2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC094 October 2023 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
cpsmusic

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC094 October 2023 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by cpsmusic »

JeroenZuiderwijk wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 07:47 CET
jeffssoloband wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 01:49 CEST
JeroenZuiderwijk wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 23:13 CEST
I think there is a mistake in the overview of the loudness specs.
Hi Jeroen
Just curious: what software did you use for your analysis?
—Jeff
I check the 'render stats' in Reaper when I render the mix. The readout says: peak -1.2dB (the mastermix meter in the projectfile peaks at 1.3dB left/right by the way). That is why I am confused. I had no idea the readout was not accurate. My mixes where always within the loudness rules, so never had this problem before. So I just downloaded Voxengo SPAN.....and indeed, there is another readout. So that is what I am going to use from now on.
There are a couple of free options which give TP measurements - MLoudnessAnalyzer, Youlean Loudness Meter.

Cheers!
White Punk OD

Post by White Punk OD »

kombainera wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 07:06 CET
I'm really sorry that there are no songs in the song pool, but there's nothing I can do about it. I want to ask the experienced ones how do you actually approach when you start mixing gain stage wise. My way is to normalize all the files in the project to -18 true peak db, in this way I am sure that I give a suitable level first for all plugins then for summing busses and mix bus. It can be a little quiet in general but it's not a problem at least for me because I can amplify the signal in many places so that I can hear it at suitable levels. If it is mixed through a mastering chain its natural got loader when a compressor is added and saturation. If i need to send something for mastering i think its better to have a lot more headroom then to send a mix at -3. Is this the best way or are there better practices? In 64 bit float point summing gain stage is more or less not needed at all since u can adjust at the mix buss at any time but its not the same with the plugins it matters how hard i hit them at least for me.
I click into all or most tracks, to judge if they sound "normal".
Knowing, what everything is, I set up my tree bus structure.
For Rock, eg.I have snare bus for 3-4 components, kick bus similar, snare+kick bus (musically this creates a total signature with the compressors on that one), ((check out how snare and kick interact in my mix)),
tom bus, brass bus (overheads, cymbals, hihat..), room bus.
Finally, complete drum bus.
Then, bass bus (lo high frequency components..), and DR+ BASS bus which is the ideal grip on the whole rhythm section where I can limit overs and adjust subsonic finetuning.

but back to the concept. with the bus structure, it is very easy to make a rough mix, as follows, using bus solo buttons.

then I set all track faders to -18 (which is set as default anyway, my DAW is treating a volume fader no different than any other plugin, I can have as many as I want in 1 trk), and the bus faders to 0.
then I try a rough mix with faders and panning, while I have already a mild compression on the master bus.
I should end up with audible, palpatable levels. I can use faders and the compressor input knob on the master bus.

So, when I get out some reasonable sound already, I can also see whether the relative track volumes are a conscious hint by the producer and give me some impression about the purpose and meaning.
If that thing turns out chaotic and cacaphony, then I run it through EZ-CD, that gives me volume normalizing of every track in a few seconds, so I could set that simply to -18 (for tracks that are playing most time throughout the song, the others like short effects I must add later, when I have a soundscape already).
In this case I begin to build up some soundscape with the volumes and pans as I like it, and can see how I can use some elements or not. I need to check out, at what time in the song this instrument plays something relevant at all.

So you see, this is mainly experience, which comes from hard work.
The concept of the particular project goes before formula.

To start with -18dB is safe, when the tracks have usual recording levels. Usual plugins are supposed to handle that.
If a plugin somehow feels insulted, I look up if there are specs for operation, anyway I can adjust clip gain for this track, or put a volume fader before that plugin, and then correct the general track fader.
For me, it works with a track count between 16 and 60. That's because the drums are supposed to have a certain level anyway, no matter what else is happening.
The secret to manage many tracks is a musical concept for the bus structure, and to lower the bus faders of orchestral etc.elements that need detail work later.
If there is a demo mix, then what you hear (instruments, effects) is what is important to the artist. Never forget about that.

If it's acoustic singer-songwriter, I start with vocals and the best playing musician, eg. a great pianist.
These must serve me a reasonable output level and balance, else I adjust clip gains.
My 2 cents, everyone can develop their own concept and signature sound,
1970studio

Post by 1970studio »

Hi All,

my mix's been tagged disqualified because of sample rate.
I'm new to the wildcard mechanics. I've read about it but I can see its use cannot be requested. Sorry, I don't understand if going to round 2 is an automatic step with one wildcard less in the pocket or if I have to wait for a specific message.
Thanks for help to those who's already been through this.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC094 October 2023 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by Mister Fox »

1970studio wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:25 CET

I'm new to the wildcard mechanics. I've read about it but I can see its use cannot be requested. Sorry, I don't understand if going to round 2 is an automatic step with one wildcard less in the pocket or if I have to wait for a specific message.

Every user on the community has two (number: 2) Wild Cards.

The "Wild Card" can be used if you have been selected for Mix Round 2 by this game's Song Provider (client).

You then have the option to decide for yourself if you want to advance (therefore automatically use a "Wild Card") or pass on the offer.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

kombainera wrote:

I want to ask the experienced ones how do you actually approach when you start mixing gain stage wise. My way is to normalize all the files in the project to -18 true peak db, in this way I am sure that I give a suitable level first for all plugins then for summing busses and mix bus. ... Is this the best way or are there better practices? In 64 bit float point summing gain stage is more or less not needed at all since u can adjust at the mix buss at any time but its not the same with the plugins it matters how hard i hit them at least for me.
White Punk OD wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 09:19 CET
then I set all track faders to -18 (which is set as default anyway, my DAW is treating a volume fader no different than any other plugin, I can have as many as I want in 1 trk), and the bus faders to 0.
then I try a rough mix with faders and panning, while I have already a mild compression on the master bus.
I should end up with audible, palpatable levels. I can use faders and the compressor input knob on the master bus.

To start with -18dB is safe, when the tracks have usual recording levels. Usual plugins are supposed to handle that.
If a plugin somehow feels insulted, I look up if there are specs for operation, anyway I can adjust clip gain for this track, or put a volume fader before that plugin, and then correct the general track fader.

There is a pinned post in the Production Techniques sub section of the forum about this very topic of Gain Staging. An while this post is from 2017 (one of the earliest threads of this forum), this is a concept that holds true to this day, no matter if you use plugins with or without reference levels, or also integrate hardware in some shape or form.

Although the post never mentioned recommended tools, which I have to remedy at some point with a bigger tutorial post.

Please see:
Gain Staging with VU meter (most notably post #002)
trackerjack

Post by trackerjack »

Mister Fox wrote:I did notice that a lot of the entries might have actually been mixed "loud" (probably pre-mastered even), and then pulled down in loudness to adhere to the specs. My assumption comes from plenty of mixes that are around -19,0 LUFS ILk to -16,0 LUFS ILk, yet the transients to do exceed -6,0 dBTP.
Slightly puzzled by this, I'm afraid. Should this perhaps read to NOT exceed -6.0 dbTP? @Mister Fox
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC094 October 2023 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by Mister Fox »

JeroenZuiderwijk wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 01:33 CEST
Thank you very much for the explanation and information. It is confusion I must confess, but I'll see what I can do for the future with another analysing tool.....
There is not much to confuse here.

Most DAW only show the "sample accurate" digital peak (aka: dBFS), not "True Peak" (aka: dBTP).

So unless your DAW offers a mode to readout these values (you mentioned Reaper, there is "JS: Loudness Meter"), please use a dedicated third party tool (e.g. the mentioned free Youlean Loudness Meter) to double check prior to submitting your entry.

See the following articles
https://splice.com/blog/what-are-inter-sample-peaks/
https://nugenaudio.com/loudness-true-peak/
https://youlean.co/youlean-loudness-met ... explained/ (please scroll down to "The True Peak")

trackerjack wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 13:06 CET
Slightly puzzled by this, I'm afraid. Should this perhaps read to NOT exceed -6.0 dbTP? @Mister Fox
Yes. Nice find. Will adjust the text ASAP.
JeroenZuiderwijk
Wild Card x2
Wild Card x2

Post by JeroenZuiderwijk »

Mister Fox wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 13:28 CET
JeroenZuiderwijk wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 01:33 CEST
Thank you very much for the explanation and information. It is confusion I must confess, but I'll see what I can do for the future with another analysing tool.....
There is not much to confuse here.

Most DAW only show the "sample accurate" digital peak (aka: dBFS), not "True Peak" (aka: dBTP).

So unless your DAW offers a mode to readout these values (you mentioned Reaper, there is "JS: Loudness Meter"), please use a dedicated third party tool (e.g. the mentioned free Youlean Loudness Meter) to double check prior to submitting your entry.

See the following articles
https://splice.com/blog/what-are-inter-sample-peaks/
https://nugenaudio.com/loudness-true-peak/
https://youlean.co/youlean-loudness-met ... explained/ (please scroll down to "The True Peak")

The article made it very easy to understand indeed. This helps a lot. Thanks!
White Punk OD

Post by White Punk OD »

Thanks Mr. Fox for pointing to the "Production Techniques". I agree fully that everyone should study that, when not experienced already.

I described my lazy and super fast take on that. My eyes are poor and i don't like meters. They make me very tired. I watch the red lights though.
My level-sensitive plugins have meters on their own. Many plugins expect a -18 level.
If a track has non-standard recording volume, I see it in the waveform immediately and correct that.
So, the main reason is that all tracks sum up to a master level that would be too high if we don't have correct track levels.
Having a somewhat hot master bus in analog era was the secret to warm sound. Some bus plugins try to recreate that.

For analog mixing, the gain staging should be meticulous, input coming from some 24-track machine whatever.
Do it wrong, and you'll get either hissing or distortion.
Integer engine DAWs need care about digital peak levels within the tracks, after every single plugin that might amplify the signal.
It shouldn't happen when meters are used like it is recommended in the Production Techniques.
1970studio

Post by 1970studio »

kombainera wrote:
I'm really sorry that there are no songs in the song pool, but there's nothing I can do about it. I want to ask the experienced ones how do you actually approach when you start mixing gain stage wise. My way is to normalize all the files in the project to -18 true peak db, in this way I am sure that I give a suitable level first for all plugins then for summing busses and mix bus. It can be a little quiet in general but it's not a problem at least for me because I can amplify the signal in many places so that I can hear it at suitable levels. If it is mixed through a mastering chain its natural got loader when a compressor is added and saturation. If i need to send something for mastering i think its better to have a lot more headroom then to send a mix at -3. Is this the best way or are there better practices? In 64 bit float point summing gain stage is more or less not needed at all since u can adjust at the mix buss at any time but its not the same with the plugins it matters how hard i hit them at least for me.
Gain staging is headroom of course, but in my case has more to do with time economy (more works in the same time) and mixer faders aesthetics. Once I had a similar approach to yours. I used to normalize all to -12dBTP. The best would be to do it after a first manual trimming of unique spikes you find here and there (vocals in particular). Peak normalization could be dramatically affected by just one irregular peak in a track, otherwise.
My current approach is different. Once loaded all the raw tracks into the daw, before doing anything else, I normalize all the drum/percussions tracks to -42dB RMS and all the others to -34dB RMS. In most cases it results in a more or less consistent starting sum with faders at 0dB (and peaks dancing not too far from -12dBTP). Numbers are subjective, I just wanted to share the principle. hope this can help.
Last edited by 1970studio on Sun Oct 29, 2023 20:06 CET, edited 1 time in total.