2021-MAY-06 Info: Want to have fun and just make some music? Check out Songwriting Competition 045.

Mix Challenge - General Gossip Thread

Ask us a question, give feedback, join surveys, make suggestions
Square

Re: Mix Challenge - General Gossip Thread

Post by Square »

Random question, My mix is in 44.1 24. I export in the same format, but when i play it back in VLC it says my bitrate is at 32? Im using cubase 10.5, does anyone know if this is just an error by VLC that youve seen before? Ive even checked previous Mix Challenge submissions that were accepted just fine and in the right format, but they too, come up as 32 bit :face:

Although, not every track does, some show as 16, and they are indeed 16 bit.

Does 24 bit default to 32 bit on VLC as none of my 24 bit files show this.

Also can anyone reccommend an app/plugin/site to verify my bit rate and depth?

Thanks for any help all :tu:

Square

Post by Square »

well sometimes you solve your own problems :educate: lol

For anyone that doesnt already know this:

Just right click choose properties and look at the bitrate and it translates as such:

512kbps = 32kHz 16 bit Mono
705kbps = 44kHz 16 bit Mono
1024kbps = 32kHz 16 bit Stereo
1058kbps = 44kHz 24bit Mono
1152kbps = 48kHz 24 bit Mono
1411kbps = 44kHz 16 bit Stereo
2116kbps = 44kHz 24bit Stereo
2304kbps = 48kHz 24 bit Stereo

VLC is a liar and a fraud :baytins:

Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Square wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:19 CEST
Also can anyone recommend an app/plugin/site to verify my bit rate and depth?
I dug a bit into my archives to see what is "out there" to analyze.
Free, there is really not "much" I'm afraid.

You could always try to right-click on your file and see what the readouts tell you.

For MacOS that actually works quite nicely with the "file Info" feature.
For Windows, the "File Properties > Details" tab doesn't tell you much, unfortunately.

Sadly, AIMP and Winamp won't get you super far either.
If you're using a player like Media Player Classic, you might get readouts like:

Code: Select all

A: pcm_s24le, 44100 Hz, 2 channels, s24, 2116 kb/s

Plugin wise, you could try "Schwa Bitter", but that plugin might not work on modern rigs anymore.
Your audio host might have file analysis tools built in, but this could(!) result in wrong readouts (Audacity comes to mind).

:arrow: But before you shell out money for expensive mastering and analysis tools (as you know, I usually use Wavelab's batch analysis), maybe the following will help:

https://mediaarea.net/MediaInfoOnline

This is an open source software company focused on digital media analysis. In this case, you can analyze files from your browser, and get a readout of metadata in TXT form. It doesn't give you dBTP or LUFS, but the standard meta-data is available. As example, I've used Christoph_K's MC073 Round 2 entry for analysis:

Code: Select all

General
Complete name                            : MC073_TREEEYE_Selga_Christoph_K_R2.wav
Format                                   : Wave
File size                                : 79.9 MiB
Duration                                 : 5 min 16 s
Overall bit rate mode                    : Constant
Overall bit rate                         : 2 117 kb/s

Audio
Format                                   : PCM
Format settings                          : Little / Signed
Codec ID                                 : 1
Duration                                 : 5 min 16 s
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 2 117 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Sampling rate                            : 44.1 kHz
Bit depth                                : 24 bits
Stream size                              : 79.9 MiB (100%)

This might be a good tool for participants to do a quick check of files prior to uploading. You can even analyze multiple files (currently not more than 2, unless you're a paying member).

Hope this helps for the time being.
And thank you for bringing this up. I might actually add this piece of info to the Rule Book. :thinking:

White Punk OD

Post by White Punk OD »

http://www.vuplayer.com/
old, free, handy.
file info is legit. but no usable metering.
<enable 32bit audio, set sample rate in vuplayer plus in audio chip setting (if notebook w/no professional interface) to the files you are checking, else you get a little conversion artifacts>

Square

Post by Square »

:arrow: But before you shell out money for expensive mastering and analysis tools (as you know, I usually use Wavelab's batch analysis), maybe the following will help:

https://mediaarea.net/MediaInfoOnline

-----------------------

This is exactly what i was after!

thanks

Hiwatter

Post by Hiwatter »

⚠ Moderation Message from Mister Fox  
Post moved from Mix Challenge 075 thread:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=430

Wild Cards? LOL.

It gives me anxiety re-reading the rules every month, now we have even more. If the artist is gonna pass on a mix because of a render format mistake or a few clips, that's really unfortunate for them. The dichotomy between trying to make this a real client based mixing experience and having things like disqualification and wildcards is odd to me.

Just My .2c

Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Hiwatter wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 17:04 CEST
Wild Cards? LOL.

It gives me anxiety re-reading the rules every month, now we have even more. ...
Some quick comments on the introduction of the "Wild-Card" mechanic:

This mechanic is to counter the debates from recent months on the rules and guidelines, and the corresponding frustrations linked to that topic. This is not a constant "get out of jail free" mechanic. As in... "whoops, I made a mistake, this has no repercussions anyway".

Mistakes do happen - the ones that sting the most are the slip ups. And sometimes, I (as host) or the song provider turned a blind eye on certain things. Yet this was often either a gut decision, or after long debates (see last March 2021).

Now everyone has an official limited amount of "second chances" for minor/careless mistakes, and should you be given ta second chance, you (as participant) can still decide on whether or not you want to act upon it. The hope here is, that you learn from the mistakes one way or another. Either by "continuing" the game, or taking a step back and just try again from scratch in a future challenge. However, if you decide to progress, you still have to fix your mistake (wrong sampling rate, bitrate, offset loudness, clipping, lack of documentation).

On that behalf, I appreciate the positivity in the MC075 thread, @White Punk OD and @RoadieShow. However - those entries that are not in the right format to begin with (WAV, but I also let AIFF count), are (sadly) not eligible to get a second chance.

Wrong sampling rate and bitrate are often slip ups (careless mistakes). But each game threads make clear right from the start "only WAV files" (although I also accept AIFF). @Edu Cesar has been with us since 2020, and understood what was happening. I know this stings, but I had to draw a line in terms of the "wild-card mechanic" in some shape or form.

White Punk OD

Post by White Punk OD »

My way of reasoning would be - one wildcard whatsoever per challenge, and full power to the song provider, and no past history. If he or she loves the mix, anything else can be corrected later. If the engineer can't still deliver, shame on him. Perhaps in that case, suspended for the next song.
You can rent a perfect supporting technician anytime. But a bright artist in stylish mixing - not that easy.
Just saying humbly, respecting your decisions.

-------
BTW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrqSP3eIuEM
This is how really heavy a Steinway sounds in a good live production! :clap:
The hall is literally shaking.

RoadieShow

Post by RoadieShow »

Mister Fox wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 18:28 CEST

On that behalf, I appreciate the positivity in the MC075 thread, @White Punk OD and @RoadieShow. However - those entries that are not in the right format to begin with (WAV, but I also let AIFF count), are (sadly) not eligible to get a second chance.

Wrong sampling rate and bitrate are often slip ups (careless mistakes). But each game threads make clear right from the start "only WAV files" (although I also accept AIFF). @Edu Cesar has been with us since 2020, and understood what was happening. I know this stings, but I had to draw a line in terms of the "wild-card mechanic" in some shape or form.
Ah, right. I read through the wild card rules rather quickly and didn't realize that an incorrect file format submission disqualifies you from wild card consideration. No worries, the new competition starts soon enough!

Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Since this is a test-run... I could scale things back a bit and offer "wrong file formats" as "minor offense" as well (leaving only: no download possible, no username associated, re-submissions during the deadline, submissions after the deadline). I'd need to talk to the Song Provider about this - which is no problem.

:arrow: The thing is though... where do we draw distinct lines so that it'll be fair for everyone?

Any further thoughts, @White Punk OD / @RoadieShow?