2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC076 May 2021 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC076 May 2021 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by Mister Fox »

:arrow: The "Overview of Submissions" PDFs have been uploaded.
You can check them through the upper post (post #79).

Apologies for the waiting time.

As mentioned in July 2020, this data sheet is used for giving an overview of all entries, and whether or not they are within given parameters (loudness, sampling rate, bitrate). As of 2021, I'm continuing this endeavor as this is adding to the learning process. Please take note that creating this is not a fully automated process. I am using Wavelab 10's "Batch Analysis" tool (EBU R-128 specs / equivalent to ITU-R BS.1770-3+), but the overall layout and highlighting the issues, is time consuming. If you do not find yourself on this list, please let me know.

We have a disqualification rate of 22,73% for May 2021 (66 entries, 15 disqualifications, not counting the 2 submission after the deadline).

In comparison to previous months (now in spoiler tags):
► Show Spoiler
On average (10 months), we currently have a disqualification rate of 29,71% (compared to last month's 30,48% avg).

:arrow: A commentary on this month's entries:

Where do I start? I noticed a lot of entries completely ignoring the file naming convention or even adding a proper username. The first two posts clearly state: name your files properly, use your forum username. I had several files that completely ignored this. There is sadly also one entry that dropped out of the game, because it wasn't downloadable. Or rather, it wasn't accessible for everyone else but the admin of the forum. The link to this entry, was posted in a withdrawn/deleted post (double post) by this user - that really stings.

Other than that, a lot of entries might need a revisit on the "transient" side of things. Due to the nature of the production (Electro-Pop, which is usually quite compacted), I also noticed entries that didn't even reach -6,0 dBTP. This will probably be addressed through the global feedback.

There is really not much more to add this month. Notice however, that as long as your mix could be downloaded, you didn't "reupload" during MIx Round 1 or didn't submit an entry outside of the deadline, you have a chance to use the "Wild Card mechanic".

The following hints for the future (once again):
  • Please check out MediaInfoOnline, to see if your exported file is in the right sampling rate and/or bitrate before posting on the forum. Especially if in doubt that the file-manager of your OS shows you the correct values
  • I can still highly recommend Youlean Loudness Meter 2 to double-check your file. The "Free Version" doesn't allow drag and drop for "offline analysis", but it's the most affordable and up-to-date variant to run a double check prior to my readouts (either use the ITU-R BS.1770-4 or the EBU R128 preset, Wavelab uses EBU R128). Orban Loudness Meter does get a bit long in the tooth at this point (only goes to ITU-R BS.1770-2, offsets +-1 LU are not rare)
  • check that your files are properly named and can be associated with your user account

:arrow: I (re-)open the field for everyone to give each other feedback (highly encouraged). This will be independent to the client feedback however. Criticism on the rule set and angry posts will be moved to the General Gossip Thread without further notice.

Please watch this spot for the client feedback and Mix Round 2 participant announcement.
This will happen sometime within the next 14 days (starting tomorrow).

In the meantime, please check out the Songwriting Competition 045 (May 2021). The Deadline is 24-MAY-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST.
dirtymike

Post by dirtymike »

Sorry I'm late, here's my submission...

https://dirtymike.stackstorage.com/s/oCxfr309xgumWrrC

I went all out automation wise, had a hard time making air move...

did a little subsynth on the bassdrum and made an extra bass-channel for dirt.

and lotsa saturation....

I tried to keep it a little rock and roll whilst maintaining as much dance-abillity as possible.
Marv

Post by Marv »

So am I right that my mix submission got disqualified because I used my full name as file name instead of 'Marv' (forum name)?!
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Marv wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 22:10 CEST
So am I right that my mix submission got disqualified because I used my full name as file name instead of 'Marv' (forum name)?!
This might sound harsh, but you did indeed not use your forum username in the filename. One could argue that your entry could still be associated with your forum post. However, if you're in a hurry hand you have to get through a huge amount of mixes, then you can get lost pretty easily (I definitely did while triple checking if I gathered all entries). Hence the mentioned naming convention -- example: first post.

Please note that the Song Provider is listening to all edits and can still select your entry for Mix Round 2. If that is the case, you can decide to use a "Wild Card" to progress further, or kindly decline.

Please have an eye on the thread for the Mix Round 2 announcement.
Marv

Post by Marv »

Thanks for the answer! I definitely get your point. Next time (or even Round 2) I will only use my forum name.
Christoph_K

Post by Christoph_K »

First: Thank you for your patience and sorry for the delay!

You know what is strange? You listen to a mix one day and again at another day and you hear completely different things. Our ears are strange and moody animals I guess. But after intense listening sessions I finally came to some kind of conclusion.

I will give each entry at least some feedback, disqualified or not. Not every feedback has the same word count though, so please don’t sue me for this.

Here we go (alphabetical order):

@A-Max
Nice warm and well balanced mix! The main guitar could have some more presence and it is not very exciting. It needs a little bit more shine and size as it is one of the main players in that track.
The Kick has a tiny little bit too much rumbling in the very lows and could have more „klick“. The Bass is a little bit muddy. The congas in the pre chorus could be a little more audible. In the last chorusses shaker and tambourine are a little bit too loud for my taste. I guess you wanted to have some increase in relation to the rest of the song, which is generally a good idea. The telephone voice is „hurting my feelings“ a little bit :) (3 to 3,5k). Top 25 anyway!

@aalekso0
Well, that mix did’nt work for me at all, I am sorry. Where’s the attack of the Guitar? What is this strange effect on the vocals? It sounds just totally wrong. It makes it impossible to listen to the mix with joy, sorry!

@addkulkarni
While the mix is not too bad and could be improved with some few moves (less echo on the leadvocals, adding more punch to the drums, some balance issues like too loud leadvoals), there are too many flaws compared to the other mixes. It sound a bit weak and thin. So no chance for round two, sorry!

@alavault
While the balance of the vocals, synth and guitar are good (as far as I can hear that behind these nasty drums), I cannot get the idea behind your drumsound. The kick has no body, just klick and rumble, the claps and snare are way over the top and are destroying an otherwise quite nice feeling unfortunately. The vocal FX in the drops are a bit too brutal - while good in their quality. The delay and the frozen reverb are too long. Too many better mixes, so no luck for round two!

@Alexvanmixland
Great Mix! I dig the width and the punch a lot! The Balance between bass and kick is cool, chest and stomach say yes! You could consider lowering the shaker and tambourine and also decide to distribute them better in the stereo field. The 808 stuff (more cowbell, you know) could be a bit more upfront. The pads in the last third are too loud. The long delay on the lead vocals does not work well, it draws the attention to far away into the void. I like it in the breaks. The lead vocals could be more „in your face“ in some places. The LV in the chorus is a bit too much on the bright side compared to the verses. The telephone vocal is a bit lost when it gets introduced. The whole lead vocals drown in the pads unfortunately. I like the treatment of the background vocals, well done.
Cave: there’s a little bit of buildup around 400hz.

@AndyM
Intro has some nice width, the right panning of the BGVa is odd though. Leadvocals are sounding good. Kick could have some more punch. Nice FX transition to second chorus. The Leadvocals are a bit harsh. The mix is one of the mixes with depth, I like that. But at times I am missing some glue, the mix seems to fall apart in the chorus especially. Maybe it's the drum loop? Dunno, it probably could be a little bit more restrained. Top 25!

@Beja
I like the BGVs; keys and synths are well placed. But the overall balance of the mix doesn’t work. The Kick has not enough low-end. The Main guitar needs a high pass. The lead vocals are way too loud and also too harsh. Some of the tracks seem to be misaligned (e.g. the 808 Cowbell is too late). Also the mix seems to be over compressed and sounds squashed, it doesn’t breeze. No luck for round two this time mate!

@Blang
Exciting Mix, creative approach. There’s a little buildup at around 260hz and you could try to highpass kick and bass at 30 to tighten up the low end a bit. In general the balances are good, lead vocals are spot on. Only the Blip Arp pokes out too much here and there and the kick could have more klick (@5k), it sounds a little bit muffled. The BGVs „Hey yeah“ and especially „Here we go again“ could be more upfront! Maybe tambourine and shaker are a little bit too loud. Top 15, well done!
PS: Where’s my cowbell?

@Bluesation
Nice warm and vibey mix - but: the balances of the percussions are somewhat odd in some places: Tambourine and shaker are way too loud. Also the slapback on the claps is a bit distracting. Drums, Bass and Synths are nice though. Nothing what couldn’t be fixed. Can’t give it a go for round two because other mixes hat less problems.

@canese
Something's wrong with this one. It sounds distorted and somewhat far away. The bass is funny though, but it does not work at all with the rest, sorry!

@ciaranchrisoshea
I like the general vibe of the mix. The vocals sit very good in the mix! You could dial back the hall/reverb in the verses a little bit though. Also the BGVs could be more present. Guitars, pads, keys and percussion are good. There are some problems with the drums. The bassdrum is not loud enough to push the track forward. And I don’t like the harsh effects on the claps, they are too distracting from the vocals. All in all there is also some harshness around 1.8k and 9-10k which is masking the vocals and some buildup at around 180hz - nothing you can’t fix. But too much for round two!

@clueless
The kick has a strange tone, too much kick and not enough oomph. The vocals are a bit harsh and the BGVs could have more space. All in all the mix is a bit too much on the bright side. The bass is alright though. But this one won’t make it into round two.

@Coiled_Ear
The low-end foundation of the mix is quite right and the vocals sound natural. They are too low and could have a bit more presence though. The BGVs are barely audible at some places. The use of all these different spaces/effects is too distracting. It creates a strange stage so to say, the hihats are in a different room then the rest of the „drummer“ - at least I hear it that way. I was listening more to the mix-tricks than to the music. Yeah, that’s fun too - but that was clearly not the goal here, I’m afraid. Sorry bro, that one didn’t work for me.

@dadomachado
Not bad, but I have too many complaints. The bass is too muddy and kills the kick. The lead vocals could have more sheen and sound less harsh, also the telephone lead vox is really annoying. Besides that the balances are ok, the overall vibe fits the track. It could be a little more exciting though. Some tracks could be treated more in the direction to bring out their own characters more and the panning of some tracks seem to be odd, claps and the BGVs should be in the center for my taste. Top 25!

@diegonerysts
I dig the intro a lot. Wow, the kick comes in like a boss. Cool! It’s a bit boomy though and some serious punping is going on there. Also I hear some distortion throughout the whole track. Is it in the vocals? The kick? The bass? The mixbus (OMG)? I can’t figure out exactly where it comes from, but I don’t like it. The lead vocals sound a bit too muddy - or bassy (look at the 140hz range) in the verses. But the punch - yeah, I like. You have a friend here ;) But maybe you dial back the bus comp a little bit. In the second chorus the strings are too loud. Too bad you missed the documentation. But I will give you a wildcard because you deserve it with this top 15 mix. And please turn up the 808 cowbell and party like it’s 1988!

@dirtymike
I really like the Arp sound, it’s dancing around quite nice. The rest of the mix does not work, the vocals sound as if the singer is in the bathroom next door. The whole mix sounds heavily scooped in the mids.

@dnlptn
Overall I like the warm punchy sound. The bass is too muddy (there’s some buildup happening at around 180hz) and rumbling. The guitar needs a bit more attack/punch. I don’t like that long reverb trail on the leadvocals in the verses and maybe the BGVs are a little bit muffled (pull up „Hey yeah“ in PC and „Sky“ in the chorus). Also the leadvocals have too much muddy frequencies to my taste. The claps in verse and pre chorus 2 are a little bit too loud. Top 15!

@DodgingRain
Nice one! I like the overall vibe. Maybe the drums, especially the kick should have more punch and be louder. The lead vocals seem to be bit loud in the verses and I don’t like the short plate (or whatever that is), it sounds too cold. The blip arp is a bit distracting, try to embed it in the track more. The bass sound is nice! The Telefone sound is not bad, just a little bit too far away for my taste. Definitely a top 15 result!

@EduCesar
Balance wise you are on the right way. I like the width, the vocals, the effects - everything is ok. But there are some problems: the mix is way to mid rangey, there is a lot masking going on in that range from 1 to 3 k. In the lower section the tracks lack separation, there is too much going on around 200hz. Besides that I like the way you approached it.

@elroms
This is a very well balanced mix, warm and punchy - not much to complain; I can hear everything - except the 808 toms/cowbell (and the sequencer in the intro is quite lost and should dance round more). Some suggestions: I would try to bring in some depth because the mix also sound a bit flat. At least the BGVs could have a little bit space around/behind them and also be louder quite bit. The main guitar is a bit too low and at the same time it fights for attention with the leadvocals in the center of the stereo field. The claps are fighting the lead vocals in the pre chorusses as well. You could also try do pan shaker and tambourine L-R. To get a more clean low-end you might have a closer look at what’s goin on in the 150hz area. All in all: Good work, top 15!

@Elver_1
I like the chorusses where the instruments sit in the right places. The FX choices for the lead vocals seem to be a bit all over the place and some BGVs are totally lost. I would have preferred a more consistent flow of the vocals, now they jump back and forth and the fx are distracting at some places instead of adding a vibe. The kick has a little bit too much rumble and there is some buildup around 125hz. Also the mix is a little bit muffled, not open enough.

@EmZU
While the mix is heading in the right direction it’s to bit too mid rangey. I like the feeling of the chorus quite a bit though. Leadvocals are too loud - or/and have too much harshness at around 3.2k. The long filtering effect in the intro doesn’t work for me, it sounds like a mistake. Especially the BGV is too muffled. The guitar sounds fine, but it could have more warmth and in the end it’s way too thin. The Balance is about in the right spot. Kick/bass could be louder, the mix lacks a little bit low-end. In the midrange there’s some fighting going on. Maybe you should have given more attention to the separation of the tracks. The bouncing reverb on the drum hits brings in some interesting excitement (which I kinda like), but it could be dialed back a little bit nevertheless. The mix won’t go to round two even it is one of the better ones.

@EstudiodelLeon
Well, the balance is not totally wrong. Keys, drums and vocals live somewhat in their own space. But the overall tonality of the mix does not work at all. The Kick has no low-end and is killed by the bass, the vocals sound quite harsh or have way too much de-essing (and I don’t like the distorted part from the bathroom). Can’t vote for this one, sorry!

@FrequencyPainter
Yeah man! I like that punch! But at the same time you may have been carried away a bit with the bus compression, dunno. Try to be easy on that, it’s pumping a bit too much, it makes the mix a bit squashed. The mix could be a little bit cleaner. Especially in the chorusses it gets a little bit to dense. There’s also a bit too much going on at around 600hz which brings in some boxyness. The lead vodals in the last chorus hurt my feelings a bit (that good old 4,5k thing). But man, I like the drive that one has! In the second verse you have this half time kick, please don’t do that. Either in or out for the first four bars. You know what’s funny? Your body tells you if a mix is good or not. At least for me it works that way. Your mix got me moving a lot. Maybe it’s the hihats you brought more upfront… Great work. By the way: You are in a sincere duelling situation with diegonerysts mix, there you have it. There can be only one! Top 15!

@gonzacarmele
After I came through your tough security regulations ;) I finally could listen to your mix. There are a lot of things in the right place - except the low end. Bass is too boomy, no separation with the kick. A bad low end can destroy a whole mix - I’m afraid but that seemed to have happened here :(

@Green-Dog
Panning decisions are not working and the tracks sounds to much out of the bathroom, my ears start twisting. Too many problems to list, sorry!

@IbanezoO
Hm, the mix sounds a bit like it’s coming out of the bathroom downstairs. The pitched effect on the vocals does not work at all for me, it sounds if you’re trying to make fun out of the vocals. While the chorus sounds kind of smooth it’s a strange vibe overall. Can’t give you a pass for round two, sorry!

@jeffssoloband
The guitar sound is not warm enough and too roomy. Funny Arp sound, but too distracting, it should dance around the vocals and not try to be the little boss here ;) The drums have no punch and the mix is too playful and gimmicky, you pay more attention to the effects than to the track. Also the drumtracks are flamming, maybe there’s something wrong with the placement of the tracks?

@JohnK
Nice warm and punchy while relaxed and open sound, I like that. Some thoughts: All in all drums and bass play together quite well. However the bassdrum could have a tiny bit less rumble and the bass sounds a tiny little bit too fat, it’s just a hair's breadth from perfect - so be careful with the changes. Congas are too loud in the pre-chorus and have too much reverb. The main guitar should be more upfront and tighter, less soft and reverby, especially at the end. The pads could be a bit louder to my taste. Imagine ocean waves coming and going and carrying the song. The lead synth on the other hand is competing with the lead vocals. Lead vocals sound a little bit phasey and seem to be heavily processed. The BGVs are too lost in the pre chorusses (push up „Hey yeah“, „Uh Uh“ in PC2 is ok). I like the selection of the effects though. „Sky“ and „Here we go again“ BGVs are too far away. Overall I like that one, Top 15!

@jules666
Well, my friend. What I hear is a heavily squashed and distorted track, it sounds like something went wrong during the export or so. I checked twice if my speakers went to hell. But if this is the result of a decent thought process and therefore an intended outcome, this is, let’s say, a very creative approach to mix this track. However, I can’t vote it into round two because it’s not in any way near the sonic spectrum and vibe I’d love to hear for our song. Sorry!

@Kevin Gobin
While the mix sounds a bit small, all in all the balance is quite good - except the buildup in the 200-300hz area, also it is a little bit thin in the low end. The basstones are „fading“ and lacking some foundation. The BGVs are too far away. Hard panning the different tracks is kinda unhelpful. The lead vocals sound fine, I only find the room (or is it a short plate?) on the leadvox sounds a bit too „cold“. The delay of the guitar is too dragging. In the end it fades out too early. The chorus lacks width and should have sounded more uplifting, the waves from the pads are almost gone.

@KrissK
You got me with that cool transition before the first chorus! And while I like the overall vibe and balances, the bass is a big problem in this one. it sounds too muddy. Maybe you could have scooped out some db at 160hz und added some 80hz. The BGVs „Uuh ah Uuh“ are too loud and/or have a resonance problem at around 500hz. Also this one is one of the better mixes and there’s nothing you couldnt fix quite easily, but other mixes had less problems.

@LCM!
While the balances are quite in the right place overall the bass doesn’t sit right, it pokes out too much especially at around 160hz. Also the lead vocals could be pulled down a bit and the BGVs have no vibe, maybe they’re too dry. Also the panning of the BGV doesn’t work for me. Definitely top 25, but no luck for round two :(

@loger
Well done, I like it dense and punchy! Just some few remarks: The bass has some muddyness (maybe around 180 ore 200hz). Balance between vocals and congas in the first pre chorus does not work (may just pull up the lead vocals, they are a bit low in general). The 808 cowbell is too far away in the break. The Rhodes is a little bit too loud in the pre chorus. The lead vocals in the chorus have too much highs, they sound thin and in the final chorus they could be louder. „Sky“ and „Here we go again“ from the BGVs could also be more upfront. The snare has too much sizzle and not enough tone in the chorusses. One of the top 15 mixes!

@LughSenderson
Overall one of the better entries. The chorusses are very good. But the verses have balance problems. The guitar is a bit too loud. The load vocals are too hot (too much distortion?) and a bit harsh. Nonetheless it’s a top 25 mix.

@Marv
Very clean and well balanced mix! The lead vocals have a nice pocket (a bit mid rangey in the chorusses around 1k). While I like the guitar, it’s too loud in the pre chorus. Put the BGVs „Sky“ and „Hey yeah“ more upfront instead. The claps in verse 2 and pre chorus 2 are too loud. The blip arp should be dancing, I am missing a delay on that one. The telefon-ish voice is a little bit harsh to my ears. Also the panning irritates me a bit, maybe you try to gain separation more with the sound than with the panning? Top 15!

@mattchavesaudio
The kick comes in strong with a bit too much lowend, it introduces too much pumping for my taste. The guitar is too weak though. BGVs are too low. Lead vocals too far away. I like the punch, but no luck for top 15 this time.

@MattP
Interesting, the blip arp in the intro sounds like an oil can. Funny. I like the creative approach. The BGVs have too much effect on it. While I like it punchy, this mix is a little bit too hard for the vibe of the track. That doesn’t work for my, I’m afraid!

@maxovrdrive
Interesting effect on the guitar in the intro, could have been stereo from the start and than dialed back in the verses. Drums have good punch, balance with bass ist good, kick could have a mini tiny bit more oumph. BGVs are in the right spot. The separation of the tacks could be better in the chorus, there is a lot going on in the 2-3k area. Maybe the shaker and tambourine could have been dialed back a bit. In the higher mids there is not enough room for the vocals. The vocals of the last chorus have a lot de-essing - or whatever is going on there - they sound quite unnatural. The verses have a great energy. Overall it’s one of the better mixes (top 25).

@MFTWC
This mix is somewhat in the right spot. What I like: The kick and the claps are good (kick and bass could be a little bit punchier). What I don’t like: The lead vocals sound a bit muffled in the verses and pre chorusses and the second chorus, the first chorus is ok. The Snare in the chorus is to thin and too harsh (it is also playing long before the last chorus, this is not the original arrangement). The crash, tambourine and shaker are a little bit too loud. All in all the mix is too dry for me, it has not enough depth. All Instruments (except same pads) are more or less on the same plane. Top 15!

@MrFlat
While there are some problems (too much muddyness in the bass at around 125hz) and same masking in the mids at around 2k) I like the overall vibe. The mix has some excitement and punch. The Kick sometimes looses its grip, maybe the separation of kick and bass could have been better. Also the vocals fight the pads in the second chorus. The lead vocals in the last chorus sound strange EQ wise - maybe too much lows. Top 25, even if disqualified.

@NGGstudios
I like the intro and the verses, they have just the right vibe. The mix begins to slacken in the pre chorus where the lead vocals are too low. Also the long echo doesn’t work for me. The crash hits a little bit too hard. The mix gets better in the chorus again, although the claps are a bit too loud. But because I like these hits: try to compress them, put some reverb on it and pull them back. The BGVs are nice and spacey. The „Here we go again“ is too far away though. The lead vocals have some unpleasant harsh frequencies (especially in the verses and pre chorusses where they sound rather thin) and the long delay does not work for me except in the drops. The leadvocals shoud have some uplifting treatment for the chorusses, they sound a bit too dry. The solo synths are too loud and fight the vocals. The effects in the end should fade earlier, now they just have been cut off in the end, which sounds like a mistake. Good mix, one of my top 15!

@nicores
Nice warm intro guitar sound. The blip arp is dancing nicely. The problems start in the verse with the effects on the leadvocals, it sounds to washy IMO. In the chorus the leadvocals have too much high end for my taste and they are too loud as well, it kills the flow. The „Sky“ BGV is too far away. Kick and bass are good though!

@NigelAli-Digweed
The long filter effect on the kick I found that somewhat irritating. The 808 Tom fill is drowning in reverb. The track gets in a better shape after that and the balance is quite good. But really I don’t dig the amount of distortion in the vocals and the drums, it does not fit the vibe of the track IMO. The BGVs are way too low throughout the whole track. Cool phaser!

@Nikguitar
While the overall sound is good, with a warm, vibey and a good kick-bass-balance, the lead vocals are problematic. In the verses they lack sheen, in the chorusses impact. All in all the mix sounds a little lifeless, I’m missing at least some excitement and movement - sorry!

@Odistdan
I like the snap of the congas. But there are many problems: The lead vox is a bit harsh in the chorusses and Kick could have more punch and oomph. „Here we go again“ to muffled and far away, the pads are a bit loud or mid rangey in the second chorus.

@pabloAT
The vocals sound fine and the bass tone is also good. The drums, well, they don’t work at all. They lack punch and don’t drive the track enough. One can hardly spot the kick drum. Also the panning decisions are somewhat unfortunate (BGV and the reverse guitar panned hard left makes them fall out of the mix).

@pemberley
The main guitar could have needed some lowpass, also the kick has too much rumble below 40hz. The lead vocals have too much reverb in the pre chorus for my taste, also the BGVs are completely lost in space. The lead vocals sound really strange, boxy, mid rangey in the chorusses, the verses are ok. And please don’t ever put long reverbs on shakers - except you´re doing 90’s style chill out cafe del mar music :)

@PGPMixing
Very cool! Let me focus on some things that could be improved from my perspective: The guitar should be lowpassed, there are some high end spikes that I don’t like. Kick and bass are not ideal, maybe you pay more attention to the separation of the two. The kick sounds a bit muddy and masks the bass a bit. There’s also a but too much rumbling. Take care for the synths and pads (especially in the second and third chorus), they tend to overwelm the vocals. The BGVs in the pre chorus and chorus should be centered. The claps in the second verse could be turned down a bit. The solo synths in the last chorus are also a bit too loud. Overall the mix sounds a little bit to scooped in the midrange around 1k. Top 15!
PS: More cowbell please!

@Photonic
The balance of the tracks is ok and I like the percussion, the FX on the BGVs are very nice („Here we go again“ is too far away though). All in all the mix is a little bit on the harsh (or mid-rangey, around 2.8k) side and wouldn’t suffer from more punchy lowend. Definately one of the better entries (top 25) but I won’t go to round two, sorry!

@qhtrvw425
Nice slap on the main guitar. Regarding the overall balance the instruments sit in the right place, or next to it. The lead vocals are a little bit too loud and are too muddy. The BGVs could get a little fluffy space around them. Also you could open up the mix a bit top end wise. Also it could have a little bit more low end. The drums could be a little bit more punchy, pointed, snappy - or just louder? Dunno. Overall it’s working very well, not good enough for top 15 though (top 25 in my list).

@RodA
This one sounds more like a remix of the remix. While I can hear how much work you may have put into this, I think it’s too much effects and they are all over the place, way too playful and distracting. Besides that the balance is quite a mess, hihats/percussions are way to dominant and the drums have no punch. Sorry, this one can not make it into round two….

@S&F
Cool mix! The lead vocals are a bit dry and too low in the verses but I like the stereo spread on the lead vocals in the pre chorus. Maybe they are a bit harsh in the first chorus, the second it ok. It’s a bit irritating that the second chorus sounds so different effect wise. Try to get them both in the same pocket. The claps in verse 2 and the following chorusses are a bit loud IMO. The blip arp sound could have a ping pong delay so that it dances a bit more. The low end is a bit muddy, have a closer look at the 160hz range. Good work, top 15!

@Samonov
The guitar has phase issues (listen to the mix in mono, then you’ll probably hear it). The mix has some boxyness around 700hz and the lead vocals could be less harsh and loud. The BGVs in the pre chorus are too far away („Here we go again“ and that „aaah“ thing).

@satchboogie
I like the dancing arp synth, something I missed in many mixes. But the mix does not work balance wise. Too much reverbs and way too little punch in the drums. Maybe with less reverb and a louder kick the mix would be in a better shape.

@Skible
Balance wise, drums, bass and keys are somewhat in a good starting position. The lead vocals work, except in the last chorus. There’s a really strange effect on the vocals ("harmonies" with a pitch shift) - that didn’t work out well, I’m afraid. Some reverb/delay effects are all over the place and the BGVs are too low. Also there is too much low lows (beyond 30hz).

@skym
Overall I find this a good one. While I like the punch of the bassdrum the kick it is too loud and mid rangey at 1k, that destroys the balance a bit. The BGVs are too far away while the lead vocals are a bit dry in the verses. The hall in the chorus on the lead vocals is a bit odd though. Top 25!

@SoundBeing
While the balance of the mix is kind of ok-ish, I have problems with the use of the effects. They sound too „artificial“ to my ears, or, how can I put it, the effects seem to be more important than the instruments. While they are not bad in places: less is more probably? Vocals are too harsh at some places (@2.7k). Also I hear some buildup around 280hz. Also you changed the harmonies in the first pre chorus.

@stefanweith
I like the „uuh“ BGVs, Also the lead vocals sound fine in the verses, in the chorusses they have way too much highs. The BGVs in the pre chorus are too low, „Here we go again“ sounds strange. I hae problems with the kick, there is too much going on between 150-200 cycles. You tried to add punch, which is good. It beats the sh.t out of my speakers and maybe you have overdone it a bit, at least for my taste.

@SuC76
Nice warm guitar! The „Uuuhs“ are too compressed, the lead vocals are slamming loud. The balances of the mix has too many problems, can’t give it a go, sorry!

@Tapwater
I like that you tried some creative moves here, the octave on the bass, the oversaturated blip arp and so on. There’s nothing really wrong with your mix. Unfortunalely I liked too many mixes better so this one won’t make it intro round two.

@TomImmon
Your mix is one of the most well balanced ones. I dig it! MAYBE - the kick could have a tiny bit more punch. Bass is cool! The Blip Arp should dance more (maybe you’ll add a ping pong). The Track with the „Sky“ and „Here we go again“ BGVs should be centered. „See the same stars“ at the end of the second chorus should also be centered. The telefone voice is a little bit too loud and also at bit too distorted when introduced. Maybe you could try to tame the high mids in the lead vocals a tiny bit more and dial in some warmth, they are a little bit too thin. Also please re-visit the de-esser settings because the singer starts to lisp sometimes. Great work, Top 15!

@TonyDavis
The main guitar works good. But I think your mix is way to harsh (especially the lead vocals) and reverby at the same time, some elements just drown in the space of the effects. It also seems to be a bit overcompressed in general. The keyboards and the bass with the kick are quite nice though. Won’t make it into Round 2, so sorry!

@Unclesnuggles
There are some interesting moves in this one, the stereo drum loop (even if it too loud), some special fx to bring some excitement (even if it too much here and there). The kick could be a little louder for more punch. The lead vocals are good in the verses but in the pre chorus they are to low, or maybe they are defeated in the battle against the tambourine and shaker, which are too present chorus. Your track lives in my top 25.

@Ungifted
There are many things in that mix that go in the right direction. I like the punch, the rhodes sounds great and the cowbell is loud enough ;) The kick is missing some oomph - or body. The lead vocals in the last chorus sound overcompressed and the guitar is a little bit too thin for my taste. The bass sounds nice, full and warm. Also the BGVs have found their right pocket. To bad the mix is out of the game… Would have been top 20 - minimum!

@VasDim
The mix is somewhere on the right way. The guitar has a nice tone and the BGVs sound smooth. The drums could have more punch and the lead vocals sound a bit unnatural in the highs - too much exciter? Too much de-essing? Dunno. The overall balance is not bad, but there are some issues: the lead vocals are a little bit too loud in the verses, in the chorus they fight with the synths.

@vintage
All in all it’s a warm and vibey mix, I dig it. Kick and bass are good and I like the punch. The balances are also good. To my ears it sounds a bit lifeless, dunno why. The guitar has phase issues: listen to the track in mono and it disappears almost completely. The lead vocals have no sheen and the telefone voice is a little bit hurting in the high mids. Besides that it belongs to the top 25.

@Vongluck
The 808 toms have way too much reverb and I am missing some bottom end in the kick. The Vocals are too harsh and unpleasant, too much reverb as well. The chorusss sound too harsh and the balances are not thought through very well. No luck this time!

To sum it up, these are the participants for round two (alphabetical order):

@Alexvanmixland

@Blang

@diegonerysts *WILDCARD*

@dnlptn

@DodgingRain

@elroms

@FrequencyPainter

@JohnK

@loger

@Marv *WILDCARD*

@MFTWC

@NGGstudios

@PGPMixing

@S&F

@TomImmon
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC076 May 2021 - Mix Round 2 until 03-JUN-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

Thank you for handling the evaluation, @Christoph_K.

Ladies and gentlemen, let us kick off Mix Round 2, which will end on Thursday, 03-JUN-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

As of this moment, that is a bit more than 5 days. All Mix Round 2 participants will be sent a reminder via mail, as this has been the case for a couple of month now.

There is a GLOBAL COUNTDOWN available to check for deadlines.
Just follow this link: Global Countdown (on homepage)

The following 15 participants go into Round 2 (alphabetical order), with "wild-cards" being pointed out.
(all Mix Round 2 participants should have been pinged)

@Alex Van mixland
@Blang
@diegonerysts (wild card)
@dnlptn
@Dodgingrain
@elroms
@Frequency Painter
@JohnK
@loger
@Marv (wild card)
@MFTWC
@NGGstudios
@PGPMixing
@s&f
@TomImmon

! Bonus Info
Please take note of the "wild-card" game mechanic (test run until End of Q2/2021):
viewtopic.php?p=10333#p10333

Those that have been selected for a wild card, can further progress the game. However, by doing so you not only have address the requested changes, but also fix you slight mishap against the established Rules and Guidelines. Additionally, posting your Mix Round 2 entry means that you will agree to using a wild cards to progress, and your available amount will shrink by -1.

The feedback to the productions can be found here:
viewtopic.php?p=10611#p10611

If you are unsure what to do exactly with your mix, reach out to the song provider and engage in a conversation here on the forum.
And please keep the Rules and Guidelines in mind regarding submitting your entry.
elroms

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC076 May 2021 - Mix Round 2 until 03-JUN-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by elroms »

Thanks @Christoph_K for chosing my mix for round 2! Unfortunately I had to reinitialize my computer recently and forgot to back up this project file, so I won't be able to modify my entry...
Dodgingrain

Post by Dodgingrain »

@Christoph_K
Thanks for picking my mix! Its a great track and a lot of fun to mix.

Here's the next rev: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqpB-RLndYJrkM1rY5g ... g?e=D3JMUd

Here are my changes:
Maybe the drums, especially the kick should have more punch and be louder.
I tried to get more punch out of the kick without disrupting the balance to much. There is a little bit more compression and quite a bit more saturation along with a gate the control the length of the kick and try to get more punch. With the extra saturation I actually had to lower the level quite a bit. I also tweaked the level automation just a little bit to make the seperation between the intro and verse a bit more obvious. I also tweaked the snare eq just a little bit.
The lead vocals seem to be bit loud in the verses and I don’t like the short plate (or whatever that is), it sounds too cold.
I pulled the verse vocals down 2db and added a low mid freq eq to the vocal plate reverb send to try and make the plate warmer. I also turned down the ADT effect by 2 db that is on the chorus vocals.
The blip arp is a bit distracting, try to embed it in the track more.
I pulled down an eq peak by 2db, lowered the overall level by about 3db and used soothe to mellow out the track. It hopefully fits a lot better into the background now.
The Telefone sound is not bad, just a little bit too far away for my taste.
I raised the level of the track by 2db, widened out the eq just a hair, and lowered the reverb send by about 5 or 6db. Hopefully its more upfront and fits better.

Thanks!
Mixing, Mastering, Remixing Services
Two Cat Audio Labs, llc
https://www.twocataudiolabs.com
https://www.instagram.com/twocataudiolabs/
Dwic

Post by Dwic »

@Christoph_K

When I saw that you were reviewing all submissions I thought "well good, at least I'll get some feedback." And then... nothing.

Did you get my submission?