2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC075 April 2021 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
Square

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC075 April 2021 - Submissions until 21-04-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Square »

Hi everyone, and thanks again for this song, been a joy to work on.

I start most of my mixes the same. I drop everything 10dB with a gain plug and set up my 2buss with a desk emulation:

KramerTape
SSLComp
REDD37-51
WLM PLus Analyzer

All are on quite subtle settings, and for the REDD i just run it through it without changing anything, it just does something subtle to the stereo width, that again helps with the glue.
just a couple of dB gain reduction on the SSL.

After this, i didnt touch my 2buss, but setting up and mixing into this just feels better for me, things just glue themselves as I go.

BASS - RBass, LA-76, Bass Rider

I did my best to keep the bass prominent, but not overpowering, as so much emphasis is on the VOX that i really felt i needed to leave enough space for everything to shine. So i did quite a bit of automation to make sure that it was there whenever it was possible. LA76 helps keep it smooth, while the Bass Rider allowed me to keep compression lower while maintaining dynamic.

Piano API2500, BlueCat Chorus, Reverence

The 2500 handles transients in a nice and punchy way, so i like to use it on things that i want to punch through, the piano, especially at the beginning as its alone with the vox, needed just that. (although, i see that we are changing that back to the other piano, in which case, i would need to alter that to the new parts potentially in round 2) It also helps the piano to be there in the more busy parts of the mix and later when its mostly alone with the VOX. The chorus just made it a bit more melted into the mix so it didnt feel thin. I used an english chapel convololution reverb that seemed to fit the sound and keep it in the right stereo place. I also did a bit of stereo eq to bring the lows slightly to the left and the highs slightly to the right.

VOX LA2A, Aura Exciter, Reverence

I kept them up close and centre throughout. I left in as much of the lower frequencies as possible without cluttering as well, i think doing slightly less cuts to the bottom than normal (esp around the 190 mark) this helps add a bit of power to them. Exciter for the top end. And a good convolution reverb to put it in the right space. I aslo used a tad of delay. For the harmonies, i treated most of them individually in order to really add a sense of frequency progression to them, starting with the lows and working my way forward to 'desiac' part ending brighter and wider, i think this helps push that part forward and gives a nice dimension to it.

SYNTHS - Various

Certain parts cried out to have a bit of Floydian style synth here. So at certain times, i really have the synths coming to the front. I think this adds a nice bit of dynamic to it. (Shine on you crazy diamond comes to mind.)

Guitars - Cubase EQ, Cubase Comp, Bluecat Chorus

I kept these very dry and mostly just low cut them. I usually like to keep at least a couple near completely dry elements in my mixes, seems humanising to me. These were perfect. A tad bit of chorus on the electric guitar, with the acoustics just panned wide and a bit prominent as they seemed to add a nice punch to the 'flutter' part.

Drums - API 2500, Cubase Envelope Shaper, Various Verbs

I focused on getting the right pop for the snare, working with shapers and de essers. The bass drum is not overpowering, but a nice 70s type thud. Cymbals are there and spread wide. For the more queen style stomps, i have them coming through with a lot of punch. The snare part of that tho was one of the more difficult parts for me. I think the thing that really brought it closest to the sound i was looking for was a bit of an aggressive kramer tape setting and finding the right balance in my envelope shaper along with an EQ that looks like a mountain range....

I referenced a lot of Pink Floyd and Queen for this.

Anyways thats all thats coming to mind at the moment. Of course, any curiosities, just ask.

Peace and Love

Square ¬

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18xhcY- ... sp=sharing
Square

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC075 April 2021 - Submissions until 21-04-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Square »

loger wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 18:07 CEST
Hmmm i don't see the problem, i try with an other device with a different google account and without account it work for me.
anyone else have this problem with my link?
hey sorry, must have been my mistake (maybe my browser?) Ill have a detailed listen soon
grigoal

Post by grigoal »

Hi,

Here is my mix :

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KqjYqr ... sp=sharing

I used Reaper 6.27 and two plugins :

- Loaded by Analog Obsession (It’s a channel strip with multiple modules)
- Valhalla Supermassive

As a starting point I created different groups to manage track levels easily in the first rough mix, and then panned and levelled each track, but applied the effects directly to the groups created earlier :

Drums (tracks 1x to 04) : Compressor from Loaded
Stomp (tracks 05 to 13) : No effects
Bass (tracks 14 and 15) : Preamp, EQ and Compressor from Loaded.
Keys (tracks 34,35,36,389,40,31,32,33,30,29,26,16,17,22,25) : Supermassive - very small delay, mix at 50%, no high or low cut
Guitars (tracks 20,26,26b and 27) : Preamp from Loaded, gain at 1 o’clock
Back Vocals (all other tracks except 62 and 63) : Supermassive - delay at 100ms, mix at 30%, high cut at 4khz and low cut at 580hz
Lead vocals (tracks 62 and 63) : EQ and Compressod from Loaded, Supermassive - Delay at 80ms, mix at 10%, no mod, high cut at 10khz
On the lead vocals I added a volume automation to slightly reduce the volume (about 2.5db) in the first verse, I felt the voice was too present with just the piano and bass otherwise.

Thanks!
bluesation

Post by bluesation »

loger wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 17:46 CEST
Hi, your keys sound unsynchronized and your background vocal sound like you put a ton of phaser or flanger on them. I don't know if this is your goal, but for me that's weird.
You are wrong, nothing of them.
Green-Dog

Post by Green-Dog »

Hi everyone,

A very cool song this month. I think it would be a masterpiece if all the midi instruments were replaced with real ones. Or spend a little more time programming them. In any case, the music is amazing!

Mix was done in the box in Reaper. To make the sound of the beks more solid, as well as save time and computer resources, I grouped them and processed them as one voice after adjusting them for volume and panorama. On the group, the most common processing was done: a couple of compressors and a couple of equalizers. For reverb, I used a convolutional reverb and a church impulse to make the choir more massive. Individual backs tracks were sent to the reverb in different proportions. To create depth, I left some of the backing vocals tracks dry. And the final thing: to add even more density to them, I sent the entire group to the chorus.

If you have any questions, please ask!

Mix

Good luck to everyone!
Square

Post by Square »

bluesation wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 16:56 CEST
As in many previous challenges too much tracks. I deal with only max. 50 recorded tracks in a mixing session. So I combined the back vox and the stomp tracks. In their own session basic treatments were done, like a HPF, panning, soft Equing, where needed, and a compressor at the master track.

This song reminded me to some popular Queen songs. I like Queen a lot. A more modern late 70ies, early 80ies Queen sound was my goal. This means it is not much work needed. All in all I did some basic Eqing, like cut lows to remove rumple, eliminate some unwanted frequencies from some instruments.

The drums went in 2 reverbs, one Chamber, all parts except the snare. The snare went through a plate reverb. The kick has no reverb, except from room and OH recording tracks. The snare got some more bottom end and a snare buzz via pinknoise and gate. The Reaper gate is one oft the best gates I know, and I tried a lot. This has the pinknoise generator inside, you just need to pull up the level to taste.

All instrument tracks where carefully panned and went through a room reverb. Some like the pianos got some short 8th delay with a short feedback. All delays went through a separate reverb for the delays, for not being that upfront.

The voice has its own reverb, a combination of plate and room. I used both the normal and saturated vox recording tracks. The saturated track is about 6 db less than the normal track.

Here is my result: WAV File
Hi there

had a listen through the track.

I think somehow your piano and your vox are playing back at different speeds at the beginning and cuts in and out, the timing and chords just arent what the song is and doesnt make much musical sense.

at 31 secs it seems to fix itself tho.

The vox are quite bright and forward which is nice, and there are some interesting ear candy parts and effects on the megalomaniac part which were cool.

Theres an almost digital rain stick type sound at 1 min on the edges that i dont really understand.

and some odd digital degridation around 1:22

The drums get quite drowned out by everything when they come in, maybe a bit more gain needed and i cant hear the stomps in the latter part at all.

Theres some nice parts, and the vocal clarity is nice, but overall, it just doesnt quite come together for me, maybe try putting things a bit to the outside more? The middle is really crowded.

after about 3:40 is where things sound sonically best to me.

Anyways, all just my opinion.

hope it helps

cheers and good luck
Square

Post by Square »

loger wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 13:24 CEST
Hi everyone
This is my mix
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Htkq1V ... sp=sharing

I mainly use saturation and parallel processing.

The parallel work was the reverb, I used 5 reverb

compression for the guitars and vocals.

And finally parallel distortion for the drums.

Saturation for vocals and guitars and a bit of eq

ssl bus compressor on the master. I think that's all. If you have any critics don't hesitate, i'm young and i have a lot to learn.

Have a nice day.
Hi there,

Interesting effect on the bass at the edges at the beginning (slapback?)

Vox are nice and clear cutting through the whole song, sounds like a nice bit of saturation.

The drums lower end comes through, but the snare lacks a bit of pop and the highs of the drums sound a bit far back in the mix, but not by a lot at all.

The Megalomaniac part comes through great tho just after! Full and powerful.

The 'I listen to my own voice' part could use a bit more piano there, as it sounds just a bit too warm and doesnt really come through.

The drums following are the same as before.

Overall, i really like this mix though, seems to fit the song really well.

Hope that helps,

Cheers and good luck
heli667

Post by heli667 »

I mixed in protools 12 , Heat deactivated.
Mixbus : Not limiter , headroom for mastering about 5db ,VMR (SlateDigital) with VCC mixbus and FG-A with+ .7 db at 6.5 k for overall transparency and +.5 db at 1.5 k .AirEq earth +.84db to add weight.
FG-Grey in parallel at 37% , slow attack and autorelease,ratio 2.5 , the compressor is doing about 2 to 3 db.
Main Vocals : Melodyne for tuning some notes here and there , also for deessing , then VMR with VCC, CSE with -3.5 sb at 400hz , - 1 db at 200 hz, FGs shelf +1 db at 11k ,.1.2 db at 2.5k , locut at 90,
FG Stress 4 :1 ,then FG401 2:1 both in parallel mode for compression .
The vocal is going to Waves H-Verb , a ChorX, a Repeater Delay and CLA Fx the send and most of the returns are extensively automated to keep the sound exciting .Volume of the main vocal is also ridden.
The Saturn parallel Track was uses at abot -20 db ad ridden as well , has a Nectar 3 on it with modulation Munson by Melda

The Piano Track at the beginning has soothe 2 on it , Neutron 3 with Hi and Low cut then TrueVerb with a room program, the Sustain Stem has Neutron 3 on it also hi and low cut, and harmonic distortion.
The Piano Trk is ridden as well.
Trk 16 Piano has VMR ( FG116 4:1 a 5 r7, London, VCC with Brit4ke) , as a send Valhalla Room
Drums:
Kick : Rbass to add missing frequencies at about 60 Hz , Vmr for compression (FG116) , Fgs with -4 db at300hz to remove resonance and for attack + 2db at 4.7 k.
Room Trk : this was the most prominent drum track , heavily compressed with FG 116 , -6db at 400hz , LoCut at about 200 Hz. I flipped the Phase on Trimmer.
Snare Trk : VMR ( Gate ,locut at 250 ,+2db at about 430 hz, heavy parallel compression with fg 116 at 4:1 , fast release medium attack , 60 % parallel.Revival with shimmer 12 and thickness 8, flipped phase – CRS classic reverse hall , with mix-knob ridden. Valhalla Room as a send.

Hat and Toms Trk no FX on them
Abbey Perc :Pan Man , VMR ( VCC on , Gg 116 light compression , LoCut at 500 )
CrashTrk : Soothe2 ,VMR (-3 db at 1.5 k, VCC, Locut at 200Hz)
808 Trk Neutron 3 with Locut at 100h z , 6db slope , Phase Inversion , ValhallaRoom send
08 CH Snr1 : VMR with FGs -.5 db at 5 k, FG-116 4:1 attack 5, release 7 , send to Valhalla Room
Stomp processed : just send to H-reverb and ValhallaRoom
ABBy Ch Kick : RBass 40Hz at -8.5
Claps 02 : nothing
Claps 03 : Meutron3 : +3 db at 2.5k, high shelf +1db at 6k
Finger Trk : nothing
14 Bass Stem :Surfer eq -1db at fundamental, -7 at first harmonic ,Amplitube 5 :Svx Pro Model for tone
20 git Stem Neutron +4 db at 1k , LoCut at 100hz, soothe 2, VMR (FG 2a , Classic Tube, Revival with thickness at 12) , send to H-reverb
Juno trk VMR( Fg401 with 2:1, slow attack , fast release, Revival with shimmer at 5 , Phase Flip )
26b ACC trk TRSMicRoom to change the tone , VMR (FG2A) , pan man
27 Acc Low VMr (FG 116) , send to H-reverb
Guitar go tom ab Bus : VMR with shimmer , Iq-eQ Low cut on the sides at about 100hz
29 Juno Bass Cyrtalizer and VMR with FG 116 , send to ValhallaRoom
30 Bass 11: Surfer eq : -2 db at fundamental , + 7 db at 600 hz , Bass 10.1 : VMr with Fg -s ( Locut at 100 hz) , Revival with shimmer at 8
17 El Piano VMR ( FG 76, , FGs with -1 db at 500hz , loCut at 20Hz
Sweep synth 11: VMR (FGs +3 db at 800hz) , send to h-Reverb

BGVs :
The are all treated separately , Have all VMR an it with FG s and FG 116 , they all go to ValhallaRoom and H-Reverb, most of the Volumes are ridden , Trk 42 Falsetto has Microshift on it, some of the BGVs are tuned with autotune , but have different settings.

Wav File

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1taVfkL ... sp=sharing
unclesnuggles

Post by unclesnuggles »

Hello everyone.
Here is my mixing proposal for the track "Megalomaniac" from EndicottDread.
The song is good, the sound recordings are good! , I had a lot of fun on it! Well done EndicottDread!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yNGxZx ... sp=sharing

Mixing done with Cubasepro10.5, FocalCms40 monitoring.
I started the mix by adjusting the gain of all my individual tracks, at this point the mix is ​​already sounding good!
Then I organize my group tracks (drums, gtrs, voxlead ...) then I start a corrective equalization on my group tracks including low cut, I use EQFrequency from Cubase.
Again I adjust the gain on my group tracks.
Once my pans are adjusted to my liking, I start to use compression on my group tracks and all the creative mixing, reverb, delay tools ...
I finish everything in a mixbuss, for this song I used the Brainworx bx digital, followed by a Pultec equalizer from Uad and a La2a type compression. A second Mixbuss with an Ampx atr102 from Uad.

I also used the Ampex on my snare drum, with the tape delay followed by a reverb.
I used two reverbs on this mix, Reverence and the Tsar from Softube, which I like a lot, and the multitap delay.

In the end I had a great time with music mixing this song.
Good listening!
Last edited by unclesnuggles on Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:13 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
Dwic

Post by Dwic »

Here's my submission:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1S9G2h3 ... sp=sharing

This was a real pleasure to mix, especially with permission to try to add some creative elements.

After listening to the demo mix and the tracks I got a real "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness" vibe from it - that is what I was going for, and what I used for reference.

Drums as per usual.

Once I got the replace tracks in I started to work on enhancing the 'episodic' nature of the song - the replace piano got some vibrato treatment from Excalibur and the voice starts with some filtering from Volcano and a bit of Supermassive.

I made my own parallel lead vox track just cause I wanted to - used Saturn and everything - ended up pretty close to 63 but it's about the journey ;)

Scheps Omni Channel on the lead vox and bgs, some comp and panning auto on the LV FX.

But most of the song was complete after balancing - the choruses came together without much fuss.

A real treat to work on. Thanks again.