2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC067 March 2023 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
madmax

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC067 March 2023 - Submissions until 24-03-2023 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by madmax »

https://soundcloud.com/madmax-473626045 ... al_sharing
Hi, maybe is out of the rules, I'm sorry if is.
This is my first song, I'm starting now to learn how to record and mix in homestudio.
Please, I need some feedback, but please .............. be gently :shock:

Thanks Mister Fox

Instument- Casio Privia, Korg MS-20 mini, Roland VK-8, Arturia Microfreak and korg NTS-1, drum is a free sample, And Vital VST

My question was how to play minor chord using triton on melody.

I create bass line on c minor, four bars string (Cmin7 | Eb79 | Abmaj | G7#5 ) - This is the ostinato

I create some … colors just to learn how to mix ( for me) unusual sounds.

The melodies move from C minor to F#, with the support of fender Rhodes (Privia)

The harmony of fender is too complicated to explain, but simple to play

I think Is out of the rules because I used just four bars of ostinato harmony
And no :) is not my decision to let this sound :)), thanks, I try to separate instrument, thanks for feedback.
Last edited by madmax on Tue Mar 21, 2023 13:15 CET, edited 3 times in total.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC067 March 2023 - Submissions until 24-03-2023 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Mister Fox »

Please explain why you think this is "out of the rules", @madmax.

You've created something in the first place, so that is already a great starting point. However - have you used a Chord/Harmony tool as stated in post #002 or post #003? Can you maybe give us some more, other than "please, I need feedback"? As in... how did you create this, what instruments did you use, etc (please edit your post for that). Then one can talk about whether or not this is within this month's given rule set or not.

:arrow_right: Feedback wise:

The overall mix is a bit dull. Probably due to the decision to let this sound "lo-fi". I would invest more time in separating the instruments with proper filtering. Especially in the later section of this production. Other than that, the song feels a bit chaotic, with the channels battling against each other (left vs right), including the used rhythm sections. While this is an interesting concept, this might be a bit too avant-garde and I'd focus on having one steady beat, then fade elements in/out ever so often.

If your entry is not(!) for the Songwriting Competition, but you are rather after general feedback, you could try the Mix Challenge Discord server (if you are already on that server, and if it's still a WIP, then please post in #production-techniques and kindly ask for feedback). If your entry is indeed for SWC067 however -- I'm pretty sure others will chime in as well with additional feedback.
chaseracer

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC067 March 2023 - Submissions until 24-03-2023 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by chaseracer »

[withdrawn]
Last edited by chaseracer on Wed Mar 22, 2023 04:17 CET, edited 1 time in total.
JeroenZuiderwijk
Wild Card x2
Wild Card x2

Post by JeroenZuiderwijk »

chaseracer wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 05:05 CET

https://soundcloud.com/chaseracer-378481186/swc067_chaseracer_lifegoesby/s-TC0H8DheUNm?si=12e7d200afd4491faae30817ae7568c9

hiya—this is my first time participating, so please lmk if i missed required information somewhere or if you have questions/want more info on anything. i’m open to suggestions as well ‘cause i’m focused on improving. thanks! : )

song is “life goes by,” a soul/cha-cha-cha/hip hop hybrid

verse: [loop of] Bb Bb Eb5 F
chorus: Bb Bb C C Dm/F Cm/Eb Dm Cm Bb

Hi Chaceracer

I like this very much! Well done. It is a nice tune. I think if you let the vocal blend more with the music the mix would improve a lot. Maybe some reverb / delay. It sounds a bit dry. And have you considered a second vocal harmony? I think that would sound realy cool in this song.

Jeroen
Mellow Browne

Post by Mellow Browne »

Hello,

Here is my submission for this month.

I wanted to try something different so I decided to only use UAD Luna as DAW for production and mixing. I‘m a Logic user.

This time it’s an 80‘s style entry and it was very funny to produce it. I was just trying the drum sounds inside of Luna and I was catched by the first kit I selected, so this is the story behind the song.

I used Scaler 2 as chord generator.

C# dorian mode

I really liked that I III chord progression, it gives me that typical 80‘s vibe

Main theme is: I III = c#min9 emaj9

I knew I wanted a bridge so I checked a little deeper in scaler and came up with this:

Bridge part is: I III V IV I III V Vi

c#min9 emaj9 g#7(sus2) f#9 c#min9 emaj9 g#min9 a#min7

Tools I used:

DAW: Uad Luna

Chord Generator: Scaler2

Drums: Uad Shape
Bass + Bass Pluck: Wave Alchemy Bassynth
Jazzy and Electric Guitar: Kontakt
All other instruments from Arturia
Pad: jup-8
Arpp: arp 2600
Piano V2
Solina
Pluck and Game Boy Pluck: cs 80

Here is the link:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... -j4Ncb1bX2
OrpheusXL

Post by OrpheusXL »

This was really a hard work to find out, which chords I used for this song.
It has actually been created on guitar, then transfered to Midi already 3 years ago.

But as I have no idea about music theory, it took me some efforts to find out the chords. Well, here they are:

Bm,E57,Bm7 - Bm,E57,Bm7 - Bm,E57,Bm7 - Bm7,E57,Bm,Bm,E57 - Bm7,E57,Bm,D,Em7,Em -
Dm,C,Bb,F,G5,Bb,A7 - Dm,C,F,Bb,G7,A5,C#7.Em6/11 +repetitions

But don’t ask me for the Roman numbers!

Actually I have lyrics for this song but my singing is out of this world and no tuning will heal it. ;-P

If someone is interested to do the voice part, I would like to collaborate. There is alway a first time for everything. The text would fit for male and femal singer.

I still have problems to understand the rules for loudness. If anything is not correct (within the rules), I would appreciate some help (explanation) with this.

Song title: The Day When My Heart Broke
Available at soundcloud:
https://soundcloud.com/orpheusxl/the-da ... al_sharing
Last edited by OrpheusXL on Mon Mar 20, 2023 14:04 CET, edited 1 time in total.
JeroenZuiderwijk
Wild Card x2
Wild Card x2

OrpheusXL wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 00:26 CET
This was really a hard work to find out, which chords I used for this song.
It has actually been created on guitar, then transfered to Midi already 3 years ago.

But as I have no idea about music theory, it took me some efforts to find out the chords. Well, here they are:

Bm,E57,Bm7 - Bm,E57,Bm7 - Bm,E57,Bm7 - Bm7,E57,Bm,Bm,E57 - Bm7,E57,Bm,D,Em7,Em -
Dm,C,Bb,F,G5,Bb,A7 - Dm,C,F,Bb,G7,A5,C#7.Em6/11 +repetitions

But don’t ask me for the Roman numbers!

Actually I have lyrics for this song but my singing is out of this world and no tuning will heal it. ;-P

If someone is interested to do the voice part, I would like to collaborate. There is alway a first time for everything. The text would fit for male and femal singer.

I still have problems to understand the rules for loudness. If anything is not correct (within the rules), I would appreciate some help (explanation) with this.

Available at soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/orpheusxl/the_da ... eart_broke
Soundcloud says that the file couldn't be found. Something wrong?
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC067 March 2023 - Submissions until 24-03-2023 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Mister Fox »

Just a quick heads up for the last three entries:

Mellow Browne wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 22:40 CET
Here is the link:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... -j4Ncb1bX2
OrpheusXL wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 00:26 CET
Available at soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/orpheusxl/the_da ... eart_broke

All of these links are broken in some shape or form.

@chaseracer -- your link on Soundcloud is declared "Private" and not public. Therefore the forum player link doesn't work. It should be public.

@Mellow Browne -- unfortunately, nobody can give feedback to your entry, as nobody can access it (Google Drive link, requesting "sign-in" and "access request"). Please fix this

@OrpheusXL -- your SoundCloud link leads to a dead end. You've used "underlines" in the file-name ( _ ), but the actual working link from your SoundCloud account uses dashes ( - ). Therefore nobody can comment on your entry by going through this link alone.

All of you, please update your posts accordingly.

And for @OrpheusXL, please also explain your timeline of creation for this song a bit more. If it's really already 3 years old, or a re-imagination for SWC067.

Regarding "Loudness Specs":
For the Songwriting Competition -- as long as it does not exceed -14LUFS and -1,00 dBTP, you're getting all bonus points. There is no disqualification criteria.

Thank you. :headphones:

Friendly reminder:
Including today, 5 more days left for your entries. Please keep your posts maintained.
OrpheusXL

Post by OrpheusXL »

I've checked the soundcloud link and really could not find the file.
But it's there.

So I used the "copy link" function. Please try again:

If this works, I'll change the link also in my initial post (if I can edit it).

Thanks!
JeroenZuiderwijk
Wild Card x2
Wild Card x2

OrpheusXL wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 14:03 CET
I've checked the soundcloud link and really could not find the file.
But it's there.

So I used the "copy link" function. Please try again:

If this works, I'll change the link also in my initial post (if I can edit it).

Thanks!
This one works! Thank you for sharing. I hear a lot of different influences in your music. I like the idea. When I listen to your song I imagine how this would sound with a live band and a little bit more uptempo. Could even be ska i think. Well done!