2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC074 October 2023 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC074 October 2023 - Winners announced

Post by Mister Fox »

Hello and welcome to the Songwriting Competition 074 - October 2023

:information_source: BEFORE WE GET STARTED:
  • Please consult the official and very simple "Rules and Guidelines" (TL;DR version) for the Songwriting Competition regarding principles of the game, it's engaging game mechanics (allowed editing/re-submission of your entry until the deadline has been reached) and upload/submission guidelines.
  • The general idea of this game is to "...just make music", to also challenge yourself by stepping a bit out of your comfort zone, and take a dip at realms you've never worked in before. Instrumentals are just as welcome as productions with vocals.
  • The Genre and "Premise" of this months challenge can be found in in post #002
  • Filename Template (Important): SWC074__ArtistName__TrackName.wav or .mp3
    • example: SWC074__MisterFox__ColorOfTheSky.wav
    • example: SWC074__Mister_Fox__Color_of_the_sky.wav
Read more about this month's competition further down below. And if you got any question, please also reach out on Discord.

:arrow_right: SONGWRITING COMPETITION THREAD INDEX

Post #001 -- Introduction post and index for the various stages of the Songwriting Competition. Will be updated as we progress
Post #002 -- Submission Period: General Information, Source Material, Sponsors
Post #003 -- Cheat Sheet: A couple of examples / audio demos for this month's challenge (limited if genre is "free to select")
Post #017 -- Voting: Summarized entries and start of voting process
Post #027 -- Results: Results of the Songwriting Competition
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC074 October 2023 - Submissions until 24-OCT-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

CURRENT CHALLENGE - GENERAL INFORMATION

Time Frame: Sunday, 01st October 2023 to Tuesday, 24th October 2023 (24 days)

Challenge submission will end on 24-OCT-2023, 23:59 UTC+2/CEST (Germany) - until further notice.

Want to find out if you're still within the deadline, please either consult the Global Countdown (dedicated page), or the countdown on the landing site. There will also be short reminders on Social Media and on Discord. Does the game time frame feel too long? Why not set a personal shorter one of 5-7 days absolute max to push yourself to focus on the essentials, then use the rest of the time to ask for feedback and possible refinements. :idea:

SONGWRITING THEME: "Dread"
GENRE: free to select

Image Source: ELG21 / Enrique (via Pixabay), released under Creative Commons CC0

A few word about this month's theme:
Staff (Mister Fox) wrote: There is something strange happening, yet you can't put your finger on it as to why.

That shadow in the corner of your eye, yet you don't know what it is that you notice. The noises in your apartment that you can't comprehend. The phone that rings, the unknown number on the display, and that weird automated message on the answering machine. That weird light at the end of a foggy road. That recurring weird tingling sensation. That unexplainable unrest you have, even while lying down, trying to unwind and get some rest in. A weight on your chest, the almost deafening heartbeat... this looming dread.

It is October, mid Fall season, it feels like constantly being dark outside.
Tell us a scary story through music... and if you can manage to do that without any vocals, even better!

Your task for this Songwriting Competition:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This month, you can create a production in any music genre you feel like.

The task should be focusing on creating an "ambience", something that might even be able to send chills down one's spine. Yes, we might be drifting towards more experimental ambient music and noise this month. Dabbling into sound design is highly encouraged, and a good practice for January's "Community Scramble" (where your sound sets will be more limited).

Ideally, the music should speak for itself, keep the listener on the edge of a seat. Instrumental content might work better than vocal work. As usual, you are not forced to add any. Please try to not overshoot 8min of runtime.

I am curious about your musical ideas... :headphones:

Songwriting Rule Summary / Add-On Rules:
► Show Spoiler

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:arrow_right: LICENSE SPONSORS (Bonus Prizes):

A huge thank you goes to our very generous License Sponsors for this month's game. Those being (in alphabetical order):

Cherry Audio, Ghostwave Audio, Hollow Sun, Hornet Plugins, IK Multimedia, JRR Sounds, kv331 audio, Luftrum, Musiclab, Rekkerd Sounds, satyatunes - Sound / Graphic Design, and Tone2.

A detailed list of offerings can be found in the following information block.
► Show Spoiler
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good luck to all participants.
And most importantly, have fun!
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC074 October 2023 - Submissions until 24-OCT-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

AUDIO EXAMPLES:
---------------------

Articles and Info Pages:

A great starting point is the "Addendum"/Supplementary thread for the Songwriting Competition
Songwriting Competition - Addendum: Music Maps and BPM Charts

Since the genre this month is "free to select", there are no clear pointers

Music examples (selection for inspiration, 00 videos):

No music examples available this month. But I can always recommend to enter random genre search words either into Youtube, Spotify or whatever music streaming services you prefer using.

Please also check in with the following threads in the the Gear Talk sub-forum, if you're on the look-out for new tools:
Places to fuel your GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) (the starting point if you're in need of audio tools -- from free to affordable).

if you're new to/need help with songwriting - please check out the following tools:
► Show Spoiler

More tools of the trade
► Show Spoiler

UPDATED: 30-SEP-2023 10:30 UTC+2, updated 00-OCT-2023 00:00 UTC+2
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
Including today, 14 days left to submit your production.

So far, we have 0 entries

If you want to access the extended game mechanics of the Songwriting Competition (asking for feedback during production), please try to release your first edits within the next 7 days to have enough time to get possible feedback (if needed/wanted) and continue to work on your song.

To those sitting on the fence - please don't feel scared off and think "the bar is set too high, I will never make it" - set yourself a shorter private deadline. Just make music, submit your entry, join the conversation. See where this goes.

By joining, you're already a winner. The rest is bonus. :tu:
A Future in Noise
Song Provider
Song Provider

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC074 October 2023 - Submissions until 24-OCT-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by A Future in Noise »

This is the soundtrack to a short cartoon about bats in an evil castle that attacks musicians.

DAW: REAPER

Instrument: A saw. (I only managed to get two tones out of the saw, so Shortcircuit had to do the rest.)

Plugins: Instruments: XLN Audio Addictive keys, Spitfire Audio BBC Symphony Orchestra Discover, Soft samplers Shortcircuit and Independence Free handling various free audio material from the internet, primarily the sgossner/VSCO-directory found at GitHub (I've used samples from trumpets, a bass tuba, snares, a cymbal and kettledrums). I've also made a few recordings in my flat (water dripping, footsteps and the saw). FX: Teletronix LA – 2A Tube Compressor, Independence Free Limiter, reverb IR files from Samplicity.
Last edited by A Future in Noise on Fri Oct 20, 2023 16:18 CEST, edited 18 times in total.
Doc Jon

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC074 October 2023 - Submissions until 24-OCT-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Doc Jon »

For this month's track I fired up my old Cubase Halloween template (last used in 2020 in SWC038) where I had saved a bunch of spooky patches from Absynth, String Studio and Alchemy, the classic VST horror triad! I also re-used the audio samples that were sitting in the audio folder (footsteps, creaky door).
I created a new track using the template sounds and added in some extra sound effects and spooky guitar sounds.

Host
Cubase 12 Pro

VSTs
Absynth x8 for the atmospheric sounds
String Studio x9 for the grating and dissonant strings
Camel Audio Alchemy x5 for choirs and spooky jingly bells
u-he ACE for bass throb
Halion Sonic for strings and brass
Korg MonoPoly for pads
MusicLab RealStrat for the guitar sounds

Fx
Very few Fx needed as most of the patches were already very Fx-heavy
One instance of ValhallaRoom on sends for ambience
FabFilter Timeless 2 and Saturn as inserts here and there
Guitar Rig 6 for RealStrat
Little Altar Boy to pitch down the whisper at the end
Cubase Multiband Compressor and Magneto Tape on the Master bus
TRackS metering and Voxengo Span keeping an eye on things

Samples
I used the following Freesound.org samples:
19292__martian__footstep-on-wood-foley
28238__herbertboland__footsteps
145417__soughtaftersounds__door-footsteps-1
EsteveCorbera

Post by EsteveCorbera »

Dear fellow challengers and Mister Fox.

This month I returned to my origins: In the soundtracks.
I want to present you a new soundtrack for a horror scene. It could be defined as the title itself, a scene of terror where the elements increase the anxiety and lead to a fatal end.
The melodies are in scales with each other and also different from what I usually use. My intention is to create a bad atmosphere, that the music is not comfortable. That he thinks it's bad.
An instrumental curiosity, I used a theremin at very high notes that sounds like a human voice. I liked the experiment and that's why I left it.
You will see that I have used very few samples, most of the effects are made with Reason's own synthesizers.

I hope you like it or not.

Thank you colleagues.

(translated with google)

Equipment:
DAW:

Reason 12.7

Instruments:
NN-XT Advanced Sampler
Monotone Bass Synthesizer
Thor Polysonic Synthesizer
Humana Vocal Ensemble
Europa Shapeshifting Synthesizer
Algoritm FM Synthesizer
Grain Sample Manipulator
Umpf Retro Beats

Effects:
RV7000 MkII Advanced Reverb
The Echo
Alligator Triple Filter Gate
MClass Maximizer
Scream 4 Sound Destruction Unit
BV512 Vocoder
Sweeper Modulation Effect
Audiomatic Retro Transformer
Channel EQ
Pulveriser Demolition Unit
Softube Bass Amp
Quartet Chorus Ensemble
MClass Stereo Imager

Players:
Scales & Chords
Pattern Mutator
Drum Sequencer

Utilities:
Combinator
Line Mixer 6:2

Reason Packs (like Presets):
Haunted House
Scary Monsters
Algoritm - Dark Melodies

Reason Rack Extension:
ProjectSAM Orchestral Sampler
Turn2on FlexaComp Compressor

Other effects outside of Reason:
iZotope Vocal Doubler
2B Played Music Warble

Samples:
Ghosthack - Tesseract Vol1 Universal Cinematic Sounds\06 Sinister Tones - Vocal Scream.wav
Ghosthack - Tesseract Vol1 Universal Cinematic Sounds\Kit 46 - Drum Roll 120BPM.wav
Ghosthack - Tesseract Vol2 Hybrid Tools\Whooshes\Ghosthack-T2_Whoosh_Debug.wav

Other tools:
iZotope Ozone 9
Plugin Alliance SPL HawkEye
HoRNet Plugins HoRNet VHS
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
Including today, 7 days left to submit your production.

So far, we have 3 entries.

If you want to access the extended game mechanics of the Songwriting Competition (asking for feedback during production), please try to release your first edits within the next 3 days to have enough time to get possible feedback (if needed/wanted) and continue to work on your song. Please also remember, vocals are not mandatory -- instrumentals are just as welcome.

And to those sitting on the fence - please don't feel scared off and think "the bar is set too high, I will never make it" - set yourself a shorter private deadline. Just make music, submit your entry, join the conversation. See where this goes.

By joining, you're already a winner. The rest is bonus. :tu:
A Future in Noise
Song Provider
Song Provider

The WIP version is gone, and a new version has been uploaded. Rather different.

EDIT: I made yet a new version a few minutes ago. It's this ten minutes to two pm CEST that's the definitive one.
A Future in Noise
Song Provider
Song Provider

I realized some more reverb was needed. The space in which I right now am does not allow for controll listening, so I took a chance for -36 dB and my usual hall reverb. New update, that is.