2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC076 December 2023 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
A Future in Noise
Song Provider
Song Provider

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC076 December 2023 - Voting until 03-JAN-2024 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by A Future in Noise »

Here's a (temporary) remix made by @alavault, if anyone is interested. Punchier drums, eGtr is handled in a different way, e.g.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rGhGq1 ... sp=sharing

Because my submission was, in fact, just a demo / rough draft. And that's because it usually takes me an average of three weeks to find a new and exciting chord progression with a melody. Something that is catchy but still has some kind of originality. After that the work with the "final product" can begin. Six competitions a year would be fine with me. I might have looked at this differently if I hadn't cared about melody + chord progression, in the first place, but concentrated solely on sound and mixing. But I have my ideals, and that's just the way it is.
KukoBass
Backer
Backer

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC076 December 2023 - Voting until 03-JAN-2024 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by KukoBass »

My experience this month:
This month, I had some time on my hands from the beginning of the contest, and it really helped. I usually need a lot of time to play around with different ideas before deciding in which direction to go. This month, I had a clear idea what kind of song I wanted to write and could directly start to work on it.

In the end, I had even some extra time to play around with production techniques like doubling tracks and layer different instruments. The feedback really helped me to improve the song, though of course there still is a lot of room for improvement. I'm usually reluctant to change a song because I had a tendency to overdo it and make the song worse in the end. This month, it somehow worked out and that makes me very happy.

As usual, first my disclaimer: I'm still new to writing and producing music, so my feedback is from a listener's perspective and very subjective.

I really enjoyed your songs and the different approaches. I have the feeling that the quality of all contributions in terms of writing and production was very high this month.
► Show Spoiler
My voting:
Ranking the songs will always be difficult for me; it always feels unfair towards the ones not appearing in the top choices even if they were top in their genre.
► Show Spoiler
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC076 December 2023 - results in preparation

Post by Mister Fox »

It's the 04th January 2024, 01:25 (UTC+1/CET) - the Voting Period has officially ended.

Sadly, not all participants have submitted final feedback, we would therefore have 3 disqualifications.

I will send out another newsletter/message to those particular participants (@Brandon740, @merci ferdi, @Arelem), give you until the end of Thursday, 04-JAN-2024 as per the rule book on the voting process ("overtime mechanic"). If there is a feedback and a vote by the participant in question, only -5 points will be deducted from the scoresheet. Else, sadly a disqualification.

Once I have this feedback as well, I will post the results within 2-3 days and take "late feedback" into consideration.
(this is not an automated process)

:arrow_right: The only disqualification criteria is by "not participating" with feedback at the end of the game.
Time constraints can happen -- but I do not consider entries to be "withdrawn" at this point. You unfortunately just didn't have the time.

Everyone else, please no more changes to your vote. Thank you.
However, if you miss some fine tuning of certain paragraphs, and/or your "reflection on this month's game", please get that sorted out.

Please have an eye on this thread :educate:
A Future in Noise
Song Provider
Song Provider

KukoBass wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 21:58 CET
The song reminds me of "classic" music, like the basslines of J. S. Bach.
Thank you very much! A comparison with J.S. Bach is probably the finest praise you can receive!
JeroenZuiderwijk
Wild Card x2
Wild Card x2

Post by JeroenZuiderwijk »

A Future in Noise wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 19:33 CET
Here's a (temporary) remix made by @alavault, if anyone is interested. Punchier drums, eGtr is handled in a different way, e.g.

Because my submission was, in fact, just a demo / rough draft. And that's because it usually takes me an average of three weeks to find a new and exciting chord progression with a melody. Something that is catchy but still has some kind of originality. After that the work with the "final product" can begin. Six competitions a year would be fine with me. I might have looked at this differently if I hadn't cared about melody + chord progression, in the first place, but concentrated solely on sound and mixing. But I have my ideals, and that's just the way it is.
Sounds great! I did hear the quality behind the initial less mixed song....personaly I thought the rough edges (and more overdriven guitar) also had some character. But this is very cool to share with us the more polished version of your song.

Cheers,
Jeroen
A Future in Noise
Song Provider
Song Provider

JeroenZuiderwijk wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:59 CET
... personaly I thought the rough edges (and more overdriven guitar) also had some character. But this is very cool to share with us the more polished version of your song.

I listened to your submission again, now that I had some spare time. It begins very promisingly, with the dreamy, somewhat unpredictable notes from the piano. But for me, I have to say that the drum sound, which seems to have the same function as a kick, scares me away from the loudspeakers. It's way too loud, in terms of dB, and doesn't quite fit in, genre-wise either. With my subwoofer on I simply can't listen, it's too harsh for my fragile ears. So I turned off the subwoofer and listened through the song. And my conclusion is, not so unexpected, maybe: the dreamy tonal landscape seems to have been created with care, but the drums - especially the kick - have nothing to do there. (Often eighths from the kick; first on one and then one and a half. For me, personally, it gets very stressful.) The bass is better – is it a fretless bass (plugin)? It works well that it is a bit diffuse, kind of floats around (a lot of chorus FX?).

Cheers, A Future in Noise
merci ferdi

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC076 December 2023 - results in preparation

Post by merci ferdi »

hello everyone, first of all thank you for your feedback on my composition. To be perfectly honest, I don't really feel like giving feedback to each participant. I know I'm going to be disqualified, but that's okay, I had a lot of fun working on this challenge! It's a great exercise in self-improvement.

for those who wanted the lyrics of my song, here they are:

J'ai vu des trucs dans la lumière j'ai vu des trucs dans la lumière
J'y vois des choses que je pense, des choses que je pense avoir
La silhouette blanche de mon reflet
Et l'accès à mon moi intérieur sans visages et sans ardeur

Oui il y avait de la musique dans mes oreilles
Et puis il y avait de la lumière s'échappant des réverbère
Le froid mes pas et ma parka j'y pensais pas
Juste moi et moi dans un monde loin de la planète terre

Aaaaaaaah

have a nice evening and thank you!
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC076 December 2023 - results in preparation

Post by Mister Fox »

It's the 05th January 2024, 00:35 (UTC+1/CET) - the Voting Period extension has officially ended.

Unfortunately, not everyone has sent in feedback and cast a vote (still). We therefore have 3 disqualifications.

Please no more changes to your feedback from this point forward.
I will post the results within 2-3 days. (this is not an automated process)

Please have an eye on this thread :educate:
1ktone

Post by 1ktone »

A Future in Noise wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 19:33 CET

It’s an interesting thing to consider. If it’s a mix competition then you just focus on the quality of the mix. If it’s a song writing situation we seem to want to incorporate our subjective requirements as to how we want it to sound on top of the melody, harmony, lyrical content etc. I still think the core song is good and the only reason I went for mix adjustments as a suggestion is that I didn’t discover any obvious problem with the song itself. If I wanted to I could sit down on my piano or pull out a guitar and play this on my own without any other accompaniment which speaks to the quality of the composition.
A Future in Noise
Song Provider
Song Provider

1ktone wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 00:25 CET
I still think the core song is good and the only reason I went for mix adjustments as a suggestion is that I didn’t discover any obvious problem with the song itself.
I feel very flattered, 1ktone. And when it comes to distinguishing between the song per se, on the one hand (chord sequence + melody), and the mix on the other - it's very difficult. Because everyone, including me, is influenced by what they actually hear, that is, the current mix. A song that is mixed completely wrong sounds bad, and then the listener naturally reacts by thinking: I don't like this! In any case, I sometimes wish that a little more attention could be directed to the song "per se" in this community. But mixing tips are always valuable, of course.

And BTW: the two notes connected to “driveway” in the extended chorus has been raised three or four semi-notes. We don't often go into details like that, but why not?