2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC076 December 2023 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
1ktone

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC076 December 2023 - Voting until 03-JAN-2024 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by 1ktone »

I've been going over the voting/feedback process and I can honestly say I'm a little confused. So, I'll wait for a few votes to see how this all works. I've listened to all the tracks and they are all great. I even took notes on each of them, but that appears to be more than what is asked for if I'm reading the rules correctly. I didn't feel I needed to be too critical of anyone's work actually as I really do think that all the tracks stand up well as songs in their won right.
Arelem

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC076 December 2023 - Voting until 03-JAN-2024 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Arelem »

I would be a little difficult to explain the voting but you could also look at past battles to see how those went down.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC076 December 2023 - Voting until 03-JAN-2024 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Mister Fox »

Excellent point made my Arelem.

The concept is pretty much the same.
  • Reflect on your experience with the game this month (what did you learn, what would you do better with future productions, etc)
  • this month: give feedback to 7 (or even all - if you want more bonus points) participants
  • cast your vote for your personal top 7 (first position gets highest points, down to last position getting the least)
Use this code to "hide your votes"

Code: Select all

[spoil]
01 Participant A
02 Participant B
03 Participant C
04 Participant D
etc
[/spoil]

You could take a closer look at my feedback for SWC075 / November as starting point
viewtopic.php?p=16082#p16082

Or look at all the interaction from SWC071 / July 2023 (the Video Game Soundtrack related challenge)
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=675

If you're not good with technical feedback, you can always give general feedback. As long as it's more than "great song, like it" and then you move on. The idea here is to interact, give people an idea where there could be possible improvements in the future. Keep it constructive, not destructive.

Oh and... if you want to add more documentation to your entry, please edit your initial post.

That should cover everything :thinking:
APi_ZZ

Post by APi_ZZ »

My learning curve:
I have a probably unusual approach to challenges.
First part of my approach is to avoid any listening to eventually already published entries.
Part two is to spend not more than one or two days on the idea and my possible interpretations.
Part three then is: Do it, publish, done ... OK, if substancial tips or suggestions occur, or corrections are needed, and changes are possible, I am eager to incorporate.This was the case this time with the comment from @Lady Incognita (THX for that!).
Part four is: Lean back and enjoy incoming entries from others. [ That is, if it's not SKIO & Co with hundreds of entries per challenge ... :confused: ]

Learning effect: I could/should/must be more polite in my comments ... :uhuhuh:

My comments:
► Show Spoiler
Top seven entries:
► Show Spoiler
1ktone

Post by 1ktone »

OK. Thank you for all the clarification. I edited my initial post to document the creation process. I'll have the votes and comments in shortly.
A Future in Noise
Song Provider
Song Provider

Post by A Future in Noise »

Hello guys! I just discovered that my submission sounds utterly strange (bad) if I connect my headphones directly to my laptop's output, instead of using the external soundcard the way I usually do. The strange thing is that I listened to four or five of your entries just before, and they sounded perfect.

I know there is nothing wrong with the file I uploaded the 24th. Could it be that my file is 48.000 / 24? In that case some of you, if you listen the way I did a short while ago, may experience the same issue as I did. Only you may think that the weird sound from the guitar was what I wanted.

Please let me know if there is a kind of distortion, and very much of it, that shouldn't be there.
colorado weeks
Backer
Backer

Post by colorado weeks »

A Future in Noise wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 16:38 CET
Hello guys! I just discovered that my submission sounds utterly strange (bad) if I connect my headphones directly to my laptop's output, instead of using the external soundcard the way I usually do. The strange thing is that I listened to four or five of your entries just before, and they sounded perfect.

I know there is nothing wrong with the file I uploaded the 24th. Could it be that my file is 48.000 / 24? In that case some of you, if you listen the way I did a short while ago, may experience the same issue as I did. Only you may think that the weird sound from the guitar was what I wanted.

Please let me know if there is a kind of distortion, and very much of it, that shouldn't be there.
listened to your entry on headphones (using my laptop's sound card) and through laptop speakers and it sounds fine to me!
A Future in Noise
Song Provider
Song Provider

colorado weeks wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 17:29 CET
listened to your entry on headphones (using my laptop's sound card) and through laptop speakers and it sounds fine to me!
Thanks! (But I still wonder about this, I have a quite expensive laptop. But I won't call for admin during Christmas.)
msgsaltsweet

Post by msgsaltsweet »

Last edited by msgsaltsweet on Mon Feb 12, 2024 09:02 CET, edited 1 time in total.
A Future in Noise
Song Provider
Song Provider

I'm sorry to call your attention like this, @Mister Fox, over the weekend, but this is one thing I'm having a hard time trying to push aside:

My own song sounds worthless if I plug my headphones directly into the computer's output. Everything else sounds like it should! However, if I use my external sound card, my entry sounds as it should. And if I import back the wav file (which I've downloaded - back - from Soundcloud) into REAPER, and use ASIO4All (buffer size 512) - then it also sounds as it should, with the same headphones in the same computer's headphone output.

For a while I speculated if this might have something to do with sample rate and bit depth. But now I've checked, and there are at least two more entries that are 48000 / 24, and they sound normal.

What happens when I listen to my own song, with one of the more common apps on the computer (~VLC MediaPlayer, Microsoft's built in etc.) is i.a. that the treble from the electric guitar disappears every now and then.

So now I don't know how it sounds when the other 15 participants listen, except for the person who previously answered.

May I ask what you think about this?