2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC082 November 2021 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
DoloE

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC082 November 2021 - Submissions until 21-11-2021 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by DoloE »

Hello, I stumbled upon this page by chance (KVR) - great that there is something like that! :)
Everything is superbly recorded, especially the voices, so the mix went quickly.
The song sounds better the less you do ...

Here is my mix:
https://easyupload.io/esz6a2

String instruments: only eq (REQ) and automation.
Woodwinds, bass: RComp, REQ, automation.
drums: kazrog Iron, REQ, RComp, NY compression.
Saga vox: without Eq, RVox, automation.
Remaining voices: the same.
I did one subgroup for the all backing vocals.
Effects (very little): Hreverb and Hdelay.
It wasn't easy to get the mix to the desired volume. After two attempts I came to these values: Reaper measurement -16.5 LUFS, -2.1dB peaks.
Good luck everyone.
zuboski91

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC082 November 2021 - Submissions until 21-11-2021 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by zuboski91 »

Hi!

This is my first entry here and it was so exciting. The song was so fun to work on and listen to.
I started off with just applying some eq to the different tracks. The string instruments needed quite a bit of treatment. So I also added some tape emulations as well to.
For the vocals other than the lead I just grouped them and added some eq compression and limiting. I didn't tune the choir. I felt it would take away from the natural feel.
Overall there aren't a lot of fx. Some reverb and delay. And I added some chorus to the bridge section on the wide instruments.
For drums I clipped the loud kick type bits and i had to remove low mids from all the tracks. I grouped them and added some compression. I created a distortion send and brought it in during the fills.
For bass I used rbass to add some low end and i added an amp simulation which is very low in volume. I automated it for bits where I felt that the bass could stand out some more.
By the time I finished it had become a more in your face mix than the original so it changes the vibe a little. The most difficult bit for me was the vocals in the beginning. They were a bit harsh and I had to tame them. This was my first time trying that so I didn't get it exactly as I wanted.

If I were to mix it another time I would probably experiment more with panning. Right now it's very conventional.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gJGQcd ... sp=sharing
LughSenderson

Post by LughSenderson »

Hello everyone

Great music this month, I heard the style a lot when I was younger. I didn't do much, BX SSL 9000J for EQ and compression on all channels, and SSL Bus Comp V2 in general. In effect I used four instances of the LX480, three plates in different sizes and a large hall for the flutes and some background vocals. I also had two PSP42 and an Eventide H3000 Factory in the micropitchshift preset for all vocals. My goal was to bring some clarity and definition, with a lot of depth.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17iqqT7 ... sp=sharing
AskAndy

Post by AskAndy »

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1F7jHX7 ... sp=sharing Great piece. Thank you for the opportunity. I separated the sections/stems as such;Bass, Drums, Perc(bells),Vox, Gtr, Drone, and Winds.
I use three different zones a front , mid , and back via reverbs and delays set up in an effects section i call my SPACE. Each stem has some parallel compression ,EQ(F6) and a limiter.
mix bus has a VBC Rack for some glue and a limiter for emergencies.
want to putthe listener close to the players . in a large open castle courtyard . tried separating the basses but sounded odd to me so i put them, a little fat, up the middle and no send to my SPACE, had to work in the drones with the bass for the visceral effects how ever they are sent to my mid and back SPACE to give them some reality juxtaposing the basses. . the vocalist should be right there in your face. the ensemble layered behind her(mid and back). Drums apparent and surrounding , flute to one side with a front/back SPACE bend the rest fill in the field mid SPACE.
With work picking up intensely, I only had about 5 hours over two days to bang this out. As a matter of fact , I need to leave now. Two shows and a loadout today. poo
Last edited by AskAndy on Sun Nov 21, 2021 18:41 CET, edited 1 time in total.
Franz

Post by Franz »

So there, yes, an excellent title that made me come back.

I love this kind of music and I was lucky enough to record a lot of it at the start of my career. Orchestras are mainly composed
of more or less old acoustic instruments and voices. Nothing electric ... So, it's simple, everything is in the sound recording.
Not at all obvious, especially with instruments that generate a lot of induced noise. Judicious choice of microphones, and possibly
of the place of recording (acoustics of the environment: studio, church, open air, etc ...).

We have here with Canardus Horribilis excellent tracks to mix.

The first difficulty is to find a harmonious overall sound that would come from the same and unique place. It is therefore
a question of constructing the acoustic scene. Set up everyone. So use of panoramas. There are of course sub-groups to
create (especially for choirs to pre-mix and balance well - by ear and not with the potentiometer -. Then a mix only with
the level potentiometer. From there, we can go account if one must use corrections.It is true that there is a maximum
of people in a very specific spectrum - low midrange, midrange and high midrange-.
The difficulty of equalization is not to change the sound of the instruments among other things, but also the voices.
A particular difficulty, the incredible voice of the singer soloist to contain in a dynamic which must be reduced somewhat
("voice" plugin in Samplitude and Rvox in Waves Audio). A number of stringed instruments are panned into Auburn Sounds.
Moderate special effects in Eventide's Blackhole for the "flago" and the bell. The bass is processed in Babelson's BBCMP.
The percussion is slightly equalized in Q10 from Wawes Audio. For the two flutes it is imperative to pan them and
"stereophonize" the flute in mono from the start.

Afterwards, obviously, find the "right" balance for this orchestra ...

Expose: -17.1 Lufs, true peak - 5.99 dBTP and peak at - 6.07 dB

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cf692m96uxyvj ... z.wav?dl=0

Cheers

Franz
odistdan

Post by odistdan »

MC082

Thanks to Canardus Horribilis for the multitrack files.

I mixed this song on Reaper

Process goes like this:

Drums:
On bells I just used EQ.
Toms roll only has EQ
Chorus Drums routed to bus and bus has
Saturn warm tape style for low end clarity.
Virtual mix rack for little bit of EQ and Compressor.
Shape Shifter from aberrant dsp to clean the mud and bring out the punch.
SSL to refine the brightness.
Pro Q 3 to control low end rumble.
Saturn for upward transient compression.

Drums Bus:
Saturn Warm tube subtle Drive
CLA 76 to tame transients
Independent dual channel compressor for more contrast
Pro q Bosot at 40hz and cut at 176hz for final punch.

Bass:
Pro Q for cleaning
Virtual Mix rack for bass definition and tone shaping eq and compressor with automation.

Latin Guitar:
Guitar 1
Eq and compressor
followed by Eq match to create subtle difference from Bouzouki and make guitar stand out.

Guitar 2
Eq
Reacomp
VMR for tone shaping EQ and Compression.

Bouzouki:
Only Eq and Automation on individual channels
Bus track:
Saturn with warm tape style.
followed by eq
Followed by Clean Tube instance of Saturn
Eq match with latin guitar to create difference and make them stand out
A subtle Eiosis de esser to tame sharpness.

Flute:
Flute anja has only Eq on tracks
Flute Ranveig Has EQ, Shapeshifter for sharpness followed by tone shaping Pro Q 3
and Saturation Knob for little salt.

Flute Bus
NI solid bus compressor.
CLA 2A because it sounds nice.
Sie Q to clean 700 with gentle cut.
Saturn 2 with warm tape envelope follower setting.
Solid Bus compressor side chain compressor against vocals.

Drones:
Only Eq and Panning.

Drone Bus:
VMR VCC mixbus Transformer, Air EQ Earth, FG Bomber.
Pro Q for cleaning bringing out the tone.
Gem mod for Spreading the Stereo Field.
MSED to increase mids.
SSL channel for tone shaping and compression.

Outro Vocal harmony:
EQ on Individual channels and balancing
Followed by Mix bus Eq.
Saturn warm tape style
Compression.

Vocals:
Main Vocals has Pro Q 3.
De esser
and
Pro q 3 side-chained with Drums with Expansion to give them the rhythm of song.
Paraller compression CLA 76 and MJUC jr and automation.
Sends to Hall Reverb, Plate reverb and Delay

Background Vocals Bus had EQ, CLA 2A, and GEM MOD to increase stereo width.
With Hall Reverb, Plate Reverb and delay.

Mix Bus had Clean tube saturation style on saturn and pro Q dynamic high shelf band at 20 compression the whole mix by 1 - 1.5 db.

Peak: -3.3 peak

Find the song here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZzF54Z ... sp=sharing

Feedbacks are highly appreciated.
s&f

Post by s&f »

hi thank u for letting us mix ur song

here's my mix
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4327x93mst63f ... F.wav?dl=0

vocals - dbx560 a cla 76 and tried to clean the breaths
flute - a lot of dynamic compression
drums dbx560a + submarine
BV - double some with pitch correction
guitars - wow control

sent all to reverb space designer logic.

mixed in a hurry this time. thank u!

Lufs -16
if u want to compare to ur original mix, just add 7dbs.
DennisBastioni

Post by DennisBastioni »

Hi guys, happy to participate to this new contest. So my mix chain is not very complicated and i could tell you the exactly chain of plugins and effect but i would like to explain my mix whit my words:

I group the drums and i just put a q3 to remove some boxyness around 100hz and expand the high transients. After that i put the ssl9000j to add top end and body. (i send the group to a room reverb)

Bass: Group all tracks. i just remove that disturbing resonances in the mid frequencies and compress it (-2 db) with ssl9000j, than corrective eq and SPL Iron for a bit more compression and tone.

Flutes: again ssl9000j for air and baby audio smooth operator. Specially i use this two to tame mid frequencies and add clarity. (one of the flute is dryer than the other, hall reverb)

The two simile-guitars (i m sorry but i don't remember the name of that) i use the same approach: again ssl9000j and shadow hills to compress. Just remve the muddyness and add top end.

Vocal: a bit corrective eq and tame high frequency (de-essing) , air with maag eq4, Spl iron (generous compression. Lol.) and a large (hall, 1,9 seconds) and small ambience (room 0.5 seconds) mixed.

Choirs: corrective eq in the mids and add ssl9000j for saturation and air definition.

The guitars in the "variation" : just corrective eq in the low mids.

What i really like in the end is my shadow hills compressor in the master (1,5 db of compression) followed from the millennia eq to give that beautiful color.

I hope this description is useful and thanks for the feedbacks.

Good luck to everyone!

Dennis Bastioni

Link to listen my mix:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/17vMZ_B ... sp=sharing
delicate

Post by delicate »

Mix →

Processed the drums with SSL channel strips. Some EQing and slow attack compression. The weirdest thing I did was panning different mics of the same drum opposite of each other. In the end, I feel, it gave me some cool drum sound. The drum bus so slow attack/medium release compression, EQ cuts to reduce muddiness. Also a bit of parallel dbx160 compression.

The bass was compressed quite a bit. I also cut a lot of 1k1 to give space to other instruments.

The lead vocal was compressed with SSL desk comp and Acme Opticom with slow settings. I also used Autoformer plugin at the beginning for gain riding. I had soothe on the whole track and event-based EQ cuts to tame harshness. The BVs was highpassed and compressed with LA2A as a group.

The guitars were enhanced to help the groove. The flutes were heavily compressed with STA Level and some inline reverbs.

I had just one Spring reverb send for the vocals and some of the instruments.

The mixbus had some tone shaping, tape saturation, 33609 compression, and some multiband compression for increased depth.
Later in the mix I added some stereo widening on certain instruments with Goodhertz midside.
canese

Post by canese »

Hello,

This is my submission for this month. I loved the singing and the overall mood.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1D-nOKl ... sp=sharing

Voice: Has compression, eq, saturation and reverb
Bass: EQ, Comp, and a chorus in paralel
Guitars: Full panned, eq and compression, short reverb and delay
Backup chorus: Lot of reverb and paralel compression
Bells: only reverb
Flute: Eq, compression, saturation in the high-end
Percussion: Eq, compression. Mix bus has compression, reverb and eq.

Cheers! :clap: