2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC053 April 2019 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
Mellow Browne

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC053 April 2019 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by Mellow Browne »

Thanks Morella for the feedback. Good luck @ all for round 2.
And now let´s continue with SWC :phones:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC053 April 2019 - Mix Round 2 until 27-04-2019 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

Thank you for handling the evaluation, morelia. This sure was the fastest evaluation round we've ever had - great role model behavior right there. :phones:

Let us kick off Mix Round 2, which will end on Saturday, 27-APR-2019 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

There is a GLOBAL COUNTDOWN available to check for deadlines.
Just follow this link: Global Countdown (on homepage)

The following 10 participants go into Round 2 (alphabetical order)

BentLangerak
CarlosB
GGermaine
Jerze
Kevin Gobin
Kirurg
Mork
paperthin
philk
stu b

The feedback to the productions can be found here:
viewtopic.php?p=4667#p4667

If you area unsure what to do exactly, reach out to the song provider and engage in a conversation here on the forum.

A thank you to everyone, and good luck for Round 2
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

morelia wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:22 CEST
41 MC053_morelia_WeFly_AlB
I'm starting to lose my mind. Some of these mixes are starting to sound so similar. I think the guitars are a little weak sounding. Drums sound pretty tough which I like. The bass is good but could use a little more aggression somewhere. Stands out a bit in sounding very clean. The vocal is not too clear and while I don't have a problem with it not being overly loud this one seems a bit dominated by the mix.
Thanks for your quick feedback!
Al B.

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC053 April 2019 - Submissions until 21-04-2019 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by Al B. »

philk wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:47 CEST
Hey guys!

Here are my mixes:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t7a0pbwsfmqp2 ... k.mp3?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1zj4d6qide487 ... k.wav?dl=0

I didnt do that much this month, since the sources were pretty much there. Used EQs and Comps/Limiters when needed (mostly BX SSL Channel, Pro Tools Stock EQ, FF ProQ3, L1). The drums got some DevilLoc and LoFi to make them sound more real. The intro guitars have that destroyed touch, as I really liked that for an intro. Rooms are ValhallaRoom and Altiverb. I reamped the bass to make it cut with the Darkglass plugin. The additional rhythm guitar got a Wah effect to get some movement. Nothing really special going on. :)

Thanks for doing this!

Cheers, Phil
I have a question about your mix. What were you doing in the Mixbus? Your mix sounds pre-mastered to me. Why didn't you stick to the -18 dB guideline?

https://www.mix-challenge.com/forum/vie ... p=151#p151
GGermaine

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC053 April 2019 - Mix Round 2 until 27-04-2019 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by GGermaine »

Wow! Thanks for the super fast feedback!!!!
SergioITASCO

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC053 April 2019 - Submissions until 21-04-2019 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by SergioITASCO »

Al B. wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 17:17 CEST

I have a question about your mix. What were you doing in the Mixbus? Your mix sounds pre-mastered to me. Why didn't you stick to the -18 dB guideline?

https://www.mix-challenge.com/forum/vie ... p=151#p151
Thanks for the feedback Morelia, very appreciated it!

About this quote, not referred to my mix, I can say that you don't even need any bus or master-bus compressor to produce an over-compressed audio; just over-compress every singular track.

Is duty of the listener to match the real sound pressure comparing different mixes.

Clearly, at same SPL, a less compressed track will sound much better than a more compressed one at any condition apart from a very low SPL value.

That's the oldest trick in the book and I think everybody knows that.

Thanks again for the feedback!

SergioITASCO
twranks

Post by twranks »

morelia wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:22 CEST

18 MC000_BTB_We Fly_Bobby N-Chris
Thanks for the feedbck Morelia! If we could make that happen with the vocals, I'm all down for it :wink: This is my first ever metal track so I was really just having fun with it. Glad you liked the vocals though. Best of luck to the Round 2 contestants!
morelia

Post by morelia »

s&f wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 13:01 CEST
can you share how u compared the mixes? did u level match or used iTunes "sound check"? or just went with gut analysis?
Hi the. For the first round I just had to do a gut feeling but to be honest if the mix sounded within certain boundaries the vocal was probably the main factor. There were mixes where the music sounded very far from my vision of the song though. Toward the end I had about 7 mixes that were in the top 10 for sure. There were about another 10 that were so close I had to get more critical to weed out the ones that didn't quite make it. That was tough. During that phase I had to look at where the specific problems were and how far from my preference they were.
OctopusOnFire wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 13:54 CEST
Wow... I may have drifted apart from the clients vision a lot. Pretty disappointed, but that's the game, you can't rule out personal preference. :shrug:
All I can tell you is that you were one of the last few to miss out on the top 10. I suppose you can look at that as a good thing or or really try to analyse why. As I said above it was really tough. I'd say look at the feedback and whatever I've said. Probably means I just found any issues I mentioned just a little further off than the next. It was really close.
cmbsa

Post by cmbsa »

OctopusOnFire wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 16:43 CEST
cmbsa wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 14:51 CEST
Hello, here's my mix:

wav: https://www.dropbox.com/s/72pgr8x4e7nci ... B.wav?dl=0
mp3: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j1zyq84grrb5b ... B.mp3?dl=0

Thanks for the opportunity, looking forward to hearing the other mixes!
Carlos
Hey there,

your mix is worthy of making it to Round 2, if the decision was mine to take. However, I think the rules about providing documentation have become more strict, and you need to share some kind of info, even if it is a couple screenshots and a brief explanation of the processing.

Don't waste the opportunity for saving 5 minutes of work, cheers!
Thanks Octopus,
yeah, I was conscious of it, that I should share some info on my mix. But, as stated by Mister Fox, I was going to leave it for Round2, in case I made it. So I'll post some info when I sumbit my edited mix.
cmbsa

Post by cmbsa »

Thanks morelia for your feedback!
I'm really happy to have made it to Round 2. Will post my new mix shortly