2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC078 February 2024 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC078 February 2024 - Submissions until 24-FEB-2024 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
We're in the final 24 hours to submit your production.

Please get your production ready and submitted (through the forum) today.

To make it easier for me to create the collection post, please update your initial post with the appropriate links (final version), or explicitly mark your entry as "final entry". Thank you.

If I didn't miscount, we have 7 entries so far. :headphones:
We need at least 9 for a full podium, and 15 for a possible expansion.
KukoBass
Backer
Backer

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC078 February 2024 - Submissions until 24-FEB-2024 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by KukoBass »

Hello everybody,

I could not finish my song, I consider it still as "work in progress". There should be a vocal about how it is OK to go step by step, but how you sometimes need to take a leap of faith to get ahead. The lyrics are not finished yet.
To enter the song anyway, I recorded some guitar as placeholder for the melody and the missing vocals.

The WAV is here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/13_Xra4 ... drive_link

Tools used:
► Show Spoiler
Lady Incognita

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC078 February 2024 - Submissions until 24-FEB-2024 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Lady Incognita »

Sorry, I decided to withdraw my entry. I'm not happy with its WIP state. I'm glad to see there are still 9 entries without mine to support a full podium of winners. Good luck everyone! 🧡
Last edited by Lady Incognita on Sun Feb 25, 2024 02:50 CET, edited 2 times in total.
EsteveCorbera

Post by EsteveCorbera »

Good night,
I just updated my track. You will find it in the original post: viewtopic.php?p=16520#p16520
Mellow Browne

Post by Mellow Browne »

Hello,

sorry for the late entry!

The theme of this month inspired me to compose a more soulful gospel style and I thought why not play the drums myself because I feel I made a "small step" the last few month in getting more consistent with the timing. I will use it as a backing track in the future.

I recorded the drums with my Apollo Twin interface.

I would love to hear some vocals on top, so maybe it could become a bit repetitive, I tried to compensate with some drum variations at the end. Let's see how bad I was :lol:

The mix was made in a rush because of the dead line, could be better!

Here is the link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZNnmZn ... share_link

Cheers!

Tools I used:
► Show Spoiler
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC078 February 2024 - preparation phase

Post by Mister Fox »

It is the 25th February 2024, 00:15 UTC+1/CET - this month's Songwriting Competition has official ended

STATISTICS:
  • If I didn't miscount, we have 9 submissions this month (1 entries less than last month, and also 1 entry less than February 2023)
  • We have 0 submissions after the deadline (as of 25-FEB-2024 00:15 UTC+1/CET)
  • We have 0 submissions that has been disqualified (production released outside of the game's timeframe)
  • We have 1 submission that has been withdrawn (now fully deleted, therefore it can't count to the overall participation)
  • The "staff balancing vote" add-on rule does not apply (special game mechanics do apply)
  • "Sole Winners Podium" rule (equal or less than eight participants results in a single winner) does not apply (3-position Winners Podium)

:arrow_right: How do we go from there?

Over the course of the next (hopefully) 24-48 hours (usually up to 6-12 hours maximum after the game has ended), I'll gather all links into one post and hot-link to that from the first post of the thread. Please, no more changes to your entries, but please do check your links that these entries are accessible and downloadable. We then perform with the final feedback and "public vote" system.

We have 9 official participants. We are adapting the overhauled vote mechanic, as talked about in the following news blog:

Songwriting Competition - game mechanic changes: Voting Process (October 2022 Update)
(Info: I am aware that the Rule Book has not been properly updated yet. Time constraints, apologies for the inconvenience)

Summarized:
 ! Bonus Info
  • Participants can (and must) vote for their Top 5 entries (tiered mechanic).
  • You're furthermore asked to please reflect on your experience this month (2-3 paragraphs max), what you have learned, what you would like to do different in the future, etc. (personal growth)
  • You are also asked to give feedback to at least five (number: 5) entries (tiered mechanic) -- things that stood out to you, providing some final thoughts and constructive feedback for possible improvements. This adds to the learning experience of our community. It is recommended that these entries are outside of your personal "top entry" voting.
  • Have the chance to get additional bonus points if you decide to invest the time to provide more constructive feedback than the requested minimum. It must be more than just "nice production, please keep up the good work" however. This is to boost more interaction and can balance out your overall points on the score sheet. (get 1 point if you give constructive feedback to 1-2 more participant, get 2 points if you give helpful feedback for everyone)
  • The "Voting Process" mechanic is mandatory for all participants, and the only criteria to drop out of the game by not partaking. Please don't just collect feedback, and not give back to the community.
  • The overall "Bonus Point" mechanic still applies. Please update your posts with proper production documentation, most notably regarding whom you have collaborated with (as in: proper credits -- not doing so will result in a 2pt deduction on the score sheet at the end of the game). Please also make your entries downloadable, or provide an additional download link if not existing already. You got until the voting period has ended.
Please cast your vote (not the feedback) in collective form through the "spoiler text" bbcode (button on the WYSIWYG editor that features the orange triangle with an exclamation mark in it). Please use the forum username of the participant to make it easier during the score collection to address what vote belongs to whom.

⚠ Moderation Message from Mister Fox  
For transparency:

The staff (Mister Fox) will not give feedback to all entries and/or cast a vote this month.

(unless there is a tie that can not be broken otherwise)

Feedback from non-participants and/or collaborators is highly encouraged (voting not needed!). The same goes for entries after the deadline, or those that sadly do not count for the current running game (even if you've exceeded the deadline, why not post your entry regardless?). Musicians and Engineers are always after constructive criticism. This is what this forum is about.

Have some general feedback? Please provide that here:
Songwriting Competition - General Gossip Thread, or on Discord.

Please make sure your files are accessible, and please have an eye on this thread! :tu:

EDIT: 25-FEB-2024 5:50 - change in quick stats, entry has now been fully deleted and does no longer count to the overall statistics, resulting in 9 entries instead of originally 10
EDIT: 25-FEB-2024 3:00 - change in quick stats, as one user decided to "withdraw" mid-setup for the Voting/Feedback mechanic
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC078 February 2024 - Voting until 01-MAR-2024 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Mister Fox »

Let us kick off the VOTING PROCESS, which will end on Friday, 01-MAR-2024 23:59 UTC+1/CET latest

There is a GLOBAL COUNTDOWN to check for deadlines.
Just follow this link: Global Countdown (on homepage)

Here is the collection of productions from all participants (in hope that I didn't forget anyone). As usual, if you click on the small upwards-arrow right beside the quoted name, you can jump to the original post and read up on the documentation for this production.

crispy wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 14:20 CET
"Dancing in the Rain"

APi_ZZ wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:36 CET
"Take A Cinematic Leap"

JeroenZuiderwijk wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:40 CET
"Leap Into The Unknown"

WAV: Dropbox playback and download
EsteveCorbera wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 00:19 CET
"El Canvi De Decada"

TrojakEW wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 17:53 CET
"Femme Fatale"

shroom feverish wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 20:11 CET
"Sapiens Dominabitur Astris"

WAV: Google Drive playback and download
becsei_gyorgy wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 19:04 CET
"Take The Step"

KukoBass wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 15:15 CET
"Take A Leap" (V6)

Mellow Browne wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 23:46 CET
"I Promise"

ADDITIONAL DOWNLOAD:
 ⚠ Moderation Message from Mister Fox  
The following is an experiment to see how many of you would rather prefer a "global download" of all files (after feedback I received behind the scenes). This is basically a copy of all the links above, just in collected form. The collection only features files provided in their highest quality. There won't be alternative versions. This particular pack will also not feature withdrawn entries.

Please keep in mind, this is extra work for me. This is a test-run and might be a one-time deal.

:arrow_right: You can find the file here: SWC077 - all entries (433,50 MB, LZMA compressed, zip)
EDIT: Download removed on 03-MAR-2024 -- thank you for participating in this test run

The provided files were packed as ZIP with LZMA compression (specs from 2015).
File size extracted: 468,47 MB, packed 433,50 MB (ZIP, LZMA)

In order to extract the files, we can recommend these programs / apps:
► Show Spoiler

WITHDRAWN (not participating - feel free to give feedback, but you sadly can not vote for these entries)

<no withdrawn entries>

BONUS ENTRIES (submitted after the deadline - feel free to give feedback, but you sadly can not vote for these entries)

<no bonus entries>

:arrow_right: GAME MECHANIC SUMMARY:
► Show Spoiler

Good luck to all participants! :tu:

If you have an idea for a future Songwriting Competition, please post about this in the theme/genre request page or on Discord.

Post updated: 25-FEB-2024 03:40 UTC+1/CET -- initial post
TrojakEW

Post by TrojakEW »

I think I already posted some thought about my finding during this round. It is more like "newer does not mean better". Also that there is still too much room for improvement in every respect. I can say that competition like this or any other are very good place to improve and learn new things. The best place to get feedback although it may sometimes sounds harsh but it is not to throw away someone else's work but to put some personal opinion that may lead to bigger leap and maybe improvement. It is good place to read and learn from comments not just on your own track but from comments of other to other tracks. Since you already listened track and know about it you are able to see the view of different people and know about their opinion and way.

So let me be the first to post some comments.

---------------------------------------
crispy - "Dancing in the Rain"
Interesting track with some nice passages. Good choice of instruments for the type of track except drums. What I mean is not good choice in regards of sound but selection of instruments regards the style. If we are going to talk about sound, well they are quite synthetic and this lower the quality or rather said overall mood of the otherwise nice track. I'm used to listen to midi track so I'm able to make it sound more acoustic in my head, but not all listeners are able to do that. This is why the sound and dynamics of instruments for that type of music is important. As I mention before it sound that all instruments are played on the same dynamics/velocity. No audible changes. This means more synthetic feel. I know that not everyone have access to good selection of sampled instruments, but even instruments do not have multiple dynamics you are able to simulate it to some extend by using low pass filter. This what I did before I have any better libraries. Also regards humanization and trimming. In combination with your no dynamic changes for instruments, it makes it sound even more synthetic. Especially rhythm part like drums and bass especially the snare that is for sure same velocity level during whole track. I like the the part with organ starting at 2:30 that have improvisation feel and also transition to another section before 3 min. The same improvisation feel with piano that starts at 1 min. Those are nice and give track jazzy feel as you described. In regards of theme, the track for me paint image of haste. It feels like somebody forget to do something and trying to catch up. It does not give image of leap but it feels more like usual day for most humans. Busy life full of stress.

In regards of mix there was already talked too much but still some more info from my side. So even track may look by numbers balanced the sound is weak and sounds are glued too much together. Most instruments use bigger or different reverb settings to others, like drums and especially bass that feel almost dry. Also your Flex piano sound there are some phase issue. I think it is piano it is not easy to be sure in mixed track but number shows that it should be and the problems are somewhere between 1 and 3kHz. Nothing serious just want to show how some instruments are broken already without even doing anything to the sound.

APi_ZZ - "Take A Cinematic Leap"
Intro, the first 13 seconds sound bit chaotic. If it was mean to be as ambient part it feels more like something that is drowned in reverb. Everting sound fighting there for own place but none of them are able to lead and it doesn't have any tension and ambient feel. Also too much reverb and correlation meter show some issue. The issues are even audible by ears where is clear to hear you are aiming for too wide stereo sound. It sound very very metallic and glued together too much. No stage just one sound made of more instruments. Timpani that are introduced just after make it sound bit better because it looks they are on different mix buss with different reverb and positioning. It almost sounds you were trying to cut as much from those sounds in order give the space needed for timpani. Well it does not work well the way you did it. Not sure if there was some issue during export but at 18 sec there is some jump and clicking sound. Track even later is, well there is too much reverb for me and it sounds metallic. Composition is quite nice with a lot of breaks and changes. I like orchestral pieces no matter if it is old school or modern epic music. I like the slow paced changes and mood starting at the 1:50 with the choir. At 2:30 you have similar issue like at the beginning. Just small almost like jump cut and click sound. Ostinato at 2:50 is nice but kind of overused and it almost like dejavu for me. I already hear that sequence in so many tracks. In regards of theme we had, I'm not sure. Even the music is interesting it is have more ambient/tension feel but I have problem imagine what are you trying to say with this peace in the context of this month theme.

Mix is biggest problems here. As I mention the track is drowned in reverb, that add some more problems to the sound and in some part it also creates bad sounding resonation. Best example is at the end with that ear piercing high marimba. Not pleasant.

JeroenZuiderwijk - "Leap Into The Unknown"
The first noticeable thing in your track before I even start to concentrate on music is sound. Just right t at the start it sound weak and without air. Also stage is flat even with that reverb on. Not to mention that rhythm part sound almost dry compared to the melody plucked piano. Again too much reverb. After the riser it started to sound really better so I'm not sure if this was on purpose but even it was, it doesn't sounds good. That brass section starting at 35 sec is interfering with your distorted bass. Those two fight each other. Theme played with the brass sounds bit random. Even played several times in row I'm not able to remember anything so it is a theme without theme. Second half/part is almost the same non memorable brass section that sound like it is repeating 2 times in that second half of track. So for me track lack theme. There is no instrument that define and set the mood. No melody just some playing instruments. Try to make it memorable something that listener will look forward. Something that catches your ear and listener is awaiting it again because the mood and theme is pleasing to the ears. End of track is abrupt. It just stops. No evolution and resolution. Although name really fit the the overall feel of track. It really have unknown mood, so if this was your intention then good. Still even feel of the unknown should be more defined more so it sucks listener in that makes him feel touched by unknown. For me the pace and no theme in the track is main problem. Even without chord progression with just one chord track should have theme that help listener to visualize your thought behind the music you made.

EsteveCorbera - "ElCanviDeDecada"
After first listen I can say the track really shows your connection to your son. It also paint image of your feelings to him. It almost show how are you worried about him that. Those piano arps have those effect that makes me feel you are standing just right behind watching him whole time and giving him gentle know that you are here for him. That is nice because it really feel that way. It is almost like presentation of his life way during those 10 years. So you fit the theme really well. Composition is nice and as I said fit the purpose of the track. For some of us there maybe too much arpeggios there. What I mean that track should have at least one more more simpler part in between similar to something like you have at the end but even more simple and more calm, almost like ambient while maintaining the theme. From track tracks I remember form you, it looks like your mixing is improving. There are still room for improvement but there is definitely big jump. You removed bit to much of higher frequencies and make track sound less airy. Some sounds have bit more lows that it should have but overall mix is not causing any big issues or distractions while listening.

shroom feverish - "Sapiens Dominabitur Astris"
Just right after beginning the track is Michael Cretu/Enigma style ambient track. Nice calming mood. I like it. Simple but it is working very well. Sometimes less is more. That simple ambient guitar is nice additional to make that simple theme more interesting. I think it fit the theme really well. It really paint the image that something big is already behind but also set the mood that it is not over and there is more await you in the future. I can not say more that it is just easy and enjoyable to listen. Nice work. Mix is not bad but I will cut some lows here and even put dynamic EQ to tame frequencies around 40 Hz. Also some boosting with dynamic EQ is some higher range. Some boosting between 3 and 10kHz. Especially around 10 some some more clarity. But current setting does not make any problem during listening.

becsei_gyorgy - "Take the step"
First of I'm bit surprised by this track. From what I hear already from you it is really something different. Almost like not your track at all. Instruments choice and sounds of them or bit weird. Drum kit does not fit fore me at all. It simply does not fit here. Also that organ sounds bit over compressed and it sound bit tiring for the ears. Everything get better with singing around 35 seconds but before that it is simply weird. That singing is nice and it really is main part of the track. Nice change at 1:39 and even better at 2:08 that starting sounds like you including instruments choice. I do like this part a lot. Track is good and easy to listen with nice theme, only that intro is, sorry for that, bad for your standards. Track fit the theme nicely. Mix is not bad only some issue I have with hihats that have some resonances that slightly unbalance high freq range for me. Similar issue have for example that riser you have around 1:35.

KukoBass - "Take a leap"
Start, intro fill sound almost like ethnic/tribal track. Then it suddenly change to something totally different. My opinion, move that drum fill at beginning and start with that piano you have there instead. Nice laidback theme. Bass and also lead guitar sounds nice. Based on track you do not have much experience with drums patterns. Those fill that sound almost tribal like the one at 1:17 does not fit here. Also drum pattern change at 1:40 is even worst. It is like another drummer interfere with your music session and want to sabotage it. I think you fit the theme. It just the mood of the track sounds that leap you have done is not what is should be. Like there are some huge regrets how it ends and it sounds more like step back then step forward. Maybe it was on purpose and you wanted to be like this. Mix sounds good. Maybe better stage? Better positioning of instruments since now it sound more centered.

Mellow Browne - "I Promise"
Now this one is interesting blend of styles. Although you wanted to do soulful gospel it is more like soulful West Coast G funk played with acoustic instruments. This create interesting mood. I like this idea. Simple and nicely done. It fits the theme and have really nice positive feedback. It is like the person that take that leap is quite satisfied of what he achieved. Maybe adding some improvised solo in the middle can bring more life to the track. It is nice but as I said more like background music for some rapper lyrics or some gospel singing. Since there is none of those you should try to do some lead part with guitar. Mix sound good. If it was me I will bring the level of that snare to the level of that rim shot that you have at the end. For me that snare how it is now is bit too upfront.

Now the most hated part for me - voting.
---------------------------------------
► Show Spoiler
KukoBass
Backer
Backer

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC078 February 2024 - Voting until 01-MAR-2024 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by KukoBass »

Mister Fox wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 03:42 CET

ADDITIONAL DOWNLOAD:

The following is an experiment to see how many of you would rather prefer a "global download" of all files (after feedback I received behind the scenes). This is basically a copy of all the links above, just in collected form. The collection only features files provided in their highest quality. There won't be alternative versions. This particular pack will also not feature withdrawn entries.

Please keep in mind, this is extra work for me. This is a test-run and might be a one-time deal.
It is nice to have all entries in one download available, but if it is extra work for you, it's not needed for me.
You're already busy enough with putting up the competition, linking all the posts, reminding us of missing votes and so on.
Mellow Browne

Post by Mellow Browne »

What I learned this month:

To play the drums is easier than I imagined but harder than I thought.
The easy part of it is just repetition and practicing the right things in a manageable but still challenging context. The more efficient you become with your limbs the longer you can play which automatically makes more fun.
But I underestimated how much time it takes to play clean and consistent (almost like a drum machine) the most standard groove you can imagine with a metronome. The hard part of it is to become confident and how long it takes to get a certain skill level where you can just freestyle and add some fills without any major hiccups while playing.
The only thing I would change if I had to redo it is to stick with a specific drum performance, I recorded 8 or 9 takes and every take was different. And I would also record all drum elements individually. Because of the dead line I had to record the stereo output of the TD 17.
There are a few minor timing things but I’m happy with the overall performance. :smile:

So, here is my feedback:

Crispy
I like the overall drive, the tempo and the jazzy direction you went for this theme. I think your entry is not bad, but to my personal taste some things are not quite there yet. The organ solo is really cool and my personal highlight is that little variation 03:05 and how it switches back to the main theme. I think with some more variations/substitutions or chord changes/voicing your entry could even be a bit more „sophisticated“, I mean there are some passages that feel like improvisation freestyle, but still it feels a bit empty and repetitive „musically“.
The overall sound is very compressed (or heavy use of clipper/limiter on the stereo output), and sorry, but I find the vsts sound very cheap, especially the drums. The mix is more midrangey and sounds a bit flat, especially at the end when all instruments come together. I think with different sounds (mainly drums and bass) your entry would sound more natural and not so artificial. I wouldn’t look so much on numbers (like LUFS) because this doesn’t tell you so much about loudness etc.

Api_ZZ
Well, I don’t know how to give you feedback on this one. I can hear that those are samples, and yes it sounds very cinematic/epic etc. But I find it hard to judge the thing YOU have done besides from just putting the samples together and making some volume adjustments. The sample selection and the overall musical direction is nice but I don’t know if I can consider it as music making.
Also, the mix is a bit strange. There is a click noise @ 00:18, maybe from bad editing or something. And overall, the mix sounds very busy and clouded, there is no real separation between elements/instruments, especially the last section. The end is a bit abrupt.

Becsei Gyorgy
Reminds of some 80s/90s music, it has some nice retro vibes and a slight cheesy chord progression. I like the overall vibe of your entry, but sorry, this horrible plastic voice is absolutely annoying! The melody is good and all, you did a great job on this, but this sounds so generic and lifeless. I prefer no voice or vocals, this AI singing stuff is absolutely whack imo. But I understand the use of it as a demonstration of what you had in mind
Kick has a bit too much oomph at the beginning, but later in the song it is not enough. I think rebalancing the volume faders could help here.
There are sections where this 4 on the floor kick pattern doesn’t fit so well and the overall timing gets a bit weird.
The entry is not bad overall, I just can’t stand this AI voice.

EsteveCorbera
Your entry sounds very calm, dreamy, friendly and relaxing. It fits the theme very well and it’s so nice that you dedicated this to your son. Your entry has some cool parts and the sound selections is well chosen for this type of music. Also the fact that you didn't add any drums or percussion grooves is not a problem. It's nice that you created different sections which adds complexity to the simplicity of your entry. Only the switch from section to section is a bit too obvious to my ears, especially @ 03:20.
But it’s nice to hear the improvements you made over the last few months, your entries have way more musical structure and also your mixing has improved. Keep up the good work!

JeroenZuiderwijk
Well, you definitely have your own unique style with a retro video game music feeling, which (if I remember correct) all your entries have in common and which is good. Very energetic synth/brass sounds with a higher tempo. And still, I don’t want to offend you but I would love to hear something different from you. Another genre, tempo, sound selection, something that surprises me. To my taste, your music often sits in this emotional „no-man’s-land“, it’s not minor nor major, not black nor white. At times it feels a bit like random music with no clear chord progression/structure/voicing and avoiding the black keys entirely. Don’t get me wrong, but I have the impression your entries sound too similar to each other. I would love to hear you leaving your „comfort zone“ and to try something you never did before. Sorry, don’t take it personal, or rather take it as a compliment because I really appreciate your contributions and I can hear your „musicality“, I think it just needs some more fine tuning and music theory to bring you to your personal next level.

KukoBass
Another entry that gives me 90s vibes. I like the direction you went with this chilled and relaxing atmosphere. The chord progression is smooth and blends well with the B part. The sound selection is good and the guitar playing is nice. Only the instrumentation is a bit sparse to my taste which makes it just a little bit like a „WIP“. The strings are too much in the background and I’m missing some supporting elements or added chord voicing on top from a piano or something. In sum, well done.

shroom feverish
Cool atmosphere and nice 808 sound. The overall vibe has a lot of tension but still feels very chilled and relaxing. The overall sound selection is very nice and there are lots of little details to discover. Even though I think the mood of your entry doesn’t fit the the theme so much, I find your entry very interesting. It has a nice sound stage and a balanced mixed. I would only take a closer look at your low end, I see a lot is happening in the lowest register (20-40 Hz). In sum, nice job!

TrojakEW
Nice to have you on board again! This has a nice flair, a nice mix of different styles. This entry fits the theme well and the sound selection is absolutely gorgeous. My favourite part is @ 01:30 with those beautiful strings,, wonderful.
The percussion is a bit too much in the front and the instruments are too far in the back and also a bit too dry. There is some reverb on the instruments but somehow the sound stage doesn’t seem to work so efficient like it could have been imo. The mix sounds balanced and good, but I’m missing some depth from the front to the back. Every element has its own place and the separation is good, but it feels like they have all the exact same distance to the listener. Still, great job!

My Top 5:
► Show Spoiler