2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC36 September 2017 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
kc23

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC36 September 2017 - Submissions until 21-09-2017 11:59pm GMT+1/CEST

Post by kc23 »

kc23 wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 06:27 CEST

(continues in the next post... seems I can only attach three files and have four pics!)

Before that, one of the first things I did was automate the kick´s highpass filter. While mixing, I then used this automation for the drum-bbox track and the bass, tuning it to taste.

Here´s my track automation:
Shok track automation b.jpg

And then I automated the reverb busses:
Shok buss automation b.jpg

What I´ve used that´s not included in Sonar Platinum:
Izotope DDLY (freebie when I got it)
Wave Arts Tube Saturator Vintage (version 1, now a feebie!)
AcusticaAudio Lime (comps and pres)
AcusticaAudio Pearl (eq and comp)
AcusticaAudio Ultramarine (comp)

Pics and audio files at this link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/25o473yadsvc ... mCCla?dl=0

Well, hope somebody finds this useful!

Bye.
Waleed Morris

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC36 September 2017 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by Waleed Morris »

Wizzo wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 19:50 CEST
Hello everyone ,
Wav 24/44 : Download link here
Mp3 320k : Download link here
Hello everyone ,
First of all i respect everyone here , I just share my thoughts with freely speaking .
I have a suggestion , only winners can share mix documents with us ... I know "learning from each other" but you learning from the guy needs already learn ! doesn't make sense to me !! i can't tell you WHY i'm choose this specific plugins ? or i make that decision here to boost around "1k" i really concern about WHY here not monkey see monkey do with some basic steps !! for instant I cut -4db around 400hz in kick track to make some room for bass and avoid honky sound that come from the kick . this is like a tutorial to me , of course with some screenshots would be better.
I hope make my self clear and again it just a suggestion .. good luck everyone and have a nice mixing time.

Here we go :: Actually i don't like to make a huge changes in sounds
My Daw is AL in this mix can't tell you why but i like AL a lot .. I used AL plugins as well ..
Drums
1-Kick : boost +3db around 60 hz / cut-2db around 130hz to make some room for bass NOT need any compression
2-Chimes : only direct reverb with about 26% wet
3-Snare : (3 plugins ) saturation plugins about 35% / eq boost +2.5 db around 110hz , boost +4db around 7k , boost +6db around 12k / very little compression just for tone not for peaks.
4-Beat Box : cut -3.5 around 280hz /cut -2db around 500hz to make room for another beat tracks and really some frequencies here bug me a little.
5-Top 1 / 2 very little compression again for tone not for peaks
6- Ride : HPF 400-500hz / boost +3db around 15k just for Air / compression about -6db Gain Reduction.

Bass :the bass has very huge amount of harmonic low cut to 30hz / cut -2db around 60 (for kick) Boost about +2.5db around 130hz / cut HF from bass make it darker a bit (no SideChain)

FX : 1/2 just little compression -3/4db GR and added saturation too.

Synth
1-Mid Pad cut tell 200hz with very gentle slope /boost +4db around 1k / +6db around 7k / +2db around 2k as well i use here Eventide 45eq
2-Mid synth : Nothing here at all ..

Vox
Vox 1 : make it mono / low cut tell 200 / cut also -2db around 1.2k / Evintide eq 45 again here to boost +4db around 4k / cut -6db around 1k
Vox 2 : cut -3db around 180hz /cut -2db around 700hz .. echoboy directly 1/8th with 100% wet 10% FB .

Master Bus
SSL Bus /Limiter

Thank you for your time to reading my mix.
Coiled_Ear

Post by Coiled_Ear »

So...any news about results?)
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Already in touch with "the client" - wanted to inform you in a couple of minutes.

Apologies for the delay - the evaluation is coming within the next days.
OctopusOnFire

Post by OctopusOnFire »

Wizzo wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 16:59 CEST

Hello everyone ,
First of all i respect everyone here , I just share my thoughts with freely speaking .
I have a suggestion , only winners can share mix documents with us ... I know "learning from each other" but you learning from the guy needs already learn ! doesn't make sense to me !! i can't tell you WHY i'm choose this specific plugins ? or i make that decision here to boost around "1k" i really concern about WHY here not monkey see monkey do with some basic steps !! for instant I cut -4db around 400hz in kick track to make some room for bass and avoid honky sound that come from the kick . this is like a tutorial to me , of course with some screenshots would be better.
I hope make my self clear and again it just a suggestion .. good luck everyone and have a nice mixing time.
I agree that saying "I added 3 db on 1k" doesn't help much. I rather try to explain why I do what I do and not get into much technical detail.
But I feel that writing the documentation really helps me keeping track of what I do and why, and helps me analyze my own mix after it's done.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Two links of how I usually approached the documentation in the Mix Challenge (if I had time to join!). Maybe this is an inspiration for the future.

From MC26 / October 2016:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 6#p6592756
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 5#p6609115
adamfiregate

Post by adamfiregate »

Hello Everyone!

I'm very happy to be a song provider for mixing.
This is my first time doing this. And it is very exciting! :smile:

I will start listening to your mixdowns this evening. :phones:

Thanks for your work and patience!

Adam
adamfiregate

Post by adamfiregate »

Dear Mixers!

I listened to the tracks in file order, so the feedbacks are in the same order.

--- Feedbacks ---

Photonic
Nice and solid mix. Balance and reverb use stands out for me.
Elements I also liked: volume, panning, effects

Dave McIsaac
Precise balance and EQ. The wide stereo and bass effecting is also nice.
Elements I also liked: volume, panning, EQ, compression, effects

kc23
Wide panning is great, but the kick lacks power and punch.
Elements I also liked: effects

Kevin Gobin
Sounds very modern and progressive to me which I like very much. The kick is strong and got character. Balance, reverb and bass mixing excellent as well.

FixInTheFix
I like the low-end, but the mid-range sounds average to me. The bass filtering and automation is a nice idea.
Elements I also liked: effects, automation

Ungifted
Great job on the reworking, but the mixdown balance doesn't cut it for me.
Elements I also liked: EQ, effects, automation

Wizzo
Solid, clear and big. Excellent mixdown.
Elements I also liked: volume, panning, EQ, effects

Dodgingrain
Delay and reverb with automation plays a great role. The white noise fx is also nice.
Elements I also liked: volume, panning, effects, automation

Arthur Labus
Great rework, but the mixing is 2 dimensional to me. So a bit weak. The kick is too easy as well.

Jesper Waller
The reworking idea sounds great. The mixing could be more precise. I hear some timing or warping issues, maybe with the kick or drums.

VasDim
There are warping errors with the tracks. EQ top end is a bit strange but interesting in a good way.
Elements I also liked: EQ, effects

JonssinMusiikki
Could be a very good rework, but the mixing only contains mid and high range. Couldn't enjoy too much.
Elements I also liked: panning, effects, automation

CoiledEar
Good balance between rework and mixing. Interesting and nice to hear.
Elements I also liked: volume, EQ, effects

SRMIX
There is an interesting chaotic interaction between the tracks, but I like it. Good kick and balance.
Elements I also liked: volume, panning, effects

OoF
This also sounds very mid plus high range-y to me. A bit tiring to my ears.
Elements I also liked: EQ, effects

Tbase2000_441
Simple and solid ideas on the mixdown, which are great. And there is an interesting snare treatment.
Elements I also liked: volume, EQ, effects

Mork
Balance is mostly okay to me, the white noise sounds too much. I hear a bit of blurry high range which I don't like.
Elements I also liked: compession, effects

Dwic
Very good take on both reworking and mixing. Great balance, and continous excitement. Nice job.

--- Interesting Observation ---

Everybody used effects in creative ways, which I liked. I wanted to mention this.
This includes delay, reverb, saturation and distortion as well. :tu:

--- Top 6 favorites for Round 2 ---

Kevin Gobin
Wizzo
Dodgingrain
CoiledEar
SRMIX
Dwic

Thanks for doing this, and let's continue! :phones:

[warning=Mister Fox]Admin Edit - copied over the change/edit request from the following post
http://mix-challenge.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=895#p895[/warning]

Hi Everyone!

Sorry for my part about forgetting writing down the improvement tips.

Here they are:

Kevin Gobin
Please try to give the bass 1-2 dB boost and maybe with a bit of fattening with EQ around 150-200 Hz broad boost.

Wizzo
The kick could be amplified with 1-2 dB. The breakdown synth pad can be reverbed moderately and please try to soften the volume 2-3 dB.

Dodgingrain
Please enhance the panning of the hats on the one side to be more symmetrical or rhitmically pleasing to the ear. Avoid to be one sided.

CoiledEar
Please create a louder track, at least 3-4 dB than the actual one. Remove the fx from the ride and please use a more transparent sound similar to the original. The ride should be more dry. The vocal could be 2-3 dB louder.

SRMIX
Please add 2-3 dB loudness to the bass track. If you could do, please use more EQ cuts on all channels to clean up the mix. To have more separation.

Dwic
Please add 1-2 dB to the kick loudness. Please lower the decay or dry wet on the reverb of snare.

Thanks !!
Adam
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC36 September 2017 - Mix Round 2 until 04-10-2017 11:59pm GMT+1/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

Thank you for handling the evaluation, adamfiregate.

Let us kick off Mix Round 2, which will end on Wednesday, 04-OCT-2017 11:59pm GMT+1/CEST

NEW FEATURE:
There isa new new GLOBAL COUNTDOWN to check for deadlines.
Just follow this link: Global Countdown (on homepage)

The following 6 participants go into Round 2 (alphabetical order)

CoiledEar
Dodgingrain
Dwic
Kevin Gobin
SRMIX
Wizzo

A thank you to everyone, and good luck for Round 2
kevin gobin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC36 September 2017 - Mix Round 2 until 04-10-2017 11:59pm GMT+1/CEST

Post by kevin gobin »

Thank you very much Adam! :hyper:

May i ask what you would like to change in the mixes for round 2?