2024-OCT-01 Info: We're celebrating 10 years of our small community, and our 100th Mix(ing) Challenge. Many games to participate in this month - please have a look.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC086 October 2024 - Submissions until 24-OCT-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
crispy

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC086 October 2024 - Submissions until 24-OCT-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by crispy »

R0boooo wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2024 10:01 CEST
Hello all,
just a few days left till the end of SWC086. Ive actually completed 5 of these and have never uploaded and submitted my ideas. Why, Im not sure, lol. Ive also completed this one and have been tweaking for over a week now. Guess im just a little scared of the comments or the issues I may be overlooking. But hey, thats how we get better right? Ill toss it around a day or two more and make a decision to upload.
I just wanted to throw this out there and see if Id get a, Just post the song or whats to loose, or Its just a song idea, go ahead and post it. lol.... Have a good one composers.
yo don't worry about comments man, this is a very friendly community! :hihi:

Just submit and then in case you can do some changes after some feedback :smile:
OlliH

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC086 October 2024 - Submissions until 24-OCT-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by OlliH »

My submission:
"My life from seed to vegetable"
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1flhklg ... sp=sharing

In my submission I try to tell the life story of a vegetable. It is also possible that it's a story about me. Hard to say. The original plan was to make this song much longer, but due to time constraints, I had to keep it short.

In any case, musically, this is an ever-changing story. The verses I use to describe the inner life of a plant don't repeat themselves. So obviously one of the challenges for me was to maintain the feeling that the end result is one cohesive piece and not just a bag of improvisational melody lines. I tried to solve this problem by gluing things together with a strong chord progression. (Expressed in key of Am: Am E7/G# A7/G Fm Edim B7/D# E7/D Am). It has a pretty strong natural color, it's a little lonely and sad, and it's sophisticated but still natural. So perfect for describing the inner life of a cabbage.

On those parts where I try to describe the surrounding world I switch to different chord progression. (Expressed in the key of F: Bb Am, Gm7 C7/G F). In this song I use these progressions in a couple of different keys.

I typically don't want to add explanations to the music because it should be able to do the work on its own. However, I found out pretty quickly that - unlike Vivaldi - I can't paint clear pictures of the seasons with sheet music. So, due to my musical shortcomings, I decided to add explanations. Here is what I tried to convey in the different parts of the song
► Show Spoiler

USE TOOLS
► Show Spoiler
What I learned: When an idea comes, you should be quick to produce a good enough version of it. If you start thinking too much about small nuances, the song will starve to death. I wonder how many good songs have died for nothing? In this case, I just had to post it now and see later how many little good ideas I managed to screw up in the overthinking this.
Elcubano

Post by Elcubano »

PonySho wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2024 01:18 CEST

A good deal of the 'twangy/edge' sound in your guitar is probably sitting around the 2.5kHz to 4kHz region. If you're still battling with this unwanted twang, then I suggest a multiband compressor that just works on this region to bring down those notes when they occur (vs a regular EQ that will potentially dull the entire guitar track with a reduction in this region). But hey, try both and see what works.
If you can tame this region, I think your track will sound A LOT more pleasant and minimise ear fatigue.

I ALWAYS struggle with this frequency range on many mix elements. 3.1 kHz is my most common frequency to reduce (in addition to the 200 - 300 Hz region).

BTW, you have a real talent for bringing out emotion in your music. That's what's really important here. Listening back to your track, those fast guitar arpeggios remind me of rain, but also the excitement of spring/summer with sunny days and vibrant bird life. So cool!
thanks for the tips, i tried to apply a multiband compressor on the frequency range, but i don't know if it's better or worse
I share a sample, the first is with the multiband compressor and the 2nd is without.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1D5GPVX ... drive_link
Ike H-mope

Post by Ike H-mope »

Elcubano wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2024 09:33 CEST
I composed an instrumental song on acoustic guitar in three parts to describe the cycle of the seasons, starting with nature's awakening,
followed by the period when nature reaches full maturity with the harvest of its fruits, and ending with its death.

Listening on a laptop speaker so can't comment on the production.

Really nice piece of music, and even without the "story", the feel of autumn and seasons is there musically. Hearing some 70s prog-rock vibes? And I think you're doing something with a lydian mode? Whatever it is, definitely adds to the pastoral feeling.
Elcubano

Post by Elcubano »

Ike H-mope wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2024 14:19 CEST
Listening on a laptop speaker so can't comment on the production.

Really nice piece of music, and even without the "story", the feel of autumn and seasons is there musically. Hearing some 70s prog-rock vibes? And I think you're doing something with a lydian mode? Whatever it is, definitely adds to the pastoral feeling.
Thank you!
I haven't analyzed what I've done :smile:
but I think it's true, in the second part I've alternated Lydian with major, it gives feelings to move from mystical and back to earth.