2024-SEP-01 Info: Every September, the Mix Challenge audio community brings awareness to the topic mental health. Please have a look at Songwriting Competition 085.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC099 August 2024 - Mix Round 2 in evaluation

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC099 August 2024 - Mix Round 2 in evaluation

Post by Mister Fox »

Hello and welcome to the Mix Challenge 099 - August 2024

! Bonus Info
This month, you have the chance to work on a "Pop" production by "LosTimpanis", better known as @Isa on our community, who kindly provided these multi-tracks. The song is called "Falling".

This production features a couple of curve-balls. Most notably with only having 1(!) vocal track, and a limited amount of multi-tracks. Your task is to create a coherent mix that embodies the original idea, yet also features your own unique sonic fingerprint.

Interested in a new challenge?

Then please take special note of the attached TXT files in the Mix Pack. And please read about the details and special requirements for handling this mix further down below.

:information_source: BEFORE WE GET STARTED:
  • Please consult the official "Rules and Guidelines" (TL;DR version) for the Mix Challenge regarding principles of the game, upload/submission guidelines, the concept of documenting your edits, and maximum allowed loudness. The Multi-Track Mix Pack also features a "TL;DR Rules.txt" file with the game specific filename template and distribution specs.
  • The focus of this game is "mixing". Try to create a mix in your own style that complements this production and can stand on it's own, no matter the playback medium. Edit/Mix in such a way, that barely any after-touches other than proper fade in/out and finalizing for distribution (incl. loudness adjustments e.g. for release on Streaming, Vinyl, Tape, CD) is needed for a possible follow-up mastering step.
  • The "Mix Pack" and additional information for this months production can be found in in post #002
Read more about this month's competition further down below. And if you got any question, please also reach out on Discord.

:arrow_right: MIX(ING) CHALLENGE THREAD INDEX

Post #001 -- Introduction post and index for the various stages of the Songwriting Competition. Will be updated as we progress
Post #002 -- Submission Period: General Information, Source Material, License Sponsors
Post #003 -- One Time Reminder -- general task, filename template, distribution format, off-site license distribution agreement
Post #114 -- Mix Round 1 Statistics/Data Sheet: Overview of Submissions - is your entry within given parameters?
Post #160 -- Mix Round 2: Global Feedback and Round 2 Participant Announcement
Post #000 -- Mix Round 3: <optional>/<not happening this game>
Post #000 -- Results: Winner announcement
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC099 August 2024 - Submissions until 21-AUG-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

CURRENT CHALLENGE - GENERAL INFORMATION

Time Frame: Thursday, 01st August 2024 to Wednesday, 21st August 2024 (21 days)

Challenge submission will end on 21-AUG-2024, 23:59 UTC+2/CEST (Germany) - until further notice.

Want to find out if you're still within the deadline, please either consult the Global Countdown (dedicated page), or the countdown on the landing site. There will also be short reminders on Social Media and on Discord.

Song Provider: LosTimpanis (represented by @Isa )
Song Name and Length: Falling, 3:04 min
Song Information: 109 BPM / Signature: 4/4
File Format: WAV, 44kHz, 24bit (source)

GENRE: Pop

:arrow_right: Preview of the Song (Demo Mix):

phpBB [media]

INFORMATION: This version might sound different from the provided multi-tracks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:arrow_right: SOURCE FILES:

Main Mix Package - full package (258,55 MB, LZMA compressed, zip)
- or -
Main Mix Package - full package (345,48 MB, regular zip)

IMPORTANT NOTE: download window might show a smaller file size, file unavailable after 21-AUG-2024
File size extracted: 732,07 MB, packed 258,55 MB (ZIP, LZMA) / packed 345,48 MB (regular ZIP)

The provided files were packed as ZIP with LZMA compression (specs from 2015), and for compatibility reasons also in regular zip compression (Deflate, Ultra). Please select the format most appropriate to your operating system.

In order to extract the files, we can recommend these programs / apps:
► Show Spoiler

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A word from the song provider:
Isa wrote:I am Isaac, and I did everything on this song, lyrics, vocal, production, etc.

When writing the song I wanted to evoke the intense feeling of honesty in a confession. The song starts with a solemn attitude then an emotional turmoil of the confession.

This is has been the most time I've ever spent mixing on a song. Most of the EQ filters are cuts, but there some boosts. Notably, the bass guitar and piano is boosted to the mids.

One thing I wanted to copy from a song, which I somewhat succeeded in, was that I wanted to copy the type of piano in "Sora no Utsuro" by Sasanomaly. The piano resembles to me something like a piano on the phone. It is up to you whether that is what the mix needs, but I had written it with that in mind.

My favorite artists are Lena Raine, Dua Lipa, Joe Hisaishi, and Sonora Dinamita. Some vague genre influences or genres I tend to find inspiration from is popular, Latin and Japanese music.

One thing I know I could have done a lot better was my vocal mixing, at times I think I put to much delay. In the audio I provide everything seems balanced to me, which honestly is what I'm aiming for. Definitely more opportunities for creative decisions, but I'm just not that good at creative mixing.

Rule Summary:
► Show Spoiler

:arrow_right: LICENSE SPONSORS (Bonus Prizes):

A huge thank you goes to our very generous License Sponsors for this month's game. Those being (in alphabetical order):
Acon Digital, Audified, Hornet Plugins, IK Multimedia, Kilohearts, Metric Halo, NUGEN Audio and Tone2

A detailed list of offerings can be found in the following information block.
► Show Spoiler

Good luck to all participants.
And most importantly, have fun!
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC099 August 2024 - Submissions until 21-AUG-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

The following is the absolute base-line you need to cover prior to joining the Mix(ing) Challenge.

Failing to adhere to the rules will result in disqualification. There will be no additional reminders given.

⚠ Moderation Message from Mister Fox  
:arrow_right: Prior to joining this Mix(ing) Challenge
  • You must consult and adhere to the official Rules and Guidelines (long version). Bar minimum, please consult the TL;DR Rules version (also available as "TL;DR Rules.txt" with each Mix Pack, also listing the game specific filename template and distribution specs)
  • Please pay attention to details such as sampling rate, bit rate, maximum signal strength, file name template and documentation. Check this before you upload your entry.
  • Your entry must be accessible and easy to download by the time the deadline has been reached (21th of the month, 23:59 UTC+2/CEST). Cross check with a different device and/or browser.
  • No re-uploads - your submission is final.

:arrow_right: Important Stats to check prior to uploading

Filename Template: MC099__LosTimpanis__Falling__ForumUsername.wav

Song Length: 3:04 min (edit no shorter than 2:59.317min!)

File Format: WAV, 44kHz, 24bit (export)
Loudness (min/max): anything between -24,0 LUFS to -16,0 LUFS ILk, -1,00 dBTP max

:arrow_right: Off-site redistribution agreement

Our Song Provider for this month, @Isa, does allow the usage of this song as part of a personal mix portfolio without prior communication. Please consult the bundled TXT for proper attribution credits.

INFO: This post is still a test-run to see how many people adhere to given rules. You can find everything you need to know in post #002 and the Mix Pack bundled TXT files. This third post might become redundant again after MC100.

EDIT: Initial Post on 31-JUL-2024 22:05
PonySho

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC099 August 2024 - Submissions until 21-AUG-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by PonySho »

Excellent song. I'm in :-). Thanks Isa.
cpsmusic

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC099 August 2024 - Submissions until 21-AUG-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by cpsmusic »

Hi All,

I have a couple of general questions.

In the "Words from the Song Provider" it says:
The original mix didn't feature a fade out in the end, while the
official release does. Maybe you find a better solution - if so,
please go a bit more into detail with your decision.

The multi-tracks are also cut quite short - please leave suitable
space in front and back for possible follow-up edits.
In one of the previous challenges there was some "controversy" about the song length. Could we please have some guidelines on what's an acceptable range regarding song length?

Also, in the source tracks folder there's a folder called "Guides" - could the song provider explain what these are?

And finally, there's a file called "Drums_Snare_SpringorPlate". I realise that this is the snare reverb but I'm curious about the naming. Why "SpringorPlate"?

Cheers!
kombainera

Post by kombainera »

A bit of topic but just finish kinda my version of the mix and wanna share something. So i am working in cubase and before export i am watching the supervison plugin in the monitoring section witch is set to 0 db. So the stats there are -17 to -16.1 lufs integrated and true pick -1.05 left and -1.06 right . Notice that i am watching both channels for true pick because 2-3 games ago i was using the free Youlean meter and its turn that its show somewhat middle values of the sumed 2 channels and even if it says that my true pick is before -1 db there is still possible one of the channels to be above -1. And so after metering my start with supervision just for 2x check i load the track in reaper and run dry run in the render tab and there big difference in the stast in reaper there are pick 0 left 0 right and integrated -13.8 lufs . For me the only way to bypass this is to use the same software that @Mister Fox is using to check the mixes and its just one of endless "music programmers" nonsense that i see more more in every daw unfortunately.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Let me answer the following questions really quick.

cpsmusic wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2024 04:45 CEST
In one of the previous challenges there was some "controversy" about the song length. Could we please have some guidelines on what's an acceptable range regarding song length?
Please check in with the bundled "TL;DR Rules.txt" and both post #002 (Rule Summary) and post #003.

My recommendation: If I mix a song, I usually add 1/4th a bar in front and back of a mix for any possible follow-up edits.

cpsmusic wrote:
Also, in the source tracks folder there's a folder called "Guides" - could the song provider explain what these are?
I can explain that for you. As the name implies, these are sound "guides". In this particular case, they are remnants of the very first multi-tracks I got, showcasing how a certain instrument section "could" sound (which is why I turned them to "snippets"). Turns out, the drums were originally "just blended", resulting in this particular over-processed sound.

It is up to you which route you go in terms of mixing :bulb:

cpsmusic wrote:
And finally, there's a file called "Drums_Snare_SpringorPlate". I realise that this is the snare reverb but I'm curious about the naming. Why "SpringorPlate"?
I'm not sure that this is a "reverb track". Although, these are how the files were named originally.

I unfortunately can not further comment on that. Only our Song Provider can. :thinking:

kombainera wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2024 11:22 CEST
For me the only way to bypass this is to use the same software that @Mister Fox is using to check the mixes and its just one of endless "music programmers" nonsense that i see more more in every daw unfortunately.
I am not sure that you're using the signal analysis correctly in either of your DAW (Cubase, Reaper). I would make sure that there are no gain boosts or other alterations involved (e.g. Pan Law in Cubase, using the plugin pre-fader or post-fader, etc), that you use the analysis tool at the very last stage of your signal chain (on the summing bus), etc.

I am using Wavelab 10 for batch analysis, since this also offers me to create statistic sheets. Getting this DAW just to get "on the same page" is kind of silly. However, you mentioned Youlean Loudness Meter -- which is a great and "affordable" alternative.

If you're using the Free variant of Youlean LM2, use either the ITU-R BS.1770-4 or EBU R128 preset, then run the mix through the plugin in real-time. After that, check that your mix doesn't exceed -16,1 LKFS/LUFS ILk (Integrated), and neither -1,1 dBTP -- to keep tolerances in mind.

If you're using the Pro variant of Youlean LM2, use either the ITU-R BS.1770-4 or EBU R128 preset yet again. Now you got several options. Either run the mix through the plugin in real-time, use the "load" function, or drag-and-drop the WAV file on top of the LM2 user interface. The last two options are faster-than-real-time processing and also evade possible gain offsets while "streaming through" the analyzer. Else, the same rules apply: check that your mix doesn't exceed -16,1 LKFS/LUFS ILk (Integrated), and neither -1,1 dBTP -- to keep tolerances in mind.

If I check with Wavelab 10's Batch Analysis at the end of the game, I should not see any overshots. Although if I do, they might be within the allowed tolerances.

Please also check that there is no input gain offset set in LM2 (see settings), or anything that affects the analysis (as in: gain plugins or gain offsets of a file prior to real-time usage). Yes, Youlean LM2 does not show individual dBTP readouts for L/R, but a simplified/"combined" readout based on the highest peak. Else, every LUFS meter has certain tolerances - hence me mentioning -16,1 LUFS ILk and -1,1 dBTP. Unfortunately, Youlean LM2 does not show you the sampling rate and bitrate of the file. Either use a file inspector, or the "load WAV" function of your DAW, which usually also shows you the sampling rate and bitrate in an info box.

This should answer your question. :educate:

If not, please ping me on Discord, and we can figure something out. :thinking:
kombainera

Post by kombainera »

Thanks@Mister Fox for the fast and detailed answer and for the offer of additional assistance. My frustration come from the fact that i just dont know to what to trust anymore. If Youlean can get the job done its fine for me but even with it see what happend. I open my project in cubase ,my limiter is putted on slot after the fader because in cubase this matter-saying it cose maybe someone that will read this post may dont know this fact . The limiter is set to -1.3 true peak , master fader at 0 controll room fader at 0 too no pan law settings. I put Youlean on 2 spots with purpose. First after the limiter on the master channel witch is again after fader. Second on first slot in the control room. The mix looks fine everything is like it must be and there is no difference in the too versions of the loadness plugin that i put.
Same thing with reaper again. I open new project and add the exported file. Master fader 0 track fader 0 no pan laws strange setting or something just Youlean on the master as fx and i am getting with 3 more at least LUFS integrated and above 1 db true pick more in values. If the difference was 0.1 to 0.3 its ok but more then 1 db its very odd.
At the end i take the Pro version of the plugin just so i can drag and drop the file in a standalone Dawless way and gess what LUFS like in cubase araund -16 true pick 0.2 ... i am even clipping ... how its possible with limiter set to true pick to -1.3 celling and i am 100 %sure that the limiter is set to true pick mode because i look at the setting there at least 3 times to be sure not to mention that i am using it just for volume he is not even working at all.
After all of this i think that its time the audio community to ask the big brands in the game for at least some sort of standarts because like u see its pure mess. I will send a link to the file in discord just to see witch of the methods is close to the correct values. Sorry in advance for the wasted time for something so petty and so significant at the same time.
Edling

Post by Edling »

@kombainera I usually create a separate DAW project called "<MixName>_Analyze" where I add a single stereo audio track pointing to the file location I'm bouncing the mix to. In this project I only add analyzer tools, just as an extra precaution that I'm analyzing the actual wav I exported. Like you say, the bounce process can be more or less intuitive in different DAW's, not to mention that the good analyzers hog a lot a CPU I want to use for other stuff anyway :smile:
Old-school mixer that started out in -95 on tape-machines and analog desks. Today mostly in-the-box. Big UAD fanboy
Christoph_K

Post by Christoph_K »

Again a big thank you @Isa for providing the tracks for this challenge!

I wondered what would be the right vibe for the track. I knew it should sound a little weird and unique but I couldn’t figure out what to do. Listening to the provided mix didn’t help me a lot and so I ended up creating a vibe which somewhat remains undecided between being a kind of polka-esque love declaration and a pop-dance track which reminds me (only remotely) of dance monkey from Tones And I. Here’s what I did:

All tracks are treated with SSL4k via Softube Console 1 as the last plugin in their channels.

DRUMS
Kick: 1176LN
Snare: EL Mike-E
Snare bottom: UA 670
Overheads: UAD Fatso
Drum Room: Waves Kramer PIE
Kick and Snare have parallel processes for punch (DBX160, AA Sunglow) and crunch (UADRAW).
All Drumtracks are summed into two parallel busses with different compression settings (33609 plus Gold Clip and API2500, both with SpiceRack for saturation)

BASS
The bass is split into the DI track (compressed with XLA-3) and a copy which runs through Mammoth for saturation. I made a third copy for the guitar like sound with a high pass filter and lots of spring reverb (VREV-63, AKG BX20), like in the provided rough mix. I also „stole“ the end of the rough with the chopped bass in the end - I hate fade outs.

ACOUSTIC GUITAR
The acoustic guitar is treated with Arturias Sitral and LA-3A.

PIANO
The piano is high passed and treated with UAD Verve sent into spring reverb and echo at some places.

MARIMBA
The Marimba is summed to a bus with a LA-3A.

For the bridge I somehow heard an organ. But there was none. So I did this:
I used the Marimba CondMic and sent it through a Neurontube amp sim, followed by UAD Galaxy Tape Echo and Waterfall plus some heavy filtering - voila, an organ (kind of) was born. I did this again in the last chorus to increase it a bit.

BRASS
The Trumpets run through LA-3A and Waves J37 with a slap back.

VOCALS
For the vocals I used Pro-Q3 for cleaning up the piercing high mids, Weiss De-esser, 1176LN, TubeTech CL1B, Studer 800 and Autotune plus another De-esser to catch some more sibilance.
In the chorus I copied the vocals and sent this through Soundtoys Little Alter Boy one octave below. I then setup a bus with another Little Alter Boy pitched on octave up to only send this to a reverb (NI Raum in the case), no dry signal. I did all this madness to distinguish the lead vocals more drastically from the verses to create variation.
In the bridge I mangled the vocals through a megaphone IR with FutzBox. Still not sure about that :)

FX
As send FX I have a SlapBack on the vocals with ATR-102, SDD-3000, EC300 and EP-34 for echos and delays, Eventide Spring, PSP 2445 Plate. UAD AKG BX20, Waves Abbey Road Plates and UAD Capitol.
In the chorus I added a slight pumping effect to the longer reverbs.

MIXBUS
On the mixbus lives a Gullfoss doing a little midrange polish, the UAD Capitol Mastering Compressor, SPL PQ, and ATR-102.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h3gw4ky973pz5 ... K.wav?dl=0