2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC075 November 2023 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Ladies and Gentlemen, here are the results of Songwriting Competition 075

:arrow_right: The winners podium consists of:
  1. @Doc Jon (21 pts)
  2. @Arelem (21 pts)
  3. @Lady Incognita (19 pts)

Apologies for the waiting time, this is not an automated process.

<4 participant rule is not in use (staff comments and votes, my vote would count as bonus)
We have 1 disqualification (due to lack of feedback / a final vote)
We have 0 withdrawn entries (but counts as submission within the deadline, yet couldn't be voted for)
We have several users still in the game that tied
  • The following ties on the chart happened due to the offsets with the bonus point mechanic
    • Doc Jon acquired 9pts with the participation vote -- the participant has otherwise all bonus points (resulting in 21pts)
    • Arelem acquired 7pts with the participation vote -- the tie results due to loosing 1pt bonus, but also gaining 3pts from the staff vote (resulting in 21pts, else it would have been 19pts, tying with )
    • APi_ZZ acquired 5pts with the participation vote -- the tie results due to loosing 5pts bonus (resulting in 12pts, else it would have been 17pts)
    • EsteveCorbera unfortunately didn't get any points during the voting process -- the tie results from the maximum available bonus points
  • no (more) users that tied
"Sole (License) Winner" rule does apply - 1-position Winners Podium (<= 8 participants prior to the deadline)

STATISTICS SHEET:
Overview of Submissions (PDF - updated: 04-NOV-2023, full sheet)

! Bonus Info
Short info:
I am using Wavelab 10 for batch analysis, then I manually port the CSV export to a Microsoft Excel/Open Office Calc sheet with custom layout (this is not an automated process).

As pointed out in this post from SWC047 / July 2021, Wavelab has different tolerances for dBTP max analysis compared to tools like iZotope RX, Youlean Loudness Meter, NUGEN Audio VisLM, etc. To find a common ground, I've implemented "allowed tolerances" (just like with the Mix Challenge). These are based upon allowed offsets mentioned in the white papers for EBU R128 and ITU-R BS.1770-4. Since no measurement tool is the same, to be on the save side, please export at -14,1 LUFS ILk max, and -1,1 dBTP max.

As usual, I did list/analyze alternative releases (MP3s and FLAC). If you've submitted your entry in multiple file formats, the statistic sheet will focus on the uncompressed material first (WAV), then FLAC, then MP3. The higher the quality, the less possible loss on bonus points for "Loudness Specs" due to offsets introduced by a used CODEC. In this case, FLAC and MP3 are merely for information purposes.

Here are the results as chart in image form:

Thank you so much for your participation. :clap:

⚠ Moderation Message from Mister Fox  
INFORMATION:
As of January 2023, I am adapting the same voting mechanic as most other International Songwriting Competitions utilize. Nearly all of these games use(d) a 01 to 05 points system (top 5 entries) in some shape or form. The main difference to our game: these ones don't offer bonus points or penalty points, neither are they tiered (depending on the participant amount). I hope to get that properly sorted out in form of an extensive Rule Book update in the foreseeable future (serious apologies for the waiting time).

:arrow_right: Breaking up a tie:

There were no unbreakable ties that needed to be addressed. I merely got involved, due to the fact, that half of the votes went into an entry, that sadly got pulled out of the game due to lack of participation (that entry being from @Brandon740). It once more saddens me that EsteveCorbera didn't get any point at all. Unfortunately, this is the nature of the game with low participation.

:arrow_right: An explanation on the bonus points and penalty points:
  • I've withdrawn 4pts from @APi_ZZ and 2pts from @Brandon740 for exceeding the loudness specs.
  • I've withdrawn 1pt each from @Arelem, @Brandon740 and @Chrisantimos for not using the filename template (see post #001). Main topics: double underscore, and forum username association.
  • I've withdrawdn 5pts from @Brandon740 for merely posting a link, and not adding further documentation (see the well established rule book)
  • @APi_ZZ did only receive 1pt bonus, due to the fact that feedback was only given to part of the participants, not all
  • I've addressed -1pt penalty for @Lady Incognita due to the fact, that the entry was not easily accessible / downloadable.

You have all done an amazing job, please continue to spread the word. Let's make 15 participants for December 2023 a reality.

See you folks in the next game.

:arrow: License selection:

We will now perform with the usual. Selecting of licenses is handled in public. Please select one license/company out of the pool (in order of the winners podium) and mention it in this thread, then (important) please get in touch with me (via PM) with your full name, email address and your license selection.

As usual - you're not forced to pick up anything. You can pass and therefore offer more to select for the next person in line (if there is a spot existing / not available for "sole winner" mechanic). Just let all participants/winners/the staff know in a timely manner (within 5 days). Once one company has been selected, it's out of the pool for the next person on the podium.

I re-open the field for talking some more about each others' productions. If things drift a bit too off-topic, please use the General Gossip thread, or Discord.

See you in in the next challenge!

Songwriting Competition 076 (December 2023) is still in full swing.

So is the Sample Collection Thread for SWC077 / January 2024 (Community Scramble).
Only you(!) can shape the general tone for this upcoming game! So get involved.

There is currently no entry for either. :educate:
Brandon740

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC075 November 2023 - Winners announced

Post by Brandon740 »

congrats to the winners!, ill follow along closer next time, time got away from me.
Doc Jon

Post by Doc Jon »

Wow! Thank you very much, I feel lucky to have won but mixed emotions as it is a shame that Brandon740 missed out

I will choose Musiclab RealLPC as my prize please

Many thanks to everyone for the valuable feedback, and to @Mister Fox for running the show :clap:

In answer to the questions raised in the feedback:
@becsei_gyorgy @Chrisantimos the Synth V parts are the singing vocal (Ritchy voicebank, he's meant to be the rapper voicebank but switching him to singing mode still produces a great male singing vocal!), my own vocal contribution was simply the growling voice of the sentinel characters
@Mister Fox as far as the guitars were concerned UJAM Iron was using the built in amp, RealGuitar was processed through Guitar Rig 6

Thanks everyone and see you in the next one :tu:
Arelem

Post by Arelem »

Congrats Doc on the first place finish and everyone else for their very solid entries. We always, thank you Mr Fox for running the contest.
Lady Incognita

Post by Lady Incognita »

Congratulations @Doc Jon! Omg, I thought Synth V was the Sentinel! Both vocals worked great. I will say I'm really impressed by the quality of the Synth V vocals in your track and György Becsei's, and how well you both are able to use it!

Sorry @Brandon740 that you missed out. Hope you plan to participate again soon! That dreamy metal sound was really lovely.

Thank you everybody for the great feedback! Doc Jon, your feedback to everyone was great! Sigh, I'd love being able to give half as useful a feedback...

@Mister Fox, thank you for the awesome challenge and the work you put into setting it up. And thank you so much for that amazing and insightful feedback you've taken the time and effort to give everyone. I really appreciate it. I'm going to incorporate it as best as I can. I am still working on the track (or rather on my a-bit-too-ambitious-in-hindsight mini-movie music video for it - I often get too carried away) and will release the song into the wild after that. I'm taking a little break though from working on that to see if I can come up with something quickly for the fun December challenge! : )
Chrisantimos
Backer
Backer

Post by Chrisantimos »

Dear all, this was so very fun! Thanks to everyone for all the feedbacks that is very helpfull and inspiring. Cheers to DocJohn for winning :tu: I agree with what Lady write above, and from me as well a special thanks to Mr. Fox for this aweseome competition :hail: Hope to see you soon again in SWC076 :smile:
becsei_gyorgy

Post by becsei_gyorgy »

It has been an interesting month, congratulations to all who participated in this competition. :clap:
Special congratulations to @Doc Jon, a nice win for a good song. :tu:

Special thanks to @Mister Fox for the feedback, it was useful I think for all of us.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Thank you for the positive words.

The license request has been addressed.

I'll leave this thread open for more feedback and possible revisions.
See you in the next games.
EsteveCorbera

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC075 November 2023 - results in preparation

Post by EsteveCorbera »

Mister Fox wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:16 CET

@EsteveCorbera :
[...]
Instrument balance has always been your main topic. Maybe this is your bigger challenge for 2024.
Thanks for your comments.
You're right, I'm going to try to make balance between instruments my real 2024 challenge

@Mister Fox have a good year 2024