2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC076 December 2023 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
A Future in Noise
Song Provider
Song Provider

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC076 December 2023 - Voting until 03-JAN-2024 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by A Future in Noise »

colorado weeks wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 02:29 CET
... the articulation in the strings parts do not feel edgy enough for a rock and roll track. since you're using BBC Spitfire Audio, i suggest having a spiccato track for some of the shorter string lines for a bit more bite.
In fact I did use spiccato, but only in the second verse, and only in two bars in the second half. Yes, I know this symphony orchestra isn't edgy enough, but I ran out of time, didn't have time to switch, and in fact, this second verse, and the way the eGtr and the strings are combined here, is an experiment I'm very pleased with! :)
Doc Jon

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC076 December 2023 - Voting until 03-JAN-2024 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Doc Jon »

Mellow Browne wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:23 CET
Ooops :oops: , well, then I'm very sorry for assuming this.
Hey, no problem :smile:
Doc Jon

Post by Doc Jon »

Things I have learned during this month’s competition:
This month I learned that if you are writing a Christmas song then nothing, absolutely nothing, rhymes with Christmas (actually RhymeZone suggests isthmus but best of luck getting that into a song!)
This month I tried to make a much more stripped back track than usual, no drums, and much shorter at just over 2.5 minutes and I found those restrictions a welcome challenge

The quality of entries this month was just about the best I have ever seen here, and nice to see so many of them too, very difficult to pin down just 7 for voting

Feedback
► Show Spoiler
Voting
► Show Spoiler
Mellow Browne

Post by Mellow Browne »

Doc Jon wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:22 CET
Things I have learned during this month’s competition:
This month I learned that if you are writing a Christmas song then nothing, absolutely nothing, rhymes with Christmas (actually RhymeZone suggests isthmus but best of luck getting that into a song!)
Excuse my language: :oops:

Ho ho ho, H*e, this is part of my bizness
Cut 'em off and make you wristless on Christmas!

But that would be some stupid gangsta rap stuff :hihi:
becsei_gyorgy

Post by becsei_gyorgy »

Happy New Year!

My december experiences:
The "picture theme" always appeals to me, but it was a difficult start to December this time.
Because the pictures we received were very mixed. The first image was immediately an image full of light, bright, symmetrical composition, giving a calm impression. Typically good for a December, Christmas, rather cheerful song. Overall positive, but the lights can also give the right vibrancy and energy.
The other two pictures, however, suggested an increasingly anxious, depressive feeling.
They were accompanied by a more melancholic, sad feeling (in typical words: darkness, desolation, loneliness, etc.)
So I had rather ambivalent feelings about which way to go. Since the genre was not specified, it was doubly difficult to choose.
So I started to work on a sadder, more lyrical song (with lyrics) along the lines of the latter images, and eventually forgetting that completely, as the holidays approached I tried a more typical Christmas song.
I liked it better because there are few opportunities for traditional symphonic orchestral instruments in this competition.
It was the best for me to work with a traditional orchestral template this month.

About the songs:
I really liked the many different styles of songs, it was nice to listen to them one after the other.
All the songs were of a high enough standard for the competition, congratulations to all.
I wrote down what I would do differently or add to the songs based on my personal impressions, but of course it's just a game, don't take it too seriously.

Feedbacks:
► Show Spoiler
Votes:
► Show Spoiler
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC076 December 2023 - Voting until 03-JAN-2024 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
We're in the final 24 hours to submit your feedback and cast your vote.

Please check post #045 regarding the feedback and voting mechanic. Please don't let yourself be put at a disadvantage by not participating (fully). The Songwriting Competition lives from the given feedback towards each other.

Outside feedback is welcome, of course.
Lady Incognita

Post by Lady Incognita »

Happy New Year everyone! 🧡 This took a minute...

My experience
► Show Spoiler

Feedback
► Show Spoiler
Votes
► Show Spoiler
VCA-089

Post by VCA-089 »

First of all, happy new year to everyone and thank you for your feedback. I didn't expect to see so many entries this month and so many new participants.

My feedback:
► Show Spoiler
Voting:
► Show Spoiler
JeroenZuiderwijk
Wild Card x2
Wild Card x2

Post by JeroenZuiderwijk »

Hi all,

The variety this month made it good fun to listen to all your tracks. High quality music. Everybody made great effort to write a cool track and that makes this challenge fun.

This month I challenged my self to write a song in SunVox using nothing else. The synts and effects in Sunvox are great and working with a tracker makes it easy for me to write music fast....I can bring ideas to live with a speed that is not possible for me in conventional daw software. The idea started with a sound I created with lots of overdrive and delay. Sometimes i just need one sound, one idea that will start a chainreaction. When I played the pianotrack and combined the two it gave me the idea to write a trapbeat under it. The piano was the connection with the 'light' theme... It was a tricky dicision because the beat is a very contrasting vibe with the piano but, like in many of my SWC controbutions I really like to experiment with contrasting vibes and sounds...trying to blend what seems unlogical to blend and see how it can work.

Anyway....I had fun working on this track. I know it is not everybodys taste but that is not the goal of the challenge ;-)

My top 7 is not a reflexion of just my personal musical taste but mostly my appreciation of the creativity and originality of the songs.

Feedback
► Show Spoiler
Top 7....I had too many favorites to place them all in my top 7......but here goes:
► Show Spoiler
A Future in Noise
Song Provider
Song Provider

Post by A Future in Noise »

Lady Incognita wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 05:45 CET
Must confess that I couldn't make out what the lyrics were trying to say, but that doesn't detract from the performance. An interesting track!
Thanks! Clue: " ... in the driveway ... " is supposed to mean 'publicly'. Someone said something (loudly) in public, instead of between two pairs of eyes. (I wanted to keep rhyming.)