2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC079 August 2021 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC079 August 2021 - Submissions until 21-08-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

diegonerysts wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 03:37 CEST
I feel the need to tune the vocals. Will I be penalized?
This is covered in the FAQs of the Rules and Guidelines, and this has also been brought up with post #6 of this thread.
s&f

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC079 August 2021 - Submissions until 21-08-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by s&f »

loger wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 02:59 CEST
Like i said no body talk in this forum, only post until the 2nd round.
So i'll try to make the first step:
how do you find this mix? the song is cool but i don't remember if i struggle, there are a few tracks it was easy i think.
Do you mix it once or make several versions before you're happy? Me i think i make 2 or3 version before
how long did you spend on this mix? A couple of hours
I hope to restore life in the forum!! :hyper: (lol i'm new) :lol:
Or may be it's the "RULE" that prevents us to discuss with each other lol, English is not my native language, lazy to read the rules once again lol

And once again don't take it personnaly i'm a cool guy who passionate about music production nothing more.
Just want to talk music with people.
Good luck!!!
this was a relatively easy mix, but I think I took about 10 hours. 2-3 hours editing. just did one version. the July challenge, I mixed 3 times, and a lot more hours. I still mix a lot based on trial and error, that's why it takes so long. hopefully soon I can mix with more objective. I try a lot of setting before finally settling.

another huge time consuming part is the cpu load. I use a MacBook 2013, so it's really a pain hehe

when I feel stuck and it just keeps getting worse, I try to mix again from the start.

btw, I'm from Brazil :]
loger

Post by loger »

s&f wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 18:18 CEST
loger wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 02:59 CEST
Like i said no body talk in this forum, only post until the 2nd round.
So i'll try to make the first step:
how do you find this mix? the song is cool but i don't remember if i struggle, there are a few tracks it was easy i think.
Do you mix it once or make several versions before you're happy? Me i think i make 2 or3 version before
how long did you spend on this mix? A couple of hours
I hope to restore life in the forum!! :hyper: (lol i'm new) :lol:
Or may be it's the "RULE" that prevents us to discuss with each other lol, English is not my native language, lazy to read the rules once again lol

And once again don't take it personnaly i'm a cool guy who passionate about music production nothing more.
Just want to talk music with people.
Good luck!!!
this was a relatively easy mix, but I think I took about 10 hours. 2-3 hours editing. just did one version. the July challenge, I mixed 3 times, and a lot more hours. I still mix a lot based on trial and error, that's why it takes so long. hopefully soon I can mix with more objective. I try a lot of setting before finally settling.

another huge time consuming part is the cpu load. I use a MacBook 2013, so it's really a pain hehe

when I feel stuck and it just keeps getting worse, I try to mix again from the start.

btw, I'm from Brazil :]
Cool, since when do you start mixing?
I start mixing in december, january i don't really remember lol.
When i start i spend HOURS, DAYS and MONTHS to understand the basic stuff like eq, comp, reverb, i almost cry every time lol. The amount of nights without sleep to get my first mixes right was huge!!! I was obsessed!!
I do some ear training to recognize the frequencies, before a spend minimum a day to mix a song.
Today I'm pretty comfortable with mixing i'm still don't sound professional but i keep going, I spend less time when i mix but i'm never satisfied lol, so i mix several times.
The more you mix the more you understand stuff and you will be able to know what do or not do, spend less time and don't tired your ear
And for the cpu try to up the buffer size of your sound card
Hope i help you!!
dnlptn

Post by dnlptn »

Hi all,

Thank you @javiramallo for a beautiful song and @Mister Fox for organising the challenge. Here is my entry, hope you enjoy it.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1txke2Y ... sp=sharing

Lead Vocals
- Neve 1073 eq, multiband, gentle LA-2A, 1176 (for some colour), Decapitator, MV2
- 7th heaven reverb
- some volume and reverb automation

Support vocals
- similar to LV with some highs cut and more reverb

BGV
- UAD ocean ways re-mic, fairchild 670 comp and some little radiator

Drums
- parallel saturation/compression on the drum elements
- bus compression, ducking slightly when the kick hits
- RBass for the kick
-relab 480 essentials reverb / UAD 140 verb

Bass
- duplicated and added UAD SVTC bass amp classic
- RBass, compression, MV2

Guitars
- I have the chorus guitars panned wider
- small amount of decapitator
- UAD Neve 1073 EQ on the bus
- parallel compression/saturation
- SC compression to the vocals to create some counter-play
- automation between the vocal parts on the volume/reverb
- LX480essentials verb
- waves echosphere on one of the guitars for ambience during the chorus

Synths
- auto-panner on one of them for some movement
- Blackbox HG2 for sparkle
- slight amount of Crystallizer
- Nimbus Reverb

Bus
UAD Pultec EQ

Cheers,
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
Including today, 7 days left to submit your mix.
theejira

Post by theejira »

Hello
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1h23O2h ... sp=sharing

Audio Interface : Audient ID4 mk2
Headphones : Beyerdynamics DT770 Pro 250ohm
DAW : Studio One 5 Professional

Lead Vocals
- Waves Scheps 73 EQ (Low cut 160hz and boost mid 3.2kHz and Hi 12kHz)
- Compress with Waves CLA-2A
- RDesser
- Reverb FX with Room Reverb (stock plugin in Studio One 5)
- Doubler with Chorus Arturia JUNO-6

BGV (All send to Bus BGV+)
- Low cut196Hz and Hi cut13kHz)
- Compress with CLA-2A
- Add some Delay with Analog delay

Bass (stock plugins)
- Pro EQ (low cut 60Hz , boost at110Hz and balance mid at1.5kHz )
- Compressor -2dB

Guitars
- Pro EQ (Low cut 80Hz , boost 202Hz and 1.4kHz)
- Compressor with Waves CLA-3A (-3dB)

Synths
- Pan L53

Percussion
- Pan L30
- Low cut at 70Hz and Hi cut 16kHz

Clap
-Pan R50

Thanks
Last edited by theejira on Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:44 CEST, edited 2 times in total.
LowlandsWave

Post by LowlandsWave »

Hello,

Thank you Javier for providing us all with this song, and thanks to the mix challenge team for organising the challenge. The link below is my entry:
Link to Submission

DAW:
Logic Pro x

Audio Repair:

Izoptope
- RX8 standard

Plugins:

Stock Logic Pro x
- ChromaVerb
- Tape delay
- Pitch correction

Izotope
- Neutron 3
- Vocal Doubler
- Insight 2

Waves
- Scheps Omni channel

Celemony
- Melodyne essential

Started with removing some hum from the guitar tracks and attenuating the picking sound of the accoustic guitars. I used RX 8 for that purpose, outside the DAW.
- DeClick
- DeHum
Could also be done with the plugins but working in RX stand alone is easier and less demanding on the system.

Guitars:
Most Guitars send to guitar bus without processing. Solo guitar processed with Neutron (eq, compression, Exiter) then send to guitar bus
Guitarbus with Scheps Omnichannel for som overal eq, mainly high end boost.

Drums:
Split percussion track to separate kick and snare. All track individually have neutron for eq, spectral shaping, compression.
Drums are send to a drum Bus with Sheps Omni channel and CromaVerb for some saturation and compression and reverb.

Vocals:
All vocal have some pitch correction (85%) from Melodyne.
Lead vocal got some Vocal Doubler
Vocal bus with som e all round ChromaVerb

FX:
Neutron for eq, high end cut. Chromaverb
Waterdrop with som e tape delay
hjchjc

Post by hjchjc »

I stayed loyal to the original mix but made it a bit more atmospheric and dreamy- it's a love song, so I wanted it to sound like falling in love :love:

There's a bit of ear-catching Tchad Blake energy with the percussion and I ended up using delays more than I thought I would, but this is one of those seemingly simple mixes with a bunch of stuff going on behind the scenes, which I'm going to detail for you right now :)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UKgJdg ... sp=sharing

Verse guitars: Bx_hybrid, 4db boost 300hz, Transperc
Chorus Guitars: Bx_hybrid, 4db boost 300hz
Rhythm: Valhalla VintageVerb, Black Guru
Arreglos: EQ
Ambeo Orbit for imaging

Support:
Waves ADT
API-560 boost at 8khz
H-Delay 1/8
Channel EQ 3khz boost

Guitar summing: Black, EQ with dip at 1k, and Trackspacer

Synth: VintageVerb, EQ cuts at 2k and 3.5k with low cut at 215 hz

Bass:
Black Guru,Vertigo VSC-2, Maag EQ4, Transperc

Percussion:

PercU has Kraper Tape bussed out to an Echoboy

Claps: CLA-3A MaagEQ4

Shakers: only passing 4khz-10khz range

Little Drum: Black Guru, Unfiltered Audio G8, ValhallaRoom

Cymbal: trackspacer
Percussion:
Lindell 254E Pro-Q 3, TDR kotelnikov, bussed to a Devil-Loc and Vertigo VSC-2 and a short Manny Marroquin Reverb.

Vocals:
main:
Black Guru
TDR Kotelnikov
ERA De-Esser

Then to PolyComp for parallel compression and Trackspacer, side-chained to a harmony track to avoid drowning that

Support:
Kramer Delay on right bv
Main vox summed to bus with hi peak at 10khz and RX8 Mouth De-Click

Verb:
FF Micro, REV PLATE-140,Valhalla Room
Then Echoboy for sends.

BVs: 1989 verb, VIntageverb, cut at 850hz
All vox summed up with Maag-Magnum-K,F6-RTA dynamic eq, and the RDesser. Bussed to Pro-R for the intro only.

FX: Room
FX: DevilSpringVerb, Gain phase invert, Fiedler audio stage, channel EQ cut at 1khz

MIX BUS:
bx_console Focusrite
Acustica BLACK GURU
Low Wave Track24
Bx_hybrid (cut 3db at 3k)
BLA Magnetite
Airwindows Infrasonic

All of this is to increase warmth, Infrasonic actually increases the volume through its low-cut filter and Chris's mysterious algorithmic powers, but the normalized version is more 'dynamic' than the one without the plugin. Who knew?
Pingafuego

Post by Pingafuego »

Javi Ramallo - Lo siento por Sevilla - Mix Notes

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eGD86u ... sp=sharing

For this mix I used, in all channels, Slate console emulation (Neve desk), EQ (SSL and Neve), and compressors (1176 and VCA comp emulations).

Instruments and vocals were sent to group busses with Slate tape emulation, and Slate Fresh Air in vocals groups.

I panned acoustic guitars 100%, but decided for a narrower pan on vocals and claps, trying to have them more powerful and with more space.

Percussion got a clipper (JST) and Waves Lo Air plugin for sub bass.

Bass guitar was treated with RBass to make it more powerful.

Percussion and Bass were sent to a parallel compressor (Sound Toys Devil Loc Deluxe).

For vocal effects I used Soundtoys Little Plate. The vocal clips were chopped and its levels were adjusted.

I created a Room verb bus (Lexicon LXP Room reverb) and sent all instruments.

I carved some space in synth track using Waves Center and EchoBoy in a send, and Eventide H3000 Micropitchshift preset.

The master bus have Slate desk emulation (Neve) and SSL Bus Compressor, and some automation to make the chorus a bit louder.

ADPTR Metric AB was used for metering, and Expose for the final competition parameters check.

Thanks for Javier for this beautiful song, and Mister Fox for the competition!
elroms

Post by elroms »

Hi everyone, here is my submission : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qh5gbU ... sp=sharing

First of all, I regrouped the percussive elements together. I applied equalisation and compression to each one of them, panned the two claps tracks on the left and right sides and sent them to a room reverb. I also applied side chained dynamic EQ from the claps to the shakers around 10kHz, and from the low percussion to the bass.

I applied some analog EQ and compression to the bass, and then panned the spanish guitars left and right. I treated the spanish guitars 1 and 2 the same way, added a bit of chamber reverb to them.

On the synth track I removed the higher frequencies, and lowered some frequencies that sounded a bit annoying to me. I also applied some auto pan.

I did mid side chaining from the solo guitar to the spanish guitars so that it didn't get too muddy, panned it slightly to the left and sent it to a hall reverb. I then panned slightly the two last guitars to the right and applied some classic EQ and compression.

For the lead voice I used a plate reverb. I panned the support voxals to get a wider stereo image (50L and R), and even wider for the back vocals (100L/R). I used melodyne on the Backvocals1 track at some moments of the song where it needed to be fine tuned. I sent all the vocal tracks to a group where I applied glue compression and limitation.

Cheers!