2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC096 February 2024 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
MartialFromentin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC096 February 2024 - Mix Round 2 until 12-MAR-2024 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by MartialFromentin »

@Jorgeelalto thank you to have chosen my mix for the round 2!
It suffers a bit from lack of balance between the kick and the rest of the mix. That hurts the whole mix because the sidechain is sometimes not noticeable, especially in the reverb bass, and most other elements hide behind the busy drums
Could you give me more details about this feedback because I’m a bit lost? :P You mean that some drums tracks are too loud?
The drums seem balanced to me, so I’d like to understand well your own tastes. :wink:
Jorgeelalto

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC096 February 2024 - Mix Round 2 until 12-MAR-2024 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Jorgeelalto »

MartialFromentin wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 09:15 CET
@Jorgeelalto thank you to have chosen my mix for the round 2!
It suffers a bit from lack of balance between the kick and the rest of the mix. That hurts the whole mix because the sidechain is sometimes not noticeable, especially in the reverb bass, and most other elements hide behind the busy drums
Could you give me more details about this feedback because I’m a bit lost? :P You mean that some drums tracks are too loud?
The drums seem balanced to me, so I’d like to understand well your own tastes. :wink:
Sure! Well, I meant the kick track is too loud. This is a pretty common issue to have -- I do it all the time. You want the kick to have certain dominance over the rest of the track and punch well, so you make it louder.

In your case, I can see the volume of the kick (and, to some degree, the sequenced bass) eclipses the rest of the elements. synth accents, leads and FXs are a bit behind in loudness. The issue is not big, the mix in general sounds good, but it might become a problem if you try to master it. The limiter will have to work extra to get the kick down and bring the rest of the stuff up, and then the sequenced bass volume will also get in the way. Essentially, the amount of loudness you can extract from it will be limited, and you will have to work harder for it.

I don't know about you but I end up having this problem on most of my projects. I usually have to take a step back and reference to pro tunes in the DJ decks because I tend to overdo drums so I feel like the tune is punchy (and overdo the bass, too), then I try to get it to -8 or -7 LUFS and it is a struggle because drums and bass are working the limiter too hard and I can't get the melodic/synths/FXs/vocals/atmos parts loud enough for my taste. For me, referencing and listening at very low levels is what fixes it.

Gotta be clear on this, in your case, the issue is VERY small. The balance is quite good and I was able to extract decent loudness in some mastering tests, but there is room for improvement :wink:
MartialFromentin

Post by MartialFromentin »

OK, thanks for your answer, I know exactly what you mean now. :wink:
I’ll try to improve this kick/drums balance as best as possible.
scottfitz
Backer
Backer

Post by scottfitz »

Hi all,
Thanks once again to Jorgeelalto for submitting this excellent production and to Mister Fox for hosting. Here is my entry for round 2.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Pty8ZI ... sp=sharing

I agreed with the feedback that my low end and groove were big problems so I spent nearly all the time working on things like compressor timings, sidechain timings, a bit of shaperbox, EQ and saturation in the low end. The result is devastating ;) Seriously I'm a bit fried after working on this tune, pushed me to the limit of what I can do. In the first round I spent nearly all the time trying to make the kick sound ridiculously punchy. After the spending more time on the tune I think it was too much as if the kick demands that much attention it does take lots away from other elements. Instead on this mix I tried to make the kick an ally of the bass synths. I spent most of the time on a few sections where all the instruments are in, somewhere around 3.10 was my go to section to see if the groove is nice.

As usual I tried about lots of different mixbus compressors and probably spent an undue amount of time on this aspect. I tried:

SSL bus compressor - didn't work at all well, immediately dumped
Kotelnikov GE - experimented with a preset called "pump up" or something like that, but in the end I didn't like the way it was releasing
Cenozoix - found this one too complicated with the barrage of information you're greeted with
Softube Bus compressor - was experimenting with tempo linked release, but didn't work at all
sonible smart comp2 - it's all very well but I have no confidence whatsoever that it 'understands' this genre
API 2500 - seemed well set out for the job

In the end I settled with the API 2500. I am starting to realise that although you can easily totally mess everything up with a badly set unit on the mixbus, you are much better off spending less time on this and more time on the individual tracks or groups. I hear all kinds of advice about mixing into compressors or even mixing into limiters! I hear of people mixing into long chains of plugins, but I am starting to think could be best of all to mix into nothing. Then at the very end, when you have it sounding as good as you can get it, then add a very small touch from a bus compressor. All it can ever do to mix into a complicated mixbus is make every decision just a little bit less certain. If you are for example tweaking maybe an eq control near the region in which your mixbus EQ is boosting, then the EQ boost moves just outside the region and going to have less effect than just inside the region, isn't that a headf$£@ that we could all do without? If you are learning and trying to make your life as easy as possible, is it

a) better to mix into lots of complicated stuff
b) is it worse
c) is it more or less the same with a few pitfalls to navigate but some advantages.

I had previously thought the answer was c), but now I am learning towards b). So why does everybody do this? Is it just trendy nonsense?
Rant over, now for the sake of providing some information about my processing, on the API 2500, I went with:

Attack 30ms
Release 100ms
Ratio 1.5:1
Hard knee and normal detector thrust
L/R link 60%
overall 65% wet

I think these are some quite gentle settings which is crazy in the end because I think I spent the majority of the time mixing into a sonible smart comp2 on different settings to this, then at the end after fighting against it I eventually decided the mix sounded better if I just switched that off.

Other than this it was generally a classic mix session in which I flew around all the settings, gradually making everything louder even though I'm trying as hard as I can to A/B every change at level gain :)

good luck to all!
Jorgeelalto

Post by Jorgeelalto »

scottfitz wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 02:28 CET
I had previously thought the answer was c), but now I am learning towards b).
Same :hihi:
scottfitz wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 02:28 CET
at the end after fighting against it I eventually decided the mix sounded better if I just switched that off.
Same again :face:

In my experience it is just better to use as little as possible of everything. That way I have control over what is happening and I can correct at the source, based on unprocessed outcome. If I mix against my mastering chain, I am not making correct judgements about volume and dynamics, for example.
shroom feverish

Post by shroom feverish »

R2 mix
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vAtomO ... drive_link

Wide eq lift around 600hz on synts group
Added low energy to memo Sequencer 3 at nokick part
Volume level up on memo Kick tail and memo Sequencer 1
juhu

Post by juhu »

Hello again,

1) Here's my Round 2 entry:
http://tinkerstate.com/mix-challenge/MC ... uhu_R2.wav

2) Plus Documentation about my Round 2 changes (click on "Show" to expand):
► Show Spoiler
Michael_K

Post by Michael_K »

Hello and thanks for advancing my mix to round 2!

I adjusted the low end to make it more prominent in the kick and added more side-chain/lfo modulation to most of the tracks.
After doing that I did some rebalancing to compensate for the situations where the sidechain threw things off.
I also added a little saturation to the HH and the Ride.
Here is my round 2 entry:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cuEZ1F ... EMDOh/view

Cheers and good luck to everyone!
Mellow Browne

Post by Mellow Browne »

Thanks @Jorgeelalto for feedback so far!

So, here is my mix for round 2:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B5xWaf ... sp=sharing

Changes I made:
-Adjusted bass on kick
.Small compressor adjustments on bass tracks
-Adjustments on side chain effect and added more tracks
-Horn and Reese hits are now lower in volume
-Added filter sweep on kick track
-no SSL bus compression

Hope you like it.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC096 February 2024 - Mix Round 2 until 12-MAR-2024 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
We're in the final 24 hours to submit your edit for Mix Round 2.

So far, we have 7 out of 15 entries, with a bit more than 19 hours left on the clock.

There will be no deadline extensions! Please get your edit submitted today. Please also pay attention to detail still.

:arrow_right: A quick warning
Some countries are now observing "Daylight Saving Time", therefore time offsets need to be taken into consideration. Please always cross-reference the Global Countdown page. If in doubt, do not submit your entry at the very last minute.