2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC019 March 2019 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
erictracks

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC019 March 2019 - Submissions until 24-03-2019 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by erictracks »

Hi it’s been a while.

My track is called ‘maybe it’s a good thing’. It’s a selfish title, because I know it wouldn’t actually be a good thing. I don’t support an internet blackout. But as a thought exercise I couldn’t help but consider how the internet has created this bizarre cauldron of reaction, hatred, and resentment, at least here in the US. Obviously our mind virus is spreading to the rest of the world. So maybe a blackout would stop the continuing spread of this virus. That’s why my track strikes optimistic tones at times.

I used several VIs and played my guitar on this. I couldn’t nail the epic sound I heard in my head, so this ended up sounding pretty much like anything else I make haha:

WAV:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wrf7scjn5a5pf ... g.wav?dl=0

MP3:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xrkugjzlbad1y ... g.mp3?dl=0
Los_ady

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC019 March 2019 - Submissions until 24-03-2019 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by Los_ady »

Hey everyone,

It’s the first time to post a song here and this idea is amazing ! I’m in haha

Master MP3: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ml2diq1bsk76t ... 0.mp3?dl=0

Master WAV: https://www.dropbox.com/s/n2470ukpf139e ... 0.wav?dl=0

And also on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/user-182870762/l ... -your-head

That is a nice challenge as music is the main communication for me, so I thought at first to mute the track for 3 min. and send it ;)

The situation Blackout - Communication Breakdown - reminds me of Chaos and Anarchy but not the negative side (everything burning :D ) rather the artistic, creative site, so a good comparison is a Circus for me as there is deep control in all what happened, in all what seems chaotic - and also a humor side because I think even without communication everything would work somehow, the beauty of losing control.

So I used my Arturia Mini Lab, Waves Elements Synth and some nice samples for the kick and snare for the main sound and did the song in Ableton

I resisted the guitar, even if it is my main instrument - So I used some Short, hectic melodies, arpeggios from the synth in the background, then pads to give a bit apocalyptic touch to simulate confusion and a monotone bassline for the lost ones - surprisingly it jump's over to a circus inspired melody.

Tonality, I tried to find a heavy Armageddon like mood with the Double Harmonic Minor Scale, but when I start to use scales I get bored and play around and this is what happens - I have no clue what happens there :D and like it - at the end I used notes that create a scale like this:

1 b2 ? (I use b3) b4 b5 6 ? (I use the 7) maybe someone knows that it is

Enjoy the track !!! It’s more artistic, free and improvised ! Let me know what you think !

Can't wait to hear your tracks :) All the best, Ady !!!
TrojakEW

Post by TrojakEW »

ANTHEMIC wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 02:53 CET
If by “post it here” you mean in this forum thread, then here goes nothin.
https://soundcloud.com/user-318157254/nde
Please enable download on your track or provide link for wav file. Thank you.
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

for this entry, i tried to make a sci-fi plot. So here it is.In not so distant future ,,maybe,, every
country will have one huge server. All people will be connected to it.It will provide all kind of services starting from medical
treatment ending to free time or leisure. All jobs will be present of course, but this server, an AI will have all
information of every person. According to person's actions it will determine if it should be connected or
to be banned for a short period of time as a warning, or in worst case permanently. In this story main character receives a warning
of being disconnected for three months. Of course tv,mobile phone, internet is down, because they only work on server conection.
Only things that actually work, remain musical instruments. So the story begins... PS: the usual telephone is just a tool for
emergency use, in this case is used for announcing the warning.

Apart from this fictional story here are the real instruments used for composition:
drums and percussion-drum instruments included in magix music maker;
synths, tv noise, phone beeping and all kind of fx- synapse audio dune;
phone voice-a tts voice speaking an invented text;

And the link to audio:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ablwzomm7q7o8 ... s.WAV?dl=0
Leonard Bowman

Post by Leonard Bowman »

While I'm not done in time for the contest, I'm going to finish my track. If I do so in a reasonable amount of time, may I still share it here? (under the clear notice that it is not a valid submission, etc.)
The topic was quite inspiring, and I had a lot of fun dreaming up ideas for it.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Sure - go for it. :phones:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC019 March 2019 - preparation phase

Post by Mister Fox »

It is the 25th March 2019, 1:20am GMT+1/CET - this month's Songwriting Competition has official ended

Hello and welcome to the new participants.

We had 13 participants, which is 0 entries more compared to last month (13 entries).
The "staff balancing vote" add-on rule does not apply
"Sole Winners Podium" rule (equal or less than seven participants results in a single winner) does not apply. (regular 3-position Winners Podium)

There were no productions submitted after the deadline.

:arrow: How do we go from there?

Over the course of the next (hopefully) 24-48 hours, I'll gather all links into one post and hot-link to that from the first post of the thread. So please, check your links again. Mistakes and hiccups do happen on the internet. We then perform with the "public vote" system.

We have 13 participants. That means that each participant can vote for 12 tracks, the staff will not cast a balance vote.

And since this has been a topic with the last SWC, let's try something new. As long as we're not exceeding 25 participants, let's give feedback to all participants and(!) cast your vote for all of them.

The Top 25 list (or in this case, top 12) can look something like this:
01 (12 pts) - Mr Moon
02 (11 pts) - Mr Sun
03 (10 pts) - Mrs Venus
04 (9 pts) - Mr Mars and his companions
05 (8 pts) - Mr Hale-Bopp
06 (7 pts) - The Rings of Saturn
07 (6 pts) - Mrs Gaia
08 (5 pts) - Cassini–Huygens
09 (4 pts) - Mr Pluto (I feel sorry for you)
10 (3 pts) - "Planet Nine"
11 (2 pts) - Alpha Centauri
12 (1 pts) - Proxima Centauri
How your voting could look like, please take a look at these posts (sans the technical information):
viewtopic.php?p=2311#p2311
viewtopic.php?p=2478#p2478
viewtopic.php?p=2819#p2819
viewtopic.php?p=3522#p3522

We're also trying a "hidden vote" system this month. This feature has already been implemented into the forum in the form of the spoiler tag. :idea:

Code: Select all

[spoil]
Position 1: participant C
Position 2: participant H
Position 3: participant B
Position 4: participant T
...[/spoil]
This would result in the following block of text:
► Show Spoiler

Please also take note of the Rules and Guidelines (on giving feedback (mandatory for all participants, failing to do so results in a disqualification). Keep in mind, we're trying something new this month, but the rules and guidelines still talk about "top 10" (I'll update the rules/guidelines for SWC020).

Feedback from non-participants is highly encouraged (voting not needed!). Musicians and Engineers are always after constructive criticism. This is what this forum is about.

If you have an idea for a theme/genre or want to see a specific theme tackled in the future, please voice your opinion here:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=168

If the future of the Songwriting Competition is >10 participants, then let's talk some more about changing the voting system to top amount-of-participants.

Please voice your feedback/opinion/concerns here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=97

Please have an eye on this thread! :tu:
Leonard Bowman

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC019 March 2019 - preparation phase

Post by Leonard Bowman »

My track is as done as it is going to get. not perfect, but that's fine by me. It's time to move on.
https://soundcloud.com/anotherbenjamin/post

Featuring the University of Iowa Musical Instrument Samples, the Korg Volca Keys, The Threshold impluse collection, destroyfx Skidder, illformed/dBlue glitch, and the avocado ducking glitch generator, along with a supporting cast of instruments and tools.

Again, this is not an entry, but my take on the theme.
Please enjoy.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC019 March 2019 - Voting until 01-04-2019 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

Let us kick off the VOTING PROCESS, which will end on Monday, 01-APR-2019 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST latest

There is a GLOBAL COUNTDOWN to check for deadlines.
Just follow this link: Global Countdown (on homepage)

Here is the collection of productions from all participants (in hope that I didn't forget anyone). As usual, if you click on the small upwards-arrow right beside the quoted name, you can jump to the original post and read up on the documentation for this production.

ANTHEMIC wrote:
"NDE"

TrojakEW wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:46 CET
"Restart"

J I L L I A M wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 19:27 CET
"A sad quiet Age / Only Wind is Howling"

The Exponent wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 19:36 CET
"Desolation"

Clueless wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 05:56 CET
"Dark Days"

toadhjo wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 05:45 CET
"Apocalypse Makes Perfect"

MP3
WAV
Dr Dendrite wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 06:01 CET
"Symphonic Protestant"

MarkS wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 17:36 CET
"Strange Things"

WAV: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ablwzomm7q7o8 ... s.WAV?dl=0

Please consult the last post of how your vote could look like (which links to more sources). Also keep in mind, we're trying something new this month. So please: feedback for everyone, and votes for everyone. Let's see how this goes. And to make it simple for me for counting the votes - please use the usernames in your listing. Thank you!

To make it easier on yourself, and more helpful for each participant, maybe focus on the overall production value. What you really liked with the song, what you'd like to see improved, etc.

SWC019 participants giving feedback to each other (to every participant) and casting your Top 12 vote is mandatory, else you will be disqualified.

Good luck to all participants! :tu:

BONUS ENTRY - submitted after the deadline:

Leonard submitted his entry after the deadline, so it's out of the competition (else, 14 entries - you folks are awesome). But it would be nice for him to get some feedback as well.
Leonard Bowman wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 03:36 CET
"Post"

Clueless

Post by Clueless »

TrojakEW wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 16:17 CET
ANTHEMIC wrote:
If by “post it here” you mean in this forum thread, then here goes nothin.
https://soundcloud.com/user-318157254/nde
Please enable download on your track or provide link for wav file. Thank you.
As far as I know its available?
Can someone confirm please :)