write a song on my own. I've also greatly enjoyed listening to all the entries and am very greatful for the feedback received. Perhaps some of the most important things that I've taken away from this month's game are:
  • Depending on how it's used, a simple musical arrangement can be just as powerful as a complex one
  • I shouldn't have to feel compelled to add vocals to a track, instrumental arrangements can be just as enjoyable
  • Strive to always keep the listener interested, even if on a sub-concious level. Small variations in rhythms, melodies, harmonies, timbre etc will help to achieve this.
BenjiRage
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Post by BenjiRage »

Doc Jon wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 13:36 CEST
...maybe lift the piano solo up a fifth or an octave in the second 8 bars for a really euphoric boost...
Oh yeah I can absolutely hear this now that you've said it, I'll have to remember this for the next one!
Doc Jon

Post by Doc Jon »

BenjiRage wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 17:17 CEST
Also, @Doc Jon I actually have you to thank for my discovery of SynthV, it was your "Postcards" entry from a few months back where I first heard it being used and it was a jaw dropping moment!
Pleased to have been of service!! :tu:
A Future in Noise
Song Provider
Song Provider

Post by A Future in Noise »

Bonus track – submitted too late.

For me personally, mental health is intimately connected with the ability to completely abstain from everything that has got anything to do with all kinds of religion. This is what the lyrics is about. Unfortunately I didn't have time to finish this entry. The reflection section of this song is primarily in the bridge / recitative.

Lyrics
► Show Spoiler
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

:arrow_right: A quick update
Bonus Entry added in to the Global Song Collection post (post #020)
BenjiRage
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Post by BenjiRage »

A Future in Noise wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 19:55 CEST

For me personally, mental health is intimately connected with the ability to completely abstain from everything that has got anything to do with all kinds of religion. This is what the lyrics is about. Unfortunately I didn't have time to finish this entry. The reflection section of this song is primarily in the bridge / recitative.
Hey, even if not finished I think this is a good sounding production. Your guitars sound great and I really like the arrangement. Lyrically it does seems a little bit cryptic/abstract and had you not said it concerns religion I wouldn't necessarily have guessed this. Also, the talking part that forms the bridge feels a bit weird/out-of-place to me. I appreciate the reflectiveness but I think it would be more pleasing to the listener if it was sung. But still, good work :)
A Future in Noise
Song Provider
Song Provider

BenjiRage wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 16:38 CEST
A Future in Noise wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 19:55 CEST

Hey, even if not finished I think this is a good sounding production. Your guitars sound great and I really like the arrangement. Lyrically it does seems a little bit cryptic/abstract and had you not said it concerns religion I wouldn't necessarily have guessed this. Also, the talking part that forms the bridge feels a bit weird/out-of-place to me. I appreciate the reflectiveness but I think it would be more pleasing to the listener if it was sung. But still, good work :)
Very kind of you to comment on my submission, even though I'm not entering the contest this month. As for Above the Clouds, my first impression is that it is a very well mixed song. But maybe too long for being a song without a bridge or other things that stand out. Admittedly, there is a part between 2:48 – 3:52 that is instrumental. But as I judge it, without having analyzed meticulously, the chord progression behind is exactly the same here. Also: aside from what I said about "well-mixed", I thought the overall impression is that everything is a little too smooth. Part of that is due, I guess, to the super-smooth synthetic vocals. But also the super hard compression. I imported your wav.file into REAPER, to be able to listen with extra EQ with my earbuds, which I carry with me when I'm not at home. When I saw the graph on the display of my laptop, it occurred to me that the lack of roughness may be due to the fact that the truepeak never exceeds -5 dB. I will try to attach a screenshot of that graph. Then I will return, when/if time permits, with further observations.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't really see why you wanted to compress like this (and I haven't checked iLUFS, but still a good song! Keep up the good work. :)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bQKgDs ... sp=sharing
A Future in Noise
Song Provider
Song Provider

BenjiRage wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 16:38 CEST
Lyrically it does seem a little bit cryptic/abstract ...
Un-cryptisize activities is a crusial thing when it comes to interpret lyrics, I believe. But I cannot judge my own talent as a writer, of course. I hesitated about the line " ... rid of ancient affairs ..." before I posted. I wish I had found a better way to express it, but I didn't. English isn't my native language, but everybody is so used to hear that language accompany contemporary music.