2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC057 August 2019 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
ArneB

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC057 August 2019 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by ArneB »

dima510 wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:58 CEST
i listened to every mix at least 3 times: on headphones, speakers
and - yes - my laptop.
Hi Dirk,

my deep respect and appreciation! To listen to 80 mixes at least 3 times already in the first 12 hours after the deadline is quite a bit of work (considering that a lot of them came in just in the last 48 hours). You must have been working all night long... Thank you very much for the effort you put into this challenge!

I think that must be said - it may get overlooked beside all that unnecessary discussion about tuning and drum sampling and so on... :wink:

Cheers,
Arne
dima510

Post by dima510 »

ArneB wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 21:32 CEST
dima510 wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:58 CEST
i listened to every mix at least 3 times: on headphones, speakers
and - yes - my laptop.
Hi Dirk,

my deep respect and appreciation! To listen to 80 mixes at least 3 times already in the first 12 hours after the deadline is quite a bit of work (considering that a lot of them came in just in the last 48 hours). You must have been working all night long... Thank you very much for the effort you put into this challenge!

I think that must be said - it may get overlooked beside all that unnecessary discussion about tuning and drum sampling and so on... :wink:

Cheers,
Arne
hey arne, thank you. but i did not listen to 80 mixes 3 times in the last 48 hours. i started listening on day 1.
Pussylover

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC057 August 2019 - Submissions until 21-08-2019 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by Pussylover »

Chriswilson83 wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 21:01 CEST

Listening to yours, you have actually created incorrect notes in the vocal melody with the tuning (choruses in particular).

I hope the lack of mix notes gets addressed too, I thought some of them last month were light but there's a lot of entries that haven't even bothered to provide one. I'm not sure if giving just pictures without an explaination is good enough either tbh.
Thanks I will improve it. That is why we all here isn't it? To learn? to have fun. to mix. :shrug: It is a great mix that you have done by the way.
hjchjc

Post by hjchjc »

hjchjc

Post by hjchjc »

When will we know who made it to the next round?
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Once the songwriter has posted, I updated the thread and posted on social media.

So please have an eye on the forum, or use the "subscribe to thread" function of this forum. (see monkey wrench button at the bottom of page)
bpackard

Post by bpackard »

Mister Fox wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 00:09 CEST
Once the songwriter has posted, I updated the thread and posted on social media.

So please have an eye on the forum, or use the "subscribe to thread" function of this forum. (see monkey wrench button at the bottom of page)
Which Sm platforms is this community on?
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Twitter and Facebook. Links are in the first post, and in the footer of the main homepage
dima510

Post by dima510 »

result of round 1 - here are my favorite mixes:

1.) JulienMeirone
2.) finnishcharm
3.) creedchub
4.) PeterM
5.) FrequencyPainter
6.) Me_Kirurg
7.) SuperTrooper

a general note: the more often i hear it, the more i wish i had corrected the vocal tuning in
the chorus, mainly the second part of it, in my mix. it actually IS out of tune. so i would
appreciate, if all finalists could try to address this.

individual remarks:

1.) this mix sounds almost perfect to me. the only little thing i miss is a wider chorus
with the strings more present. also there's a tiny little bit too much low end (check with analyser)

2.) also an excellent and very complete mix. i think, de-essing the vocals some more would
improve it. they sound quite harsh at times. also there's a tiny little bit too little low end (check with analyser). i don't feel the kick...

3.) i liked this mix from the beginning. i think it is one of the best regarding the band. but the vocals clearly lack warmth and have
way too much presence. sounds like an overdone exciter. if you fix that it will be a great mix.

4.) great mix. great choice of rooms. very warm tone to it. only the solo kills the atmosphere because it is soooo dry. for vinyl you
would have to move some low end from the sides to the mid. could be a bit more <100 hz, anyway. (or a bit less 300hz)
NOTE: you will have to provide 48/24 to be able to win. i think as a mixer you should deliver the format requested by the client.

5.) well balanced mix. vocals: a bit less >10k, instead more warmth would be good. also the organ seems to be very dominant
to my ears. NOTE: you will have to provide 48/24 to be able to win.

6.) good balance. very good drums. there's something with the tone of the vocals that disturbes me without being able to tell what it is.
some resonance in the mids? i think they don't sit properly in the mix somehow. maybe the vox-room is too mono?
maybe some automation needed? also, i have the feeling, that the transition of the vocals from verse to chorus is a bit weak.

7.) this one is from another world and maybe does not match my expectations regarding the style.
BUT: there is a lot of creativity in this mix and it sounds pretty good! there's definitely something to it, so i kept it for round 2 -
let's say as a "wildcard" ;-)
however, there is a lot of energy in the midrange 200hz-800hz that is missing in the lows. also the bass should be more exciting
and audible - maybe some distortion?

special mention for the best filename: "don't leave me - clueless"

:-))))

HAVE A NICE MIXING WEEKEND!

dirk.
Chriswilson83

Post by Chriswilson83 »

Hi Dirk,

Disappointed I didn't get to round 2 but I wish you hadn't of allowed people though who haven't followed the rules, you have some who didn't provide the correct file rates and some who didn't provide mixing notes.

I think both of those things should have been automatic fails really as thet were clearly stated in the rules.