2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC077 January 2024 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Mellow Browne

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC077 January 2024 - Submissions until 24-JAN-2024 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Mellow Browne »

Hello,

First of all, thanks to everybody providing the samples, there was some really cool stuff to play with.

This time I went back to my musical roots and made an R&B/ Neo Soul tune. I really wanted to add some vocals and I had some ideas for melodies but it was very hard to find the right lyrics. It was too cheesy (and my signing not good enough) what I got so I thought an instrumental version would be better. Because of this there is a longer intro and only one „hook“ part.

Main focus for this competition was on creating a nice drum groove, I always thought about building my own drum sample kits so this was a good opportunity to test this how it could work. This was fun and it’s going to be my next project.

The drums were made with Logic Drum Machine Designer, all other instruments were created with Sample Alchemy, except the bass which was made with Sublab XL. The bass also needed a lot of distortion to be audible on tablets and such.

I first started creating a kick. And to get a certain power and punch I had to use several sounds and layer them, always trying to get an optimal phase relation between the sounds. I applied a lot of of distortion, compression, tape saturation and clipping but I also had to use some deessing, mainly on the shaker and hat sounds to get away with harshness and poking sounds.

The drums weren’t quantised, I wanted a little sloppiness in the groove which is typical for Neo Soul so I dragged most things by hand or left as they were played by me.

After I had the drum groove together I used Scaler 2 for the chord progression, I changed the voicing for the pluck synth to build a „quasi“ counterpart to the main piano. The rest just came naturally as I was more and more feeling the vibe.

I also used some panning + volume automation and a few other fx (e.g. Shaperbox at the beginning) throughout the track to make the arrangement more interesting. I added a few snapshots if you want to know what tools I used and feel free to ask for further information.

Here is the link:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Samples I used:
► Show Spoiler
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC077 January 2024 - preparation phase

Post by Mister Fox »

It is the 25th January 2024, 00:05 UTC+1/CET - this month's Songwriting Competition has official ended

STATISTICS:
  • If I didn't miscount, we have 10 submissions this month (6 entries less than last month, and also 3 entries less than January 2023 -- still an outstanding start for the year!)
  • We have 0 submissions after the deadline (as of 25-JAN-2024 00:05 UTC+1/CET)
  • We have 0 submissions that has been disqualified (production released outside of the game's timeframe)
  • We have 1 submission that has been withdrawn (upon request), but still counts within the submission time-frame
  • The "staff balancing vote" add-on rule does not apply (special game mechanics do apply)
  • "Sole Winners Podium" rule (equal or less than eight participants results in a single winner) does not apply (3-position Winners Podium)

:arrow_right: How do we go from there?

Over the course of the next (hopefully) 24-48 hours (usually up to 6-12 hours maximum after the game has ended), I'll gather all links into one post and hot-link to that from the first post of the thread. Please, no more changes to your entries, but please do check your links that these entries are accessible and downloadable. We then perform with the final feedback and "public vote" system.

We have 9 official participants (+1 withdrawn). We are adapting the overhauled vote mechanic, as talked about in the following news blog:

Songwriting Competition - game mechanic changes: Voting Process (October 2022 Update)
(Info: I am aware that the Rule Book has not been properly updated yet. Time constraints, apologies for the inconvenience)

Summarized:
 ! Bonus Info
  • Participants can (and must) vote for their Top 5 entries (tiered mechanic).
  • You're furthermore asked to please reflect on your experience this month (2-3 paragraphs max), what you have learned, what you would like to do different in the future, etc. (personal growth)
  • You are also asked to give feedback to at least five (number: 5) entries (tiered mechanic) -- things that stood out to you, providing some final thoughts and constructive feedback for possible improvements. This adds to the learning experience of our community. it is recommended that these entries are outside of your personal "top entry" voting.
  • Have the chance to get additional bonus points if you decide to invest the time to provide more constructive feedback than the requested minimum. It must be more than just "nice production, please keep up the good work" however. This is to boost more interaction and can balance out your overall points on the score sheet. (get 1 point if you give constructive feedback to 1-2 more participant, get 2 points if you give helpful feedback for everyone)
  • The "Voting Process" mechanic is mandatory for all participants, and the only criteria to drop out of the game by not partaking.
  • The overall "Bonus Point" mechanic still applies. Please update your posts with proper production documentation, most notably regarding whom you have collaborated with (as in: proper credits -- not doing so will result in a 2pt deduction on the score sheet at the end of the game). Please also make your entries downloadable, or provide an additional download link if not existing already. You got until the voting period has ended.
Please cast your vote (not the feedback) in collective form through the "spoiler text" bbcode (button on the WYSIWYG editor that features the orange triangle with an exclamation mark in it). Please use the forum username of the participant to make it easier during the score collection to address what vote belongs to whom.

⚠ Moderation Message from Mister Fox  
For transparency:

The staff (Mister Fox) will not give feedback to all entries and/or cast a vote this month.

(unless there is a tie that can not be broken otherwise)

Feedback from non-participants and/or collaborators is highly encouraged (voting not needed!). The same goes for entries after the deadline, or those that sadly do not count for the current running game (even if you've exceeded the deadline, why not post your entry regardless?). Musicians and Engineers are always after constructive criticism. This is what this forum is about.

Have some general feedback? Please provide that here:
Songwriting Competition - General Gossip Thread, or on Discord.

Please make sure your files are accessible, and please have an eye on this thread! :tu:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC077 January 2024 - Voting until 01-FEB-2024 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Mister Fox »

Let us kick off the VOTING PROCESS, which will end on Thursday, 01-FEB-2024 23:59 UTC+1/CET latest

There is a GLOBAL COUNTDOWN to check for deadlines.
Just follow this link: Global Countdown (on homepage)

Here is the collection of productions from all participants (in hope that I didn't forget anyone). As usual, if you click on the small upwards-arrow right beside the quoted name, you can jump to the original post and read up on the documentation for this production.

crispy wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 03:09 CET
"SUBJECT 77"

APi_ZZ wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 20:30 CET
"Scrambled Sambles"

msgsaltsweet wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 15:33 CET
"Tomato EP"

FLAC: Mix Challenge Mirror download

ADMIN INFO: Entry exceeds 10min limit. And since the Soundcloud link is suddenly no longer accessible, I provided a temporary "Mirror" on the Mix Challenge server (FLAC format).
JeroenZuiderwijk wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 21:50 CET
"What's In A Name"

WAV: Dropbox playback and download
WAV: Mix Challenge Mirror download

ADMIN INFO: Since the OneDrive link didn't work, I provided a temporary "Mirror" on the Mix Challenge server. There is now also a new download link through Dropbox.
VCA-089 wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 16:36 CET
"MEDS"

WAV: Google Drive playback and download
FLAC: Google Drive playback and download
MP3: Google Drive playback and download

BONUS VIDEO
► Show Spoiler
EsteveCorbera wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 23:22 CET
"Ritmes Experimentals"

scottfitz wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 04:58 CET
"Nyamuragira"

1ktone wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:35 CET
"Information"

WAV: Dropbox playback and download
Mellow Browne wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:52 CET
"From Nothing To Something"

ADMIN INFO: this is the direct link to the audio file. The original link also provided screenshots.

WITHDRAWN (not participating - feel free to give feedback, but you sadly can not vote for these entries)

A Future in Noise wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 13:49 CET
"Remains"

BONUS ENTRIES (submitted after the deadline - feel free to give feedback, but you sadly can not vote for these entries)

<no bonus entries>

:arrow_right: GAME MECHANIC SUMMARY:
► Show Spoiler

Good luck to all participants! :tu:

If you have an idea for a future Songwriting Competition, please post about this in the theme/genre request page or on Discord.

Post updated: 31-JAN-2024 12:00 UTC+1/CET -- the entry by @msgsaltsweet vanished - I provided an alternative download link (FLAC format)
Post updated: 26-JAN-2024 05:10 UTC+1/CET -- @JeroenZuiderwijk provided a new / working download link
Post updated: 25-JAN-2024 21:25 UTC+1/CET -- mirror for @JeroenZuiderwijk's entry due to access issues
Post updated: 25-JAN-2024 04:30 UTC+1/CET
JeroenZuiderwijk
Wild Card x2
Wild Card x2

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC077 January 2024 - Voting until 01-FEB-2024 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by JeroenZuiderwijk »

"JeroenZuiderwijk wrote: ↑"???"

WAV: OneDrive playback and download

ADMIN INFO: Track currently not accessible (25-JAN-2024 4:35 UTC+1/CET)"

Mr. Fox, I Have checked the link but here it seems to work fine.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC077 January 2024 - Voting until 01-FEB-2024 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Mister Fox »

Can't access the file. Asks me to "log in".

Please log out of your OneDrive account or try the link with a device/browser that is not logged in to confirm that the link works. Thank you
1ktone

Post by 1ktone »

JeroenZuiderwijk wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 07:53 CET
"JeroenZuiderwijk wrote: ↑"???"

WAV: OneDrive playback and download

ADMIN INFO: Track currently not accessible (25-JAN-2024 4:35 UTC+1/CET)"

Mr. Fox, I Have checked the link but here it seems to work fine.
I can’t access it either without needing to sign in. Would love to hear it.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC077 January 2024 - Voting until 01-FEB-2024 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Mister Fox »

I managed to download @JeroenZuiderwijk's entry (needed to log in with a Microsoft account).

I've created a "mirror" on the Mix Challenge server. You can find that link in post #033.
Proper listening / writing feedback / voting is now possible. Apologies for the inconvenience.
JeroenZuiderwijk
Wild Card x2
Wild Card x2

Post by JeroenZuiderwijk »

Mister Fox wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 21:29 CET
I managed to download @JeroenZuiderwijk's entry (needed to log in with a Microsoft account).

I've created a "mirror" on the Mix Challenge server. You can find that link in post #033.
Proper listening / writing feedback / voting is now possible. Apologies for the inconvenience.
I HAVE THE CHANGED THE LINK TO A DROP-BOX ACCOUNT LINK. THIS ONE SHOULD WORK:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/4w6a3t7t ... vf4gm&dl=0
scottfitz
Backer
Backer

Post by scottfitz »

Hi all,
Crispy - "Subject 77"
When I heard this I realise how bad my track is! This point goes for all the other tracks really :) Anyway, I think this track is interesting all the way through, constantly using variations in rhythm, tone and arrangement. The mix is clean and I like the way that you've used some sounds completely dry with very aggressive use of effects in a controlled way. I don't ever get tired of that distorted bass tone.

APi_ZZ - "Scrambled Sambles"
Really enjoyed it, so much creativity and skill. I found the diversion at 0:44 a little jarring but it's great once you get into it. Some of the long held synth tones I find a bit fatiguing at times, I think there's a high tone held from around 0:50 for a minute and then continuing onto other high notes and really it's fine as a composition, but maybe it can be made smoother in the mix with EQ or modern adaptive EQ type plugins. Apart from these small points though, I loved it.

msgsaltsweet - "Tomato EP"
The drum track in general is brilliant. It's a hypnotic track, I can put this on and then work or I could imagine it in a club also. The sounds at 5:12 for the 3rd section I find a little too out there and perhaps the mix around that section has an issue with a few mid and frequencies becoming a bit insistent. At 6:56 the change reminds me of Aphex Twin, that disorientating sense. I particularly like the section around 8:00 when the bass line hits the new beat. I think perhaps the snare sound that we hear a lot from 10:09 and also in the first section of the track is a bit much to hear with that regularity? Maybe it could be a touch less abrasive sounding. I'm sure this is exactly what you wanted. Anyway great track.

JeroenZuiderwijk - "What's In a Name"
I think this is a well composed musical track which is a great achievement when you are confined with sounds. Love those aggressive drum sounds. I feel maybe the synths are just a touch too high vs the beat, but could be a matter of taste only.

VCA-089 - "Meds"
Lovely track, this is first one where I am genuinely a bit thrown by how much you've done with the audio provided, it's like you have created virtually anything. Well done. I think the mix is good but sounds a tiny bit muddy at times, maybe the drum reverbs are the problem? I'm not sure.

EsteveCorbera - "Ritmes Experimentals"
Really interesting track, in terms of harmonic ideas I think this is the most experimental of all the ones for this round. It's like you've thrown away all the rulebooks and just gone for it. It makes for a quite unsettling track, but I commend you for it.

1ktone - "Information"
Made me smile, great ideas here. I like the courage to make a minimalist track. I think the concept works very well, to have a sense of overload of relatively meaningless information brought to us with all the bleeps and the robotic feel of the drums. Then to have the chorus which gives us relief that when we leave the house and step into the light, everything's ok. It does leave me with the feeling that everything is very far from ok in fact, but at least we had a moment of escaping partially. nice work

Mellow Browne - "From Nothing to Something"
I really enjoyed the swirling opening and interesting effects. Then into that fat beat, so good. Just needs a rapper on there :) I give you the win for how nice that beat is. All the sounds feed into it perfectly and how it comes to life at 2:14 is amazing.

So naming a top 5, I will go

1. Mellow Browne - "From Nothing to Something"
2. APi_ZZ - "Scrambled Sambles"
3. Crispy - "Subject 77"
4. msgsaltsweet - Tomato EP
5. VCA-089 - "Meds"

For my own experience, it was rewarding for me to make something the way I wanted the sounds to be after entering a lot of mixing competitions where I was relatively confined. I personally love ambient music and a lot of murky tones. My process was to start with the pad chord sequence - the C Am G F and then put this down an octave and it already felt like the world I wanted, so then I went through all the other sounds in the folders and decided whether or not they were welcome. I think I am missing many of the skills I need to do this kind of track properly and listening back I think it's quite a lazy creation in that there are too many parts just looped and nowhere near enough interesting things happening.

The part I liked doing the most was the drum beat, with the idea of a smashing printer making such an abrasive snare sound giving me a lot of satisfaction. However I needed to do more with those sounds having spent the time creating them. A lot of the other aspects of the track were a bit basic in hindsight, the idea was I wanted to leave a certain amount of the sound unprocessed so that you could hear clearly the wrapping paper really close up. I imagined in the volcanic scene this could be the smoke.

Well done to everyone, you are a very talented bunch and I loved listening to all your creations.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Quick update:

@JeroenZuiderwijk provided a new download link that is now working. I will keep the "mirror" file on the Mix Challenge server up for another day in case something is still off. Thank you for sorting this out.