2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC062 February 2020 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
GaryRegnier

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC062 February 2020 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by GaryRegnier »

Hi guys, I wasn't suggesting cutting out as a perfect solution but also see no reason why when the remit states that the piece needs cleaning up that the mixer gets to be selective about what they use and where. My take on this competition is that it simulates a real life situation where you are hired to do a mix that the client will approve and if they hired you then you should assume they like your work and style and so you should remain true to your instincts and have belief in your artistic choices.
On another note I have been busy here and down to 12 mixes to choose from. Getting hard now friends !
Back later
Gary
Clueless

Post by Clueless »

GaryRegnier wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:37 CET
Hi guys, I wasn't suggesting cutting out as a perfect solution but also see no reason why when the remit states that the piece needs cleaning up that the mixer gets to be selective about what they use and where. My take on this competition is that it simulates a real life situation where you are hired to do a mix that the client will approve and if they hired you then you should assume they like your work and style and so you should remain true to your instincts and have belief in your artistic choices.
On another note I have been busy here and down to 12 mixes to choose from. Getting hard now friends !
Back later
Gary
I seem to misunderstand this challenge, if I was supplying a mix to someone along with a rough draft as the package contained, I wouldn't expect something that didn't sound like the rough draft, just a cleaner, better balanced version, as an artist/musician has spent many hours creating. Unless this is a remix competition I've entered?
Sorry if this sounds a bit odd, I'm just trying to figure out what is what in order to improve :)
White Punk OD

Post by White Punk OD »

To me it just seems we need to develop a bunch of "plan B" concepts, as there is one crucial difference to a real business situation:
One song provider / artist has to deal with 30-100 contestants, and it is not possible to develop a deeper relationship to understand the personality and the goals of the artist.
Now in the musical "cookie cutter" industry, naturally there is a switchboard of styles and skills, and the producers and A&R's qickly assign an engineer to a song, based on purpose and already existing relationships.
We used to sit together for a couple of days, and drink some beer, listen to some more music we like, before starting album work. :phones:
Here at MC, the benefit is, everyone just makes a guess, and the results can be very entertaining and perhaps also useful...
To me as a participant, it would be utterly boring, when everyone just mimicks the demo as great as possible.. :zzz:
Clueless

Post by Clueless »

White Punk OD wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 14:20 CET
To me it just seems we need to develop a bunch of "plan B" concepts, as there is one crucial difference to a real business situation:
One song provider / artist has to deal with 30-100 contestants, and it is not possible to develop a deeper relationship to understand the personality and the goals of the artist.
Now in the musical "cookie cutter" industry, naturally there is a switchboard of styles and skills, and the producers and A&R's qickly assign an engineer to a song, based on purpose and already existing relationships.
We used to sit together for a couple of days, and drink some beer, listen to some more music we like, before starting album work. :phones:
Here at MC, the benefit is, everyone just makes a guess, and the results can be very entertaining and perhaps also useful...
To me as a participant, it would be utterly boring, when everyone just mimicks the demo as great as possible.. :zzz:
That's an interesting take, so its best to be as bombastic as possible without breaking the rules :)
You:zzz: you dont have fun :D
Waleed Morris

Post by Waleed Morris »

White Punk OD wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 14:20 CET
Hello White Punk OD, everyone,
In my view, I have a couple of things maybe could help !!
1-Reference (Related) track is a Must !! sometimes I meet clients his track is a pop and he wants an EDM Mix !! imagine that. I'm not talking here about creativity .. I'm talking about a normal or logical situation. closer the reference you definitely get the better result.
and this point guides me to point number 2.
2-very short youtube video maybe 2-3m should be enough is a Must! Quick brief whats your thoughts about your very lovely pop song and how we can turn it to an EDM mix track (it's just an example) :smile: the more clear ideas in your video the more everyone understands! and of course better mix results .instead of guessing and mimics. as far as I can tall very simple 2 points but for the participants it means everything.
SEEL Mixing Farm

Post by SEEL Mixing Farm »

Hello guys, i upload my mix 2 times on Dropbox cause It was clipping a Little bit, offcourse my post has 2 edits.. i Just read the rules late so i'm out 100%.. Good Luck to everyone i Heard so many good mixes.
SEEL Mixing Farm
White Punk OD

Post by White Punk OD »

SEEL, it's a pity, I think your mix is very good!! Plz be back soon.
(Part 2 with the bells is a bit loud but basically nice. Finale as epic as should be. Mid-range is strong, you made that zig-zag in general spectrum between 350Hz and 1k, so that would be interesting to discuss if it's the right thing to push through with the sound, or if it might sound hollow on some devices.)
SEEL Mixing Farm

Post by SEEL Mixing Farm »

Thanks man, next time i'll read the rules Better for sure! Thanks anyway for your point of view about my mix :)
White Punk OD

Post by White Punk OD »

Thanks back, listening to your's, I become aware that I must boost around 3.5k, triangular corner points 1.5k and 6.5k.
The ME would probably do that, if lucky I would do it in the next round, and tame the extra snare a little bit also..
GaryRegnier

Post by GaryRegnier »

Okay folks, the 10 going to the next round are listed below along with my comments and thoughts for changes. I will post others feedback soon once I have it complied.
Gary

Jerze
Starts well, I like the ominous feel with the fx. 1st section nice and clean and well paced. 2nd section balance nice and loving the sense of space still. Vocal section good, although perhaps better thinned slightly and level dropped a touch. Final section all good but suffers from not hitting harder and increasing in level due to previous section, maybe an easy fix

ShroomFeverish
Nice vocal treatment on intro. Good driving feel in section one, bass a little too loud though,at times in higher range. Vocal section wonderfully light, great ! Final section hits really well and maybe war drums a little much, in lower mids perhaps. Otherwise excellent

Mork
Good intro, would have liked fx to tail off a bit longer and smoother. 1st section good, has nice bounce and clean. Good handling of low synths although maybe a touch too loud. Vocal section good but perhaps thin out a bit and reduce level overall for final hit. Good final section hit and drums, getting a touch muddy now but can be fixed. Very nice indeed

Wizzo
Good atmosphere on start section. I like the focus on triplets bass on 1st melody section, good thinking there. 2nd section low synths handled well. Really liking the drum parts, driving along well. Vocal section well balanced but could be thinned out a little to allow for bigger ending. Very good end, opening hit drum maybe a touch loud but it's an obvious finale. Really good work

Shoma
Good start and I really like the way you have brought the rhythm to life and tightened it all up. 2nd section the low synths could lose some low end, only a little, taste rather than a technical point. Maybe lose some mids on solo vocal section? Nice dynamic ending too, like the handling of strings at end as well, very good work

Green Dog
Nice fade in start and very dark and moody feel. First & second sections really good, like the panning, space and feel. Vocal section maybe better with less low mids in the padding but builds into final section really well still. Lovely anthemic feel to final section, very good work indeed.

GB Real
Good work on clean up and creative work on rhythm track at start. Nice imaging of melody line too. Good handling of low synths. solo vocal section also good but would benefit from thinning out a little perhaps? Good strong final section, I like the idea of the field drum prominence, adds that film track element.

Pavel Nebesky
Good intro but reverse cymbal could do with high passing. 1st section very good, nice use of panning. 2nd section gently building really well. Vocal section backs off OK but would like to hear it thinned out a bit, filter off some lows/low mids. Good hit at final section and nice sparkly balance, impressive. I liked this instantly, controlled and has plenty of flow but also drives well rhythmically.

Photonic
Good clean mix start. First and second sections nice and bouncy and well balanced. Vocal section backs off enough to add some interest and variation, cool. first drum hit on final section sticks out a bit. Noted that there is a lot of sub bass on this one. Great work with delay on main vocal. Like the way you cleaned up the last section, good job!

Matik
Good intro section. First section nice and clean with good bounce. Very good build on 2nd section. Vocal section well done and backed off great for last hit. Final section first drum hit a little loud, Good drums. Would like to hear final section a bit brighter, maybe in strings/pads? Very good, nice clean up and good space, only niggle is could do with subs taming at extreme low end.