2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC070 October 2020 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
TrinacriAudio

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC070 October 2020 - Submissions until 21-10-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by TrinacriAudio »

Yeah, I did exactly that way, as I always do. This is the first time I have this problem. The tracks have a tempo around 118 bpm but even at this speed they are off grid. I'm trying to download again the zip file, maybe there was a problem with the download
TrinacriAudio

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC070 October 2020 - Submissions until 21-10-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by TrinacriAudio »

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!. I forgot to set the format to 48khz
Los_ady

Post by Los_ady »

Thanks for letting us know @TrinacriAudio :) Enjoy the mixing Process
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Just a side note (once more) from a Steinberg Cubase/Nuendo user

For workflow purposes:
  • start with a new empty project
  • check in with the provided "General Information" TXT file
  • set up the sampling rate and the bitrate properly before you import the multi-tracks
  • if you know the correct bpm, set it beforehand, else - listen to the provided demo track and reference check with any BPM analysis/counter tool you know/trust
  • quickest way to import the multi-tracks is through drag and drop from your file browser (at least for me!)
  • go into the Media Pool and check if the "Musical Mode" checkmark (X right beside the bpm value) has been turned off -- this is a special case scenario that is only really needed in rare Mix Challenges, or (in the real world) if a client explicitly asks for custom tempo changes. In this case, you would have a separate sheet or tempo file with the multi-tracks
  • do be on the save side, check in with the demo mix (stereo file) if all tracks line up properly -- this is why it's part of the Mix Pack
Only then start with your project setups (gain staging, panning, basic sound editing)...

Good luck to all entrants
alavault

Post by alavault »

Hello there !

The mix : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sdzIlm ... sp=sharing

A few words on the mix...

Grouping : To reduce the numbers of tracks, bussing in used. Heavily. Like, a lot.

Drums :
  • Kick : gate, eq, comp, saturation. Nothing fancy.
  • Snare : Used a copy of the top for parallel processing (heavy gateing, comp and saturation). Eq, comp on the sum of everybody + sent to a reverb.
  • Toms : editing the hits and substantial saturation. Sent into a chamber.
  • Cymbals : Panned slightly in. Limiting (on OH), eq, saturation. Sent into a chamber.
  • Room : MS was fun. Eq, saturation. Sent into a chamber.
  • Parallel compression : Kick, snare, toms and room.
Bass :
  • DI : added some 5k. Used a copy into an amp sim to get a "bite" fader.
  • FX tracks : nothing on them. Balanced.
  • Parallel processing : sent into the same parallel as the drums. Flanger in insert and sent to a chorus.
Clean GTR :
  • Grouping the tracks into buses.
  • Spreading the different tracks 60% L/R.
  • Custom plugin for saturation on the feeder busses.
  • EQ, comp, chorus on the fed bus.
  • Delays and small room as sends.
Heavy GTR :
  • Spread far L/R. Same thing as the clean GTR : one amp on one side, the other on the other side.
  • DIs are heavily distorted in order to add some agression and bite.
  • EQ
  • Short room and stereo delay.
All guitars are sent to a parallel eq (top++, low mid ++).

Background vocals :
  • Main in the middle, the other two +60L/R
  • Vocal levelling and EQ
  • Sent into a chorus and a chamber.
Lead vocal :
  • Slight stereo widening
  • Vocal levelling and EQ
  • Sent into tempo-synced delays and a plate with pre-delay
Vocals are sent to a parallel compressor.

Automation : general riding of the buses. Parallel processors are also ridden to somewhat match the dynamics of the song.
tusca

Post by tusca »

Hi everyone!

Thanks for this forum, challenges and all the info shared here!

I think I'm a bit newbie at mixing. Practice and learning are a must for me. So, here I'm just doing the homework.

For this mix challenge, I have to say I started to love the indie style, the reference tracks are so good! Really in love with Warpaint and Holy Motors stuff.

The track Waterfall is really digging me! Thanks @Los_ady and Cheap Flights!

Cheers!
Last edited by tusca on Wed Oct 07, 2020 21:02 CEST, edited 3 times in total.
Dodgingrain

Post by Dodgingrain »

tusca wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 03:06 CEST
For this mix challenge, I have to say I started to love the indie style, the reference tracks are so good! Really in love with Warpaint and Holy Motors stuff.
Agreed, never heard of warpaint before but kinda digging their stuff.
Mixing, Mastering, Remixing Services
Two Cat Audio Labs, llc
https://www.twocataudiolabs.com
https://www.instagram.com/twocataudiolabs/
Los_ady

Post by Los_ady »

Hey @tusca thank you for this kind comment, really happy that you can learn with this challenge and discover even new Bands!

That's the whole purpose of this event :)
eladnaimi

Post by eladnaimi »

Hello

Here is my mix
I hope you'll enjoy it

I tried to mix using only Bus Channels as much as I could, although some tracks did get processed a bit.
I also tried to keep the vibe from the reference track as well as taking into consideration the reference tracks for the bass and the drums.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rgagx2rbd2r5b ... i.zip?dl=0
romaingarnier

Post by romaingarnier »

Hi!
This is my first mix challenge.

Recording sounded great which made it fun to mix.

Here is my submission, hope you like it: https://drive.google.com/file/d/15f-nve ... sp=sharing

Cheers!
Last edited by romaingarnier on Thu Oct 08, 2020 02:06 CEST, edited 2 times in total.