2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC096 February 2024 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
Jorgeelalto

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC096 February 2024 - Mix Round 2 in evaluation

Post by Jorgeelalto »

Hi all,

First of all, I want to congratulate all of you for participating on this edition. I know it is quite challenging for some as it goes out of the usual material in the Mix Challenge, but I guess this is what it is about. I hope it was interesting and you could learn a few things here and there. :hug:

On to the podium:
  • 1. @SimaGT
  • 2. @rvalle
  • 3. @MFTWC
Congrats on your great mixes. You got solid sound and the character I was looking for.

I want to do a special mention to @Pitta, I was considering you for the podium too but in the end I found your mix went too far away creatively and I felt it was unfair for the rest of the participants. I liked your mix a lot, but realistically I wouldn't have chosen it if we were client and pro, as it derived too much from my "vision". But still, I enjoyed it and I think it deserves this. :wink:

Now, the feedback for this second round, in alphabetical order:
  • @cpsmusic: Hi hats are so much better! They sound really clear and crisp, the texture in the high end is great, including the ride, however it is not too close to the right mod sound I was looking for. It still works pretty well in the mix, and combined with the punchy kick it works quite well. I find the mix is still a bit “muffled” though. It has enough lows and mids but some synth elements are still a bit low and makes the track lose a bit of presence. At 3:30 for example, there is so much going on in terms of synths in the arrangement but they are barely audible. I find I have to turn your mix up so I can appreciate all there’s going on with it. When I do though, it sounds good, so there is potential to get a really good mix from there.
  • @Davias: Still missing some pumping (sidechain)! Mix is solid, sounds quite compressed already. I find like it used to breath better, now the bass is not dynamic enough. That, joined with the fact that it is still not groovy enough (no pumping, top end doesn’t accompany the kick rhythm) makes it sound quite static. The kick is very punchy though, and the bass fills the mix a lot, too. With the volume up, it sounds like a brick wall, very powerful and energetic. The snare roll now cuts through the mix and gives the track the uplifting energy it needs.
  • @juhu: I see your comment on whether you improved in round 2 vs round 1. Unfortunately I think you stepped backwards. The difference is very subtle, I had to A/B both closely but I am guessing your muffledness fix was related to removing low mid frequency content and/or boosting high and low end? Sounds a bit like that. The new mix might have a bit more bass, but also sounds more muffled in the high end at times and a tiny bit less mid/low-mid frequency content. I struggle with muffledness too quite a bit on my on mixes and I usually find I am overdoing the bass, highs and compression effects. Might be your case? Try to A/B with the demo mix.
  • @MartialFromentin: Kick drum is now definitely better balanced and very punchy, I think the drums sound quite good. Bass is decent but when the sequenced bass sounds play, they cut through the mix too much, I guess they are too mid-rangey and they take too much space in the mix, then the rest of the synths/accents/leads are left in the back of the mix, they sound thin and far away, so in the end the only focus of the track is the kick drum and the bass, which kinda makes sense but the other synths are what make it interesting and varied. Kick and bass groove is very good though, that makes the lack of the other synths a bit less of a problem.
  • @Mellow Browne: It suffers a tiny bit from the same problem as many others, which is lack of emphasis on the synths. There is a lot of kick, pads and sound effects but some synths are a bit low. This results in a few sound effects (sweeps) being perceived as a bit loud. Kick and bass work well together but, again, the perceived volume is higher than I’d like, especially taking into account the hi hats are a bit low too. Now on the good, the kick is really punchy and the transient sounds great. You definitely controlled the low end much better than before. The groove is well done on the bass elements but I still miss some sidechain on other elements to get the whole track pumping with it.
  • @MFTWC: Really solid mix. It still has a bit of the gritty character that you gave it on the first round but the ride is now clearer and doesn’t mess with the groove. Not much to say here. Really good drum groove, I like it a lot, you got everything the arrangement could provide.
  • @Michael_K: Your mix got better! Not quite there yet though. I really liked a thing you did with the arrangement at the end of the uplifting part, just when the outro starts — a sequenced synth leaks into the first beat of the outro. The element balance is really good now, your mix sounds really clean, but I still feel you can extract more groove from it. It sounds a bit like if the kick and the rest of the mix are two different sonic entities.
  • @PauPeu: Still a great mix. The removal of the reverb in the kick made it much better, honestly I don’t have a lot of new stuff to say about it. I like the character you gave to it, with one or two changes it could work for me. If I had to nitpick on something, I would say it sounds a tiny bit “closed”, as if the elements lacked a bit of space to breathe in the high end, and also might be an slight excess of reverb in general. But sounds solid for sure.
  • @Pitta: Definitely better balanced in the frequency spectrum, the accent synths are more upfront and you fixed the glitch effect. Really cool mix! Taking into account how much it deviates from the original arrangement at times, I think it is good enough. You added many details, I’m not going to list them here, but it is interesting to listen to.
  • @Ronson79: Still a solid mix but there are still synth sounds that are too low… I am afraid I might have miscommunicated what the “accent” synths are? Unfortunately my comments from round 1 still apply this time.
  • @rvalle: Not much to say, really good mix. Some accent sounds are still a bit timid but the improvement is noticeable. Density and groove of the hi hat section is better too, now it works better with the kick and the rest of the mix.
  • @scottfitz: You fixed your issues with the mix and went beyond that. It sounds really solid right now. Making the kick work with the bass sequencers, as you said, did it perfectly, as they complement each other in a pleasant way. There is a big problem that you didn’t have in round 1 though, and I am thinking if it has to do with compression or what. There are some kicks that have their transient missing, I am not sure why it could be happening. Check out 2.41.818 and 3.54.545 for example. Quite unfortunate… I am curious as to why it happened.
  • @SimaGT: Solid, great sounding mix. Again it shows that you know how to work with these genres, I really like the delays that mix the synths together and work the transitions. I have no doubts this is better than my own mix. For these reasons I cannot give more feedback.
Again I'll be replying to comments and PMs today, and after I come back from my vacation :grin: Thanks a lot for participating and see you around! :phones:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

First and foremost, congratulations to the winners!
We are ending the game here and do not go into Mix Round 3.

:arrow_right: The winners podium consists of:
  1. @SimaGT .....(entries: Mix Round 1, Mix Round 2)
  2. @rvalle .....(entries: Mix Round 1, Mix Round 2)
  3. @MFTWC .....(entries: Mix Round 1, Mix Round 2)

:arrow_right: For learning purposes:
Here is the Statistic Sheet for Mix Round 2 - Overview of Submissions (PDF - updated: 21-MAR-2024 14:05 UTC+1/CET, full sheet)

We perform with the usual - in order of the winners podium, please select one license out of the pool and mention it in this thread, then (important) get in touch with me via PM with your full name, email address and your plugin selection. If one company has been selected, it is not available for the rest of the podium anymore.

I'll update the "winners podium" thread shortly.

⚠ Moderation Message from Mister Fox  
Important Information:
As part of a new collaboration with Hornet Plugins, you are allowed to select either 2 plugins at a maximum value of 20 EUR MSRP for both, or one individual plugin of choice from the whole available plugin range (bundles are exempt).

Due to time constraints, I could not make a bigger announcement about this yet. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Thanks again for your participation. You can leave the thread alive if you want to exchange tips/tricks, edits, etc.
And thank you @Jorgeelalto for the final words of feedback and encouragement.

Please check out Songwriting Competition 079 -- this month's genre is "Synthwave", with 07 entries so far.

See you on the flipside.
Pitta

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC096 February 2024 - Winners announced

Post by Pitta »

Congratulations to the winners! Great work everyone.

Jorgeelalto Thanks for the mention has it points that I didn't understand your intentions. I've taken in consideration the details in "A word from the song provider" and for the rest, went with the fun and what I felt the various parts could be. Never worked for a client but I always heard the advise "pay attention to the rought mix". I have to learn to control my impetus to be creative and focus on getting close to the mix provided and make it better. Or at least it's what I feel now that I should have done. On post #8: "I recommend not listening to the original mix anymore and comparing with other tunes" and the curiosity manifested in "words.txt" to see what we would come up with, sent me in a more free and creative path for an alternative vision.
Not saying this to complain, just trying to learn more with the experience. I like what I've done, had no experience with this genre before and it seems that you like it too so, happy, happy.
SimaGT
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Post by SimaGT »

Hello all , congratz to all the winners and specially big thank you for Jorgeelalto for providing us this high production level track. I have to admit that this song brought me back to my childhood, I'm not sure exactly which part of it, but I felt a special joy with a touch of nostalgia while mixing it Hopefully we get to se more tracks like this in the future.

For prize i chose - Acon Digital "Restoration Suite"
rvalle

Post by rvalle »

First of all, my congratulations to the winners.
I'm very happy that my mix was among the top three. I really like the style, and the fun is even greater when the production is well done. @Jorgeelalto , congratulations on the tune and thank you for being the provider of this challenge.
For the prize, my choice is Tape Machine Collection from IK Multimedia.
:tu:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

I just handled addressing the licenses for @SimaGT and @rvalle. Waiting for @MFTWC.

I will keep the doors open for more interaction for this particular mixing game.
MFTWC

Post by MFTWC »

Thanks for picking my mix and congratulations to the first and second place winners.

For the prize i choose: NUGEN Audio
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Hi @MFTWC
MFTWC wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 15:43 CET
For the prize i choose: NUGEN Audio
Nice selection - unfortunately this doesn't tell me "what" exactly.

I also need a PM with your full name and active email address (ideally already with this particular company), else I can not handle your request.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

I just handled addressing the final license request.

I will keep the doors open for further interaction with MC096.

Thank you everyone for participating - please spread the word, and see you again in April! :headphones: