2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC096 February 2024 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
jaThum

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC096 February 2024 - Submissions until 21-FEB-2024 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by jaThum »

Here's my mix

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/v4gfgbwr ... fjim7&dl=0

Nice tune
First timer so don't expect much LOL

Really crazy low end resonances made are tricky.
Loved the shakers. I spent a lot of time trying to get balances right, and spacing as side as possible. I found not too much to do with the pads and things, if I had more time (tacked on really late) I would have seperated hats and loner incidents better
FromAtoZMix
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC096 February 2024 - Submissions until 21-FEB-2024 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by FromAtoZMix »

Hi there,

Here is my version,

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LYZEOR ... sp=sharing

Everything was well prepared, stems etc. I have done just basic compression, EQ, panning. I have added some FX, here, there, but nothing special. Wanted to add some space and dimension to the mix. Level should be -17LUFS approx. Personally I like that bass element in combination with sweep, nice. Thank you and good luck. RZ
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC096 February 2024 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by Mister Fox »

It is the 22nd February 2024, 00:50 UTC+1/CET - the first Mix Round has officially ended

Once more, a very warm welcome to all new participants, nice meeting you and I hope you'll enjoy your stay. A huge thank you to everyone that is spreading the word about the Mix Challenge. Although I really hoped for a way bigger participation this month (especially with the new Newsletter engine)

Please also help get the Songwriting Competition as popular (SWC078 is still in full swing - 6 participants so far).

STATISTICS:
  • If I didn't miscount, we have 47 submissions this month (47 prior to the deadline, plus 01 after the deadline, not counting re-submissions)
  • We have 1 submissions after the deadline (as of 23-FEB-2024 21:00 UTC+1/CET)
  • We have 2 submissions that could not be downloaded by the time of this post and are therefore disqualified (re-checked 22-FEB-2024 0:50 UTC+1/CET, once more checked 23-FEB-2024 21:00 UTC+1/CET) -- there have also been 04 entries that had severe accessibility issues that either needed a login or other means of download (all of them are linked to Microsoft OneDrive)
  • We have 1 submission not submitted properly or not submitted in public (e.g. submitted via SoundCloud or via PM - see Rule Book, post #6, Upload and Submission Guidelines)
  • We have 0 submissions that have been withdrawn (entry counts as "submission within the deadline")
  • Overview of Submissions - is your entry within given parameters? (PDF - updated: 24-FEB-2024 07:20 UTC+1/CET, full sheet)
  • Overview of Submissions (disqualifications only) (PDF - updated: 24-FEB-2024 07:20 UTC+1/CET)
INFORMATION:
Statistic Sheets have been updated (on 24-FEB-2024 07:20 UTC+1/CET)
Statistic Sheets are not available yet, please wait for the official announcement post -- sheets will arrive by mid 25-FEB-2024 latest

⚠ Moderation Message from Mister Fox  
Important Update:
As of MC081, the Song Providers can now decide from the start, or once the Statistics Sheet has been provided, which route to go in terms of providing feedback. You can read more about this in the Mix Challenge - changes to main game (October 2021) thread.

:arrow_right: Our Song Provider for this month, @Jorgeelalto , decided to go the "(Feedback for) Top 15" route.
There might be additional feedback, but this is not a guarantee.

We will keep you updated.

I now open the field for everyone to give each other feedback (highly encouraged). This will be independent to the client feedback however.

Please watch this spot for the statistics sheet, client feedback and Mix Round 2 participant announcement.

Good luck to all participants.

:arrow_right: The Songwriting Competition 078 (SWC078) is still in full swing.
So far, there are 6 entries, 3 days left

Please spread the word!

⚠ Moderation Message from Mister Fox  
Please note, the Song Pool is officially empty. Without new multi-tracks, there will be no more Mix(ing) Challenges in 2024.

Only you can help. Please spread the word, or reach out yourself.

Please read more through the following page:
Mix Challenge - Song Pool Campaign

EDIT: 22-FEB-2024 1:00 UTC+1/CET - initial post
EDIT: 22-FEB-2024 4:00 UTC+1/CET - after extensive re-check, updated post
EDIT: 24-FEB-2024 7:20 UTC+1/CET - re-check, updated statistics, linking to Statistic Sheets
wkanegis

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC096 February 2024 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by wkanegis »

Hi guys, posting my mix.
I liked how heavy the kick was to begin with and didn't do much to it but a slight mid range scoop, if I recall. The arrangement was a bit sparse so I felt a bit of a struggle to fill the whole space. In the second half of the song I added a 'bit crusher' effect to the synth, along with some pumping reverb, which I'm guessing you will hear, just to keep things interesting and give it more contrast. As for the lead synth in the drop I used some distortion from FL Studio's blood overdrive, along with a gentle chorus effect from a free vst called classic chorus. As for the synths in general, I used some multiband compression on them, mostly just from intuition that sometimes I like to squeeze trance synths that way, to give them an 'in your face' effect. I also employed sidechain compression from the kick on various elements throughout, to keep the kick cutting through, and some distortion on one of the synths early on, that I hope didn't take things too far from the original, although I was definitely doing as a creative effect. I hope you guys like it!

My mix: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1unrphp ... sp=sharing
AlexAlba

Post by AlexAlba »

Pitta wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 22:21 CET
Hey AlexAlba. I think your link isn't working. You have to give permission.
Damn! Thank you, first time user of google drive :/ it's fixed now.
Jorgeelalto

Post by Jorgeelalto »

Hi people, thanks a lot for your participation to you all! It's gonna be a few days until I get the results ready, I'm quite busy right now. See you in a few!
Gius

Post by Gius »

Jorgeelalto wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 18:20 CET
Hi people, thanks a lot for your participation to you all! It's gonna be a few days until I get the results ready, I'm quite busy right now. See you in a few!
Take your time and enjoy the trip :)

..oh vi ahora tu bio.. saludos desde Barcelona! Mira tu por donde nos cruzamos jeje
Jorgeelalto

Post by Jorgeelalto »

kombainera wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 16:58 CET
@Mister Fox sorry if this is a flood for the topic but i keep reading that people put limiters on there mix buses i know that its not a big deal but kinda feel that its a bit unfair for the rest of us that don't do it. At the end when someone must choose the louder mix will sound better every time even with 2 db above the rest.I have no idea if this has been discussed before but I'm really interested to see what you all think about it. I know that if I use a multiband compressor at the end it is almost the same as putting a limiter -1 - 2 db, but nevertheless I have the feeling, at least for myself, that I should keep my limiters for the "mastering challenge"
Hi, I wouldn't worry too much about this. I'm gonna normalise the loudness of every entry to a common value so they sound "the same". Depending on how much they used the limiter it might even be worse.
Jorgeelalto

Post by Jorgeelalto »

Mr sj wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 13:05 CET
Hello
Thank you for this challenge

LINK MY MIX :
https://file.io/myWPLKX3rPMN
Hi,

Unfortunately I cannot download your mix :( It says file deleted. Did it expire or something?
Jorgeelalto

Post by Jorgeelalto »

denismusic2023 wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 21:19 CET
Hi! Listen to
https://soundcloud.com/user-116373227/m ... al_sharing
Hi Denis,

Can't download either :(