2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC076 December 2023 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
JeroenZuiderwijk
Wild Card x2
Wild Card x2

Re: WIP SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC076 December 2023 - Submissions until 24-DEC-2023 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by JeroenZuiderwijk »

KukoBass wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 22:46 CET
JeroenZuiderwijk wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 23:53 CET
... with lots of distorion, delay/echo....as if the sound is clipping...that is intentional, I like that weird broken-down sound. The rest (piano / beat) evolved around it. This is a W.I.P. ....needs some more work.
You might want to double-check the filename. The template has changed and uses two underscores between SWC, Artist and the name of the song now (it should be "SWC076__JeroenZuiderwijk__LightsDancingInTheNightSky.wav" instead of "SWC076_JeroenZuiderwijk_LightsDancingInTheNightSky.wav").
Thank you...I changed the filename!
Mellow Browne

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC076 December 2023 - Submissions until 24-DEC-2023 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Mellow Browne »

Hello,

I haven't participated for a while now, lot of things and changes happened in the last few months. Anyway, I listened to a lot of soulful/liquid DnB music recently, so I decided to go into this direction.
I first made a typical DnB drum groove and used Scaler 2 to create a chord progression I thought would fit and give a nice vibe to it. I had to play around a bit to get the voicing I was looking for. The key is in Bb Major scale and I had to use minor 9 chords to make it more soulful. The progression is iii (D m9)-IV (Eb M9)-vi (G min9) - ii (C min9) - IV (Eb maj9). I then created something like a Reese bass sound with Sublab XL. This was the core of my track.
I built the rest around that and added some stabs, pads, FXs (Shaperbox, Step FX and Glitch2) and other playful elements to create an interesting build up and arrangement. See the image for details:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qsLD7F ... sp=sharing

And here is the link to my track:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b_J2oH ... sp=sharing

Merry X-Mas!
KukoBass
Backer
Backer

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC076 December 2023 - Submissions until 24-DEC-2023 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by KukoBass »

Doc Jon wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:52 CET
I would agree with the previous comments and your changes have certainly improved the track. I think the clarinet lead sound could still benefit from a bit more expression, even more vibrato and a small amount of delay would make it sound a little less synthetic :)
I made some changes to the song this afternoon. First I switched the clarinet instrument from Native Instruments Symphony Essentials Woodwinds Solo "Clarinet Essential"-preset to Spitfire Audio BBC Symphony Orchestra, Woodwinds "Clarinet"-preset, but I felt that this clarinet alone did not sound full enough for the lead melody. Then I doubled the track, used both clarinets, panned them a little to the left (NI) and right (Spitfire BBC) and adjusted the expression of the notes a little, so that the velocity of the notes left and right are a little different.

I also changed the melody for the second A-part because I felt that three repetitions of the identical melody were too much. For the same reason, I changed the bass part in the second A-part.

The song has now the structure
Intro
A1
B
A2 (same chords, variation of the melody)
B
A1 + additional accompanying instruments
Outro

I'm feeling anxious about changes to my WIP because in past competitions, I sometimes made the song worse (mix wise or in terms of sound). I keep my fingers crossed that this is not the case this time.
A Future in Noise
Song Provider
Song Provider

Post by A Future in Noise »

Avenues Full of Lights

Composer, lyricist: A Future in Noise

Vocals: Ola Husamou

Lyrics:
► Show Spoiler
Instruments, plugins, etcetera:
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by A Future in Noise on Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:07 CET, edited 2 times in total.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC076 December 2023 - preparation phase

Post by Mister Fox »

It is the 25th December 2023, 00:25 UTC+1/CET - this month's Songwriting Competition has official ended

STATISTICS:
  • If I didn't miscount, we have 16 submissions this month (8 entries more than last month, and also 7 entries more than December 2022)
  • We have 0 submissions after the deadline (as of 25-DEC-2023 00:50 UTC+1/CET)
  • We have 0 submissions that has been disqualified (production released outside of the game's timeframe)
  • We have 0 submissions that has been withdrawn
  • The "staff balancing vote" add-on rule does not apply (special game mechanics do apply)
  • "Sole Winners Podium" rule (equal or less than eight participants results in a single winner) does not apply (3-position Winners Podium)

:arrow_right: How do we go from there?

Over the course of the next (hopefully) 24-48 hours (usually up to 6-12 hours maximum after the game has ended), I'll gather all links into one post and hot-link to that from the first post of the thread. Please, no more changes to your entries, but please do check your links that these entries are accessible and downloadable. We then perform with the final feedback and "public vote" system.

We have 16 official participants. We are adapting the overhauled vote mechanic, as talked about in the following news blog:

Songwriting Competition - game mechanic changes: Voting Process (October 2022 Update)
(Info: I am aware that the Rule Book has not been properly updated yet. Time constraints, apologies for the inconvenience)

Summarized:
 ! Bonus Info
  • Participants can (and must) vote for their Top 7 entries (tiered mechanic).
  • You're furthermore asked to please reflect on your experience this month (2-3 paragraphs max), what you have learned, what you would like to do different in the future, etc. (personal growth)
  • You are also asked to give feedback to at least seven (number: 7) entries (tiered mechanic) -- things that stood out to you, providing some final thoughts and constructive feedback for possible improvements. This adds to the learning experience of our community. it is recommended that these entries are outside of your personal "top entry" voting.
  • Have the chance to get additional bonus points if you decide to invest the time to provide more constructive feedback than the requested minimum. It must be more than just "nice production, please keep up the good work" however. This is to boost more interaction and can balance out your overall points on the score sheet. (get 1 point if you give constructive feedback to 1-2 more participant, get 2 points if you give helpful feedback for everyone)
  • The "Voting Process" mechanic is mandatory for all participants, and the only criteria to drop out of the game by not partaking.
  • The overall "Bonus Point" mechanic still applies. Please update your posts with proper production documentation, most notably regarding whom you have collaborated with (as in: proper credits -- not doing so will result in a 2pt deduction on the score sheet at the end of the game). Please also make your entries downloadable, or provide an additional download link. You got until the voting period has ended.
Please cast your vote (not the feedback) in collective form through the "spoiler text" bbcode (button on the WYSIWYG editor that features the orange triangle with an exclamation mark in it). Please use the forum username of the participant to make it easier during the score collection to address what vote belongs to whom.

⚠ Moderation Message from Mister Fox  
For transparency:

The staff (Mister Fox) will not give feedback to all entries and/or cast a vote this month.

(unless there is a tie that can not be broken otherwise)

Feedback from non-participants and/or collaborators is highly encouraged (voting not needed!). The same goes for entries after the deadline, or those that sadly do not count for the current running game (even if you've exceeded the deadline, why not post your entry regardless?). Musicians and Engineers are always after constructive criticism. This is what this forum is about.

Have some general feedback? Please provide that here:
Songwriting Competition - General Gossip Thread, or on Discord.

Please make sure your files are accessible, and please have an eye on this thread! :tu:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC076 December 2023 - Voting until 03-JAN-2024 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Mister Fox »

Let us kick off the VOTING PROCESS, which will end on Wednesday, 03-JAN-2024 23:59 UTC+1/CET latest
Info: due to the Winter Holiday season, the "feedback and voting period" has been extended by 2 more days.

There is a GLOBAL COUNTDOWN to check for deadlines.
Just follow this link: Global Countdown (on homepage)

Here is the collection of productions from all participants (in hope that I didn't forget anyone). As usual, if you click on the small upwards-arrow right beside the quoted name, you can jump to the original post and read up on the documentation for this production.

APi_ZZ wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 15:31 CET
"Lights In Odd Meters"

KukoBass wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 09:20 CET
"Festive Lights V7"

WAV: Google Drive playback and download
VCA-089 wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:27 CET
"Lights"

FLAC: Google Drive playback and download
MP3: Google Drive playback and download

BONUS VIDEO
► Show Spoiler
colorado weeks wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 05:10 CET
"LEDs"

phpBB [media]

MP3: Direct Download
Doc Jon wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 16:04 CET
"Christmas Lights"

msgsaltsweet wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 05:39 CET
"Lights"

BONUS VIDEO
► Show Spoiler
Arelem wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 02:17 CET
"Spotlight"

Brandon740 wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 15:49 CET
"Broken Lights

phpBB [media]

ADMIN INFO: No download available, only video (see Rule Book)
EsteveCorbera wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 00:54 CET
"Els Sons De Nadal"

becsei_gyorgy wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 17:41 CET
"The Lights of Christmas"

BONUS VIDEO
► Show Spoiler
merci ferdi wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 19:00 CET
"Lampes Magiques"

ADMIN INFO: Original post with additional info can be found here. This is the follow-up post.
Lady Incognita wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 00:19 CET
"Kiss me under Starry Skies"

phpBB [media]

ADMIN INFO: No download available, only video (see Rule Book)
1ktone wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:00 CET
"The Infinite Light"

JeroenZuiderwijk wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:54 CET
"Lights Dancing In The Night Sky"

WAV: OneDrive playback and download

ADMIN INFO: Original post with additional info can be found here. This is the follow-up post.
Mellow Browne wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:14 CET
"Liquid Flux"

A Future in Noise wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 23:24 CET
"Avenues Full Of Lights"

WITHDRAWN (not participating - feel free to give feedback, but you sadly can not vote for these entries)

<no withdrawn entries>

BONUS ENTRIES (submitted after the deadline - feel free to give feedback, but you sadly can not vote for these entries)

<no bonus entries>

:arrow_right: GAME MECHANIC SUMMARY:
► Show Spoiler

Good luck to all participants! :tu:

If you have an idea for a future Songwriting Competition, please post about this in the theme/genre request page or on Discord.

Post updated: 25-DEC-2023 04:30 UTC+1/CET
Post updated: 25-DEC-2023 04:30 UTC+1/CET - alternative download links added to certain entries
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC076 December 2023 - Voting until 03-JAN-2024 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Mister Fox »

Just a quick reminder:
Please update your posts, everyone! You have until the end-date of the voting process.

Most notably those people, that do not offer downloads of the songs as per the Rule Book (most notably: @Brandon740 and @Lady Incognita), or where it wasn't made clear what version is actually what (most notably: @merci ferdi and @JeroenZuiderwijk -- I showcased your most recent posts, but linked to your initial post with additional info as well). Also please do not forget your documentation. You don't need to list every tool and preset you've used, just please give us a general overview for learning purposes.

Please do not re-upload a new version - your entry is now considered "finished". But to those that only posted Youtube videos -- if you provide an additional WAV file with the correct filename template and even adjusted loudness, this version will be the main source for analysis.
 ! Bonus Info
INFORMATION: If you have submitted your entry in multiple file formats, the statistic sheet (posted alongside the results) will focus on the uncompressed material first (WAV), then FLAC, then MP3. The higher the quality (e.g. lossless format), the less possible loss on bonus points for "Loudness Specs" due to offsets introduced by a used CODEC.

:arrow_right: Oh and, to those that used my photos as "song cover" (@A Future in Noise, @msgsaltsweet and @1ktone) -- please provide proper credits.

I usually utilize image material from pages that offer "Creative Commons" material. However, I remembered one specific photo I made last Winter, which sparked the idea for the theme of SWC076. I only provided those images as inspiration material for this particular Songwriting Competition, I did not state "usable elsewhere".

Proper attribution is mandatory -- bar minimum:

Code: Select all

Image Source: Mix Challenge (2022 / 2023), released under Berne Convention

Photos were only used as visual inspiration for Songwriting Competition 076 / December 2023
on the Mix Challenge audio community. Photos are not allowed to be used / re-used in a different context.

More info:
https://mix-challenge.com 
Although, @msgsaltsweet actually made a screenshot of the whole thing :thinking:
1ktone

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC076 December 2023 - Voting until 03-JAN-2024 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by 1ktone »

My Apologies @Mister Fox . The picture has now been changed. I don't know where I put these attributes in Soundcloud so it's easier just to change the image out. Cheers.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Replacing the image is indeed the simpler solution.
Thank you for getting that sorted out.
VCA-089

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC076 December 2023 - Voting until 03-JAN-2024 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by VCA-089 »

MP3 download link corrected...