2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC037 September 2020 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC037 September 2020 - preparation phase

Post by Mister Fox »

It is the 25th August 2020, 0:45 UTC+2/CEST - this month's Songwriting Competition has official ended

Once more a very warm "hello and welcome" to all new participants. Always great to see new faces. Please enjoy your stay.

<the following paragraph will be updated by 3:00 UTC+2/CEST

We had 14 participants overall, which is 1 entries more compared to last month (13 entries), and 4 more compared to last year (10 entries). I still hope you like the new game mechanics. Although apologies that I couldn't get as involved as last month.

The "staff balancing vote" add-on rule does not apply
"Sole Winners Podium" rule (equal or less than seven participants results in a single winner) does not apply. (3-position Winners Podium)

There was no (number: 0) production submitted after the deadline
No (number: 0) entry has been disqualified
No (number: 0) entry has been redacted

:arrow: How do we go from there?

Over the course of the next (hopefully) 24-48 hours (in fact, for this month, the next 1,5 hours maximum), I'll gather all links into one post and hot-link to that from the first post of the thread. Please, no more changes to your entries, but please do check your links that they're downloadable. We then perform with the "public vote" system.

We have 14 participants. That means that each participant can vote for 13 tracks, the staff will will not cast a balance vote.

Keep the Rules and Guidelines in mind. As long as we're not exceeding 20 participants, let's give feedback to all participants and(!) cast your vote for all of them.

The Top 20 list can look something like this:
01 (13 pts) - Mr Moon
02 (12 pts) - Mr Sun
03 (11 pts) - Mrs Venus
04 (10 pts) - Mr Mars and his companions
05 (09 pts) - ...
06 (08 pts) - ...

How your voting could look like, please take a look at these posts (sans the super technical information):
viewtopic.php?p=2311#p2311
viewtopic.php?p=2478#p2478
viewtopic.php?p=2819#p2819
viewtopic.php?p=3522#p3522

Please cast your vote in collective form through the "spoiler text" bbcode:

Code: Select all

[spoil]01 participant
02 participant
03 participant[/spoil]
Please use the forum username of the participant to make it easier during the score collection to address what vote belongs to whom.

Please also take note of the Rules and Guidelines on giving feedback (mandatory for all participants, failing to do so results in a disqualification). Even if you already gave feedback prior to the deadline, please offer some final encouraging words, and maybe give some additional tips for improvements on the way.

Feedback from non-participants is highly encouraged (voting not needed!). The same goes for entries after the deadline, or those that do sadly not count for the current running game. Musicians and Engineers are always after constructive criticism. This is what this forum is about.

Have some general feedback? Please voice your feedback/opinion/concerns here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=97

Please have an eye on this thread! :tu:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC037 September 2020 - Voting until 01-OCT-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

Let us kick off the VOTING PROCESS, which will end on Thursday, 01-OCT-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST latest

There is a GLOBAL COUNTDOWN to check for deadlines.
Just follow this link: Global Countdown (on homepage)

Here is the collection of productions from all participants (in hope that I didn't forget anyone). As usual, if you click on the small upwards-arrow right beside the quoted name, you can jump to the original post and read up on the documentation for this production.

canese wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 20:44 CEST
"In sepia swell"

WAV: https://www.dropbox.com/s/huvq0bovustt6 ... e.wav?dl=0
Link to original post with documentation: viewtopic.php?p=8576#p8576

ADMIN INFO:
Soundcloud link to posted here, because it adds more content than submitted for the entry. Not only that, please do not multi-post in the future, as your entries get confusing this way.
Square wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 06:40 CEST
"Finding my Footing"

WAV: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hFcDne ... sp=sharing

ADMIN INFO:
Please do not multi-post in the future, as your entries get confusing this way.
Double Tap wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:48 CEST
"Pugin Boutique"

Olli H wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 19:00 CEST
"Lo-Fi Feeling"

WAV: https://drive.google.com/file/d/19xUYgb ... sp=sharing
becsei_gyorgy wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:36 CEST
Faces Of Love

TrojakEW wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 18:30 CEST
"Lone Wanderer"

gruskada wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 01:47 CEST
"Time to Love"

Shea wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 02:17 CEST
"My Lofi Sky"

WAV: https://www.dropbox.com/s/56ulb5nzk1qxv ... y.wav?dl=0
functionform wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 09:44 CEST
"This Too Shall Pass"

Blang wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:24 CEST
"Gloomy"

WAV: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oU0HC2 ... sp=sharing
GMoneh wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 17:48 CEST
"Anxiety"

ADMIN INFO:
Soundcloud username is not the same as forum username - but the download is properly named - please keep that in mind, everyone.
Leonard Bowman wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 18:34 CEST
"Good Morning Dust"

ADMIN INFO:
Soundcloud username is not the same as forum username - but the download is properly named - please keep that in mind, everyone.

NOTE: participant @Mxofunk couldn't be added to the pool, no valid links provided. Therefore this entry sadly doesn't count to the statistics.

BONUS ENTRIES (submitted after the deadline - you can not vote for it, but feel free to give feedback)

<no bonus entries available>

Please consult the last post of how your vote could look like (which links to more sources). And to make it simple for me for counting the votes - please use the forum usernames in your listing. Thank you!

SWC037 participants giving feedback to each other (to every participant) and casting your vote is mandatory, else you will be disqualified. Please also keep the bonus point game mechanic in mind.

Good luck to all participants! :tu:
Olli H

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC037 September 2020- Voting until 01-OCT-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Olli H »

Now it's time for this unjust process again. As always I want to be open and transparent with my points-system. This month I decided to give points 0-10 in three categories.

1. Melody / Riff
I didn't expect a lo-fi Hip-Hop to have any kind of melody, so catchy repetitive riff was good enough to me.

2. Groove
I expected the groove to be suitably smooth with modern feeling. It's ok for me if nothing special happens in it as long as it supports the song and melody/riff nicely.

3. Lo-fi effects.
To me the essential part of "Lo Fi Hip Hop" was playful and modern way used lo-fi effects.
So an old scratchy relaxed phonograph record is not "Lo Fi Hip Hop" (to me).
Relaxed Hi Fi recording with added vinyl effects doesn't make a "Lo Fi Hip Hop" (to me).
So I was expecting some sort of playfulness with the use of lo-fi effects.

In those cases contestants got same points, I checked the points from lo-fi-category.

SWC037-In sepia swell-canese.wav

Melody / Riff 7
I like the jazzy guitar lines. My favorite is the b-part (0:41-). The melody line is one of the best, but the arrangement makes the overall feel is a bit hasty. THere's happening too many things at the same time. I might try to mix it with one main guitar with occasional support from other guitars Now it's more like a constant competition.

Groove 7
The Groove drums and bass is pretty good to my ears.

Lo-Fi 7
Sound of the drums and bass certainly has a lo-fi elements. But hasty feel created by many guitars distracts this from relaxed feeling.

Overall
This starts very promising, it has great ideas, but for some reason it doesn't come together yet, at least to me.

==============

SWC037_TrojakEW_Lone.wav

Melody / Riff 7
I like the fact that you used quite many dissonant chord/bass combination. And I like the idea that you keep holding that one note through the chord progression. But at the same time I don't like it. I get a feeling that there's almost all the time a tension state that's not properly solving to a harmonious chord. To me it feels there's often low-end notes that feel a bit erroneous.
Melody lines played with piano's high notes with sparse accompaniment is my favorite part (1.27-2.47). That part is not so crowded, so the beauty of melody line comes better through.

Groove 9
Works very well, nothing to complain. Except the distorted clap/snare sound feels too digital in otherwise so analog soundscape.

Lo-Fi 4
It's skillful relaxed hi-fi song, where I don't find any "lo-fi hip hop" elements.

Overall
Overall production and sound are very professional to me.
Well, the fly was out of tune, but you killed it quite soon.
Had it not been "lo fi hip hop" competition, this would have scored much better in my ranking.

==============

SWC037_Shea_MyLofiSky.wav

Melody / Riff 7
Lots of pretty nice melody lines, but maybe the main melody or riff is not that strong. But at the same time it suits perfectly as lo-fi-song. Nice small developments in the main theme.

Groove 7
In those places where there are no kick and bass (intro, middle part), the groove feels a bit weird. As if you had muted something essential. But when the kick and bass join, the groove works very fine to me. I like those shaker fills.

Lo-Fi 8
Very strong lo-fi feeling created by sound and background samples.
I like that warping effect in piano chords.

Overall
Nice use of delay effects.

==============

SWC037_MellowBrowne_LikeAFriend.wav

Melody / Riff 9
As a song, this one is my top favorite. I have no problems in listening it several times in a row.

Groove 9
Works very well. I like the minimalistic approach. Very cleverly done. Just couple of instruments, simple moves and changes in right places.

Lo-Fi 7
From the point of view of music and sound, all the lo fi elements are there.
Drum sound is suitable for lo-fi feeling.
Had it been instrumental, I would have given full points for "lo-fi-ness". But I have difficulties in putting this fully to "lo-fi hip hop" -genre, maybe because there's so strong focus in human voice that demands constant attention from the listener. It would be quite difficult to study Edmund Husserl while listening this.

Overall
I think the vocal part works very, very well.

==============

SWC037_LeonardBowman_good_morning_dust.wav

Melody / Riff 8
Bass lines are clever. I found my self listening bass, instead of other riffs, that are quite repetitive.

Groove 9
Great idea to let the brushes be played by mr Miele. It works very nicely. I like how the focus of the groove changes from player to another, but still having a coherent feeling all through the song.
Those snare hits sound very nice.

Lo-Fi 8
Certainly very relaxed feeling. There were some nice ambience samples, but otherwise I didn't find typical lo fi elements and tricks in it. Musically it has a strong lo fi feeling.

Overall
For some reason this has a strong "Christmas time after the eve" feeling.

==============

SWC037_gruskada_TimeToLive.wav

Melody / Riff 8
Tasty guitar lines with nice space. I love that stuff.

On the other hand the piano feels too repetitive and robotic. The good old "Hill Street Blues Theme" might give some ideas how to add small tricks to piano track while still keeping it simple and repetitive.

I like the fact focus place is clear all through the song.
I wonder if the sax sound's a bit midi.

Groove 8
Playing and sound of the drums feel fine to me, but the snare in the left without balancing element on the right side makes the groove feel a bit unbalanced.
That (Fender?) bass sound is excellent.

Lo-Fi 6
Melodically and arrangement wise a strong lo-fi feeling.
Nice relaxed song but I didn't find playful "lo fi" -tricks in it.

Overall
I like simplicity of this. Clever nice song.

==============

SWC037_GMoneh_Anxiety.mp3

Melody / Riff 8
The basic riff is good, although quite repetitive. I like how the small change comes 0.28. Cool relaxed part around 1.17 - 2.40. Piano part in the end contains many nice elements.

Groove 5
Something bothers me with the kick sound, it feels too processed. It doesn't make a pair with the snare.
Also the hi-hat closing effect feels too repetitive to me. It could be less of them in well chosen places.
As a bass is "stringy" synth without attack, it doesn't contribute so much to groove. On the other it would be perfect for some Leonard Cohen stuff.

Lo-Fi 6
Relaxed song but I think it doesn't have playful "lo fi" -tricks in it.

Overall
Nice use of delay effects.
You have a very nice melody line, that has a potential to be bigger than your current version. If you fix the groove and manage to make slightly better mix, the melody line surely would start to shine better.

==============

SWC037_functionform_This Too Shall Pass.wav

Melody / Riff 8
Not much melody line.
The main riff repeats too much, but overall feeling created by it is very effective and lo fi.
Nice guitar part in the end. I was surprised that I liked so much so repetitive and so "boring" song. Well done.

Groove 9
Not much happening on the groove side, but what there is, it does the job perfectly. So it doesn't need anything else. Kick and snare go together very well.

Lo-Fi 10
Full of lo-fi-ness in it, maybe created with side-chaining music with kick. I like those quick kick lines that almost mute the music.

Overall
Nice delay effects.
Smartly created small song

==============

SWC037_Double Tap_Pugin Boutique.wav

Melody / Riff 8
Nice relaxed melody line, it's quite hypnotic.

Groove 5
In the opening part the groove is not optimal yet. It feels to me as if there's two one-handed snare players: on the right one with brushing effect, on the left one with a basic hit. Also it feels as if there are two hi-hat players, one on the right side playing closed hi-hat, one on the left side playing the closing effect. 0.55 onwards it feels much better.

Lo-Fi 7
Lo fi feeling is quite a strong arrangement-wise, but I miss small lo fi tricks. Cricket sample behind is maybe too static. It could have more automation here and there.

Overall
I enjoyed all the instruments and small details that you’ve created. And those small reversed effects and tremolos were nice. Overall feeling is very relaxed. Especially when the bass comes in 0.42 and ties everything together. I really like that bass sound. Basic riff repeats maybe too much but 1.45 comes nice change.

==============

SWC037_Blang_Gloomy.wav

Melody / Riff 8
The basic riff is very lo-fi. It works fine.
But that low-pitched vocal on the right side disturbs me. It's there very low but still I try to hear what it says. So it demands attention, but still cannot be heard.

Groove 8
Generally speaking the groove works very nicely and smoothly to me. But here and there is some weird sounds, as if metronome is clicking behind or something.
Bass kick separation could be better. Maybe some boost to bass around 1-1.5K to add some articulation details to it.
As if the level of delay in snare is changing, or is it those finger snap sounds that bother me a bit.

Lo-Fi 8
Very lo-fi feeling soundwise, enhanced with those sudden small mutes.

Overall
I like the fact that this was done with real instruments. It gives some bonus human feeling to it.
Overall energy balance is maybe a bit too much on sub-energy levels.

==============

SWC037_becsei_gyorgy_Faces_of_love.wav

Melody / Riff 10
Great melody line. I like the chord progression. I might steal it to next competition. This is a full song with a well thought structure. You surely have skills in beautiful and haunting melody lines.

Groove 8
Drum-snare-bass background riff is good. It serves and supports the melody line very well. But as it is quite strong, I'd love to hear more some micro level nuances. For example around 0.55 there could have been some small changes, maybe something new with hi-hats.

Lo-Fi 6
Very "lo fi" surely, but it doesn't feel like a "lo-fi hip hop" to me. It feels as if the lo-fi-ness is later added on to otherwise ready song, as if the lo-fi-effects were not the part of creative process. Now there's a pretty constant vinyl effect, but no playful lo-fi tricks. I'm quite sure I would have preferred the lo-fi-less version of this song.

Overall
Certainly great stuff.

==============

SWC037_-_VCA-089_-_I'm_Okay.wav

Melody / Riff 8
Cool main bass riff
Around 1:09 the song disappears. As if it's some sort of rehearsal part. But when the bass comes back, the song is back there immediately.

Groove 8
The groove is good and well done. Bass riff and drums go together very well. I especially like the hi-hat part.
Kick sound bothers me when it comes in at 0.14. It doesn't feel like a good pair to that roomy snare.

Lo-Fi 7
The silent intro and the middle part are very lo-fi. But for some reason I don't get so "lo fi hip hop" out of this otherwise. It's more like relaxed pop-jazz-tune to me. And very good as such.

Overall
Hypnotic, I can listen to it many times without getting bored.
Best part when riff starts again with a piano in a new key.

==============

(Square) Finding my Footing4.wav

Melody / Riff 9
First part. Melody line is very cool, but maybe a bit too repetitive.
Second part. Very cool sneaking riff. But it feels as if the ambience is out of tune. Also, as if there's a heavy compression with the ambience.
Both parts are very expressive, they produce a lot of old-time cartoon movie images in me.

Groove 5
Snare sound spoils the groove. The hit feels too long. Maybe tighten a bit those snares? Now the groove feels a bit dragging.

Lo-Fi 6
Lo fi effects surely, but more as a static glue. Not so much playful lo-fi-tricks.

Overall
Two superb mini-songs in one short song. To me they don't create one song. But they would work perfectly as part of sound track to some cartoon movie. You could surely make a carrier as a soundtrack writer.

► Show Spoiler
becsei_gyorgy

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC037 September 2020- Voting until 01-OCT-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by becsei_gyorgy »

It was very difficult to decide, as always :smile: .
1-2 songs stand out very high from the others, while there are really only small differences between the others.
I may be strict, but I thought I would find a lot more good songs that fit in the genre. In many places, not only was lo-fi missing, but unfortunately hip-hop as well. I’m also a little more critical in the feedback but I hope you are not angry with the scoring, there were really small differences between most of the songs.

:arrow: Canese - In sepia swell
From the beginning creates a good atmosphere, real chill music.
Nice melody line but it becomes very repetitive. The structure of the song would be better.
A bit more like a hook with a good idea, but not a whole song yet. This is also shown by its brevity.
But what's done sounds good, I like the guitar, the bass, the background atmosphere - it is well put together.
It ends abruptly, unexpectedly.
It's a little over -14LUFS.

:arrow: Square - Finding my Footing
I listened to it a few times and I don't really know yet how this fits into the genre.
I think it's not hip-hop and I wouldn’t even say chill music in particular.
But an interesting and nice experiment.
And I feel like we hear 2 songs put together. The second part is more interesting to me, just a little short. This should have been further developed because I see more excitement and opportunity in it than in the first part.

:arrow: Double Tap - Pugin Boutique
Pleasant, calm music. I like the bass to come in at 0:42. The start is well structured.
Maybe I would put a little more filters on the sound of the piano for a better lo-fi sound (the same for organic drum sounds).
Overall I liked, it's a good song.
-12,9LUFS, 0,5 dBTP.

:arrow: OlliH - Lo-Fi-Feeling
Interesting start. I liked how the drums starts and the stutter effect.
A bit too much reverb on the snare I think, but the song is perfectly fine.
Overall, I like the mood.

:arrow: MellowBrowne - LikeAFriend
Surprising start, a bit industrial feel, unfortunately it almost accompanies the song (already if we want it to be a lo-fi hip-hop track)
But apart from that, it’s an interesting song, nicely developed until the end.

:arrow: TrojakEW - Lone
Nice effects at the beginning. i like the poor bee (fly?). :smile:
There is a soundtrack feeling as usual (a bit Morricone with that trumpet and melody line :) - more a western movie style than others (piano, trumpet, bee (fly?), woods).
Mix is clean and flat (I'm not sure that this is a good point in this month), the song is good and I’m not telling you a big secret that it’s completely my taste - It's would just to be little closer to hip-hop... or further away from the western soundtrack style.
I really like the song.

:arrow: Gruskada - TimeToLive
Nice chill downtempo music. Good starting.
Overall it's a bit "clean" and "harsh" for me. More lo-fi feel would be nicer. But the song is totally okay.

:arrow: Shea - MyLofiSky
Perfect start, nice mood, nice development.
I like the distorted lo-fi drum sounds. There is as much of everything you need for such a song.
Good (classical) instrument chioces for this genre, nice background elements.
Mix: after the intro the spectrum is a bit wide, maybe I would push it more in the middle for a real lo-fi mood - but that's only my taste.
-12,8 LUFS, 0,3 dBTP

:arrow: functionform - This Too Shall Pass
Interesting atmosphere, the song starts very well, but after the intro the song became very repetitive. A few stutter effects, but it's a bit few to maintain interest, I think. You must develop the song a little more, maybe there was little time. When the guitar comes in at the end is the best part.
The mix is good, professional, but very loud song.
-9,2 LUFS !!!, 0,4 dBTP

:arrow: Blang - Gloomy
Interesting chill mood. The snare sound is not my favourite. Interesting vocal elements :)
Too dominant low-end, the middle is a bit weak. Gives a bit dark feeling, but... after all, it's pretty good for the song.
The drums, the groove is a little further from hip-hop, it sounds a little strange to me.

:arrow: GMoneh - Anxiety
Surprising ("into the middle") start. Very loud, clean piano.
The song has very nice parts and elements, but sometimes put together a little inconsistently.
It would be a good song, but my feeling is that it was put together from many different elements, it doesn’t form a whole, neither the sounds nor the arrangement. Missing the same space. There is no clean development.
The main melody line is nice to me but too familiar, it should have varied a bit.
Strangely break the groove, the rhythm e.g. at 2:00, 2:21.
Missing hip-hop and lo-fi. Sorry for the many criticisms but it could be a really good song after some parts are fixed.

:arrow: LeonardBowman - Good morning dust
I listened to the songs in a row and it was the penultimate in the list. Sorry from everyone, but after listening 11 song, for the first time, I sighed a bit - finally a song that absolutely should be in this (lo-fi hip-hop) competition :)
Very nice lo-fi sounds, great piano at the beginning. Nice instrument choices, good, chill mood. I really like the rhythmic noise element.
I watched a lot of tutorials about this genre and one thing was common: the mixing rules. It was said in each tutorial that there is only one mixing rule in this genre: that there is no mixing rule :).
Though I feel what we hear in this song that's perfect for the genre.
Overall I liked very much.

:arrow: VCA-089 - I'm Okay
Good start. A bit jazzy mood, nice instrument choices.
Drums: sometimes very sharp, loud snares. I would change or filter it.
-13,1 LUFS, 0.1 dBTP

► Show Spoiler
VCA-089

Post by VCA-089 »

I added more download options (finally). Please update the info post...
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Song Collection Post has been updated with additional download options (thank you, @VCA-089)
Square

Post by Square »

Hi everyone, just a quick heads up that i should have the time tomorrow to finish listening to all tracks and uploading some feedback. From a competition standpoint, the system is odd, but from a development standpoint, its quite helpful and a nice system of feedback, even if it can be a bit uncomfortable judging others work and yours being judged, the benifit of multiple opinions is quite nice and helpful imo - tho another way of displaying the comments until after the scores are tallied, or maybe just a deadline date when they are all released simultaneously could potentially be a bit better if its easily done :phones:
TrojakEW

Post by TrojakEW »

I not expert in genres and styles of music but all tracks have passed (mostly) my basic list of three things that I think are important (for me) in lofi hiphop. Emotion, beat and lofi sound.

As always I included some basic statistics for all tracks to compare.

---------------------------------------
canese - In sepia swell

Very like the mood of track. Simple but nice tune. That guitar solo at beginning is cool. I wish there vere some bigger breaks, changes in track. Now it have only intro, main part and end. Looks like you do not render proper ending since it is cut off.

I know that this should be lofi but using only low pass to remove high frequencies is not enough because it only unbalance the mix. It looks like you use maybe 12db lowpass at around 6K that remove lot of stuff and make track sounds more muffled then lofi. Looks like added noise is low passed too. This also create some unpleasant resonance on guitar. I'm sure the tape and other old equipment can sound better regarding higher frequencies. There is also peak at 100Hz that also create bit of resonance but it still do not add power to low frequencies.

Statistics:
Max momentary loudness -10,6 LUFS
Max short-term loudness -12,3 LUFS
Integrated loudness -13,6 LUFS
Loudness range 3,6 LU
True peak L -2.52dB
True peak R -2.32dB
DC offset L 0% (-130.5dB)
DC offset R 0% (-138.8dB)

Square - Finding my Footing (not named properly)

As I said before interesting and weird (in good way) track. It creates very different mood. This weird mood is also thanks to sounds used. That wacky bass is cool. Good change at 1:30. Drum beat is not much on hip hop side but it fits the track nicely.

Track sound kind of lofi. There is also some stage here but I like to hear bit better placing of instrument. I can only hear wide or narrow sounds and some artificial pseudo stereo moving with delays or automation on panning. Looks like not much people using normal static panning these days. Positioning instrument on left or right side sometime create bigger stage without making any problems regarding mono playback.

Statistics:
Max momentary loudness -12,0 LUFS
Max short-term loudness -13,2 LUFS
Integrated loudness -15,0 LUFS
Loudness range 9,9 LU
True peak L -1.12dB
True peak R -1.02dB
DC offset L 0% (-157.3dB)
DC offset R 0% (-155.5dB)
Double Tap - Pugin Boutique

Nice mood and I like the choice of instruments. I also kike the drumkit except that kick. It sound to synthy compared to rest. Reversed sounds add nice additional layer of atmosphere. Additional break somewhere in middle in the style of intro or outro could create more tension and variety.

Mix sounds balanced and there is nice wide stage. Yes it is wide but same time the is problem with placing. Looks like there are three pianos at stage. One placed on left on on right and one in middle of stage. So piano is going from everywhere and this kind of ruining the stage. Also hihats coming form right and shaker from left while rest of drum kit is centered. It just doesn't add realistic feel of stage.

Statistics:
Max momentary loudness -9,2 LUFS
Max short-term loudness -10,3 LUFS
Integrated loudness -12,9 LUFS
Loudness range 11,4 LU
True peak L +0.02dB (3 samples clipped)
True peak R +0.54dB (12 samples clipped)
DC offset L -0.002% (-95.0dB)
DC offset R -0.004% (-88.4dB)
Olli H - Lo-Fi Feeling

The mood of track is well hard to say it reminds me of funeral. Even performance support it. Piano performance is very synthy and un-organic almost like made with some ai composition system. That epiano is a lot of better regarding performance and even mix. Some emotions are there but that piano performance ruin it. It simply sounds cold and lifeless - hence funeral.

Piano have very unpleasant resonance and it is worst thing in this track. That reversed sound have some phasing problems but it is audible in mono mix. Kick and hihat is dry while snare sounds that is coming from different room making the feel of stage very artificial.

Statistics:
Max momentary loudness -7,1 LUFS
Max short-term loudness -10,4 LUFS
Integrated loudness -14,6 LUFS
Loudness range 7,3 LU
True peak L -1.38dB
True peak R -1.38dB
DC offset L 0.000% (-115.6dB)
DC offset R -0.001% (-102.4dB)
becsei_gyorgy - Faces Of Love

I like overall mood and choice of instruments. Sometimes there is happening too much but I still like it. I will placed that viola more on left in mid part when there is that speaking starting at 2:00.

Mix is not bad. It have lofi feel while still do not sound muffled. Nice stage except few parts like that viola positioning. It just make that almost all sounds are coming from center or right. Maybe adjusting room for drumkit will improve it since it sounds very dry compared to the rest of the track

Statistics:
Max momentary loudness -10,4 LUFS
Max short-term loudness -12,3 LUFS
Integrated loudness -14,2 LUFS
Loudness range 4,6 LU
True peak L -1.45dB
True peak R -1.57dB
DC offset L -0.059% (-64.6dB)
DC offset R -0.059% (-64.5dB)
Mellow Browne - Like a friend

Simple but great. Hypnotizing beat. Sometimes less is more. I like it.

Mix sound good. Yea I know that drums have bigger reverb then rest but in this track it sound good. Lofi sound enabled, yet still sound good. There is minor phasing issues on vocals starting at 1:41. It sound there is some stereo delay applied in decay phase that make this phase less audible in mono mix. But nothing serious.

Statistics:
Max momentary loudness -10,9 LUFS
Max short-term loudness -12,7 LUFS
Integrated loudness -15,3 LUFS
Loudness range 11,4 LU
True peak L -1.21dB
True peak R -1.21dB
DC offset L +0.000% (-113.7dB)
DC offset R +0.000% (-113.6dB)
gruskada - Time to Love

Now I ussually really like your work but this track sounds it was made in hurry or it really doesn't fit your style. Not saying it is bad but not good enough from you. Drum pattern but also chosen kit (sounds) doesn't fit atmosphere. There are some nice parts here and there but regarding composition as whole it is kind of broken.

Kick have some serious problems regarding mono compatibility. It almost hard left but with some sort of delay that cause problems not to mention it makes track sounds hollow this way. Other instruments trying to add some better stage but that kick break it.

Statistics:
Max momentary loudness -9,1 LUFS
Max short-term loudness -10,8 LUFS
Integrated loudness -14,1 LUFS
Loudness range 9,6 LU
True peak L -1.11dB
True peak R -1.11dB
DC offset L +0.012% (-78.5dB)
DC offset R +0.013% (-77.6dB)
Shea - My Lofi Sky

Cool beat. Nice sounds and good choice of instruments. That is My Loofi sky too :) My favorite for sure. Sorry I'm not writing more about it but shh I'm just listening.

Mix sounds good. Stage is great. Very good only you need to watch for true peaks and loudness bit more.

Statistics:
Max momentary loudness -7,1 LUFS
Max short-term loudness -8,7 LUFS
Integrated loudness -12,8 LUFS
Loudness range 8,4 LU
True peak L +0.28dB (49 samples clipped)
True peak R +0.24dB (43 samples clipped)
DC offset L +0.002% (-93.5dB)
DC offset R +0.002% (-94.7dB)
functionform - This Too Shall Pass

Great stuff. Like beat and mood and also sounds. Simple but cool. Do really like simplicity in this track. This track and beat make my head bobbing in rhythm.

Mix, good but too loud. Also some clipping there. Too bad otherwise you will be number 1.

Statistics:
Max momentary loudness -6,0 LUFS
Max short-term loudness -7,3 LUFS
Integrated loudness -9,1 LUFS
Loudness range 5,8 LU
True peak L +0.40dB (24 samples clipped)
True peak R +0.29dB (37 samples clipped)
DC offset L +0.021% (-73.7dB)
DC offset R +0.020% (-73.8dB)
Blang - Gloomy

Great jazzy feel. In some part piano doesn't match the beat rhythm. Not sure if this is on purpose but for me it is too much. That solo guitar is disappearing in main rhythm. Wish it will be louder since it sounds good. Good track but that lead part should take lead.

Mix is not bad. Stage is there and I'm again back at lead levels. Why you hide it behind the rest of the track?

Statistics:
Max momentary loudness -10,5 LUFS
Max short-term loudness -13,6 LUFS
Integrated loudness -15,4 LUFS
Loudness range 2,9 LU
True peak L -0.27dB
True peak R -0.27dB
DC offset L -0.076% (-62.4dB)
DC offset R -0.074% (-62.6dB)
GMoneh - Anxiety

Track have some nice ideas but ... What is that start? It just start out of nowhere. Chosen drumkit sounds weird. There is no kick it sounds almost like just klick. No power to drive rhythm. I like the piano in last part.

Now piano have some phasing issues. Not serius but correlation meter jump up and down. There also some resonance eon this piano that make it sound unpleasant. Stage is there but missing some lofi sound. Mix sounds more clutter and compressed then lofi. Watch the true peaks and your limiter settings.

Statistics:
Max momentary loudness -11,8 LUFS
Max short-term loudness -12,6 LUFS
Integrated loudness -13,9 LUFS
Loudness range 2,0 LU
True peak L +0.03dB (4 samples clipped)
True peak R +0.06dB (6 samples clipped)
DC offset L +0.080% (-62.0dB)
DC offset R +0.098% (-60.2dB)
Leonard Bowman - Good Morning Dust

Aother track with nice jazzy feel. It have really live feeling. Nice composition and good choice of sounds/instruments. Interesting and good change at 2:07. Good work.

Mix sound good. Stage is narrow but it fits the mood here so it is not bad thing here. Mix itself gives the track that nice mood. Only that those tonal persecution there (marimba or something) have bit unpleasant resonance.

Statistics:
Max momentary loudness -7,5 LUFS
Max short-term loudness -10,6 LUFS
Integrated loudness -14,9 LUFS
Loudness range 8,7 LU
True peak L -0.83dB
True peak R -0.74dB
DC offset L +0.001% (-99.6dB)
DC offset R +0.001% (-99.3dB)
VCA-089 - I'm okay

This is kind of synthwave lofi hip hop especially because of that analog sounding drumkit with that bassline. Added piano was nice idea but the performance starting 1:36 is lacking more dynamics. It sounds that piano is played whole time fff or max dynamics you have on your instrument. For slower passage I would like to hear softer play like that at the beginning of that part and alternating with high dynamics in more intense or bit faster passages.

Mix is not bad and there is also some stage but that crash cymbal together with hihats is too loud and harsh. It break level balance of the whole drumkit but also whole track. Also looks like you have set limiter to 0dB.

Statistics:
Max momentary loudness -8,4 LUFS
Max short-term loudness -9,9 LUFS
Integrated loudness -13,1 LUFS
Loudness range 9,6 LU
True peak L +0.09dB (1 sample clipped)
True peak R 0.00dB
DC offset L +0.000% (-108.2dB)
DC offset R +0.000% (-106.4dB)
Now voting. Really hard to decide the positions. It was hard especially first 5 places.
► Show Spoiler
Double Tap

Post by Double Tap »

I was slightly sceptical about lofi hiphop to start with but I’ve warmed to it. The brief was to create a Lofi hiphop or Chillhop track – relaxation music or music for learning, particularly for an audience that might be struggling with mental health issues.

Mister Fox said:
“The overall concept is to relax, chill out, put your mind off of things. If you listen to various examples from all over the internet, you will hear fairly simplistic chord progressions, a lot of piano and/or acoustic guitars, sometimes even clean electric guitars and barely any vocals or voice samples. I've heard a lot of bpm variations, but most of them are between 60 to 90bpm (half-time).

"Lo-fi Hip Hop" can sound "wobbly" and "worn out" in places (as if run from old tapes and/or a VHS), but the overall package is still quite modern and "hi-fi" sounding. It is not(!) "Vaporwave" though, where there is more focus on synths and pads, glitching and worn out VHS tapes. These genres are a so called "micro-genre". People will interpret them as they seem fit. So you have to go by your gut instinct - perfect for this month IMO.”
So my criteria are:
  • Would it seem like something I'd hear on Chilled Cow? If not, does still have a chilled vibe?
  • Does it help me relax?
  • Is it good on its own merits? Even if it's not bang on what I perceive as lofi hiphop, is it still just a good track?
  • Is it put together well?
For me there were loads of great tracks this month, but I felt that quite a few didn’t quite meet the brief, to be laid back and relaxing and particularly to appeal to someone who maybe had some mental health issues who wanted to switch off and escape their problems.

Canese – In Sepia Swell
I think it had all the right elements. Lovely guitar jangling and some wobbles in the background, and a lovely sense of space. I would have liked it to be even more laid back but it worked as a track for me. I’m not good enough to be able to spot technical issues in the mix but it did feel slightly crowded in the mix.

Square – Finding My Footing
I like the dub bit, and I like some of the sounds. From a scoring point of view, they feel to me to be a bit far from the competition brief, but I think the ideas are interesting and I’d like to hear more.

Olli H – Lofi feeling
I think from a sound design / selection perspective, it’s spot on. You’ve got the wobble, the reversing, the piano and the space going on. I think from the point of view of meeting the brief though, it’s challenging rather than relaxing or calming. It’s a piece of music I like and can hear in lots of contexts though so definitely works as something that’s good on its own merits and is well constructed.

Gyorgy Becsei – Faces of Love
Another good track – the brassy synth sounds puts me in mind of a Western, horses riding off into the desert and all that. The development of the track makes me want to pay attention to it, rather than put me in a bit of a trance.

Mellow Browne – Like a friend
Great production, great musical qualities and all well executed. The guitar sound in particular was really enjoyable and the vocals were great.

TrojakEW – Lone Wanderer
So it starts with an edge and develops into something a bit more relaxing. It feels like I’m still searching for that chilled sound though. The swelling pads are delightful and I like the pizzicato strings a lot. It’s technically excellent as I’d expect.

Gruskada – Time to Love
The rapid pan on the drums is a bit distracting. The guitar is very on point though – perhaps a bit too far forward in the mix compared with the other sounds, but quite close to the brief. The second half with the synth melody is a bit too out of time for me to set aside. It’s nice but runs a bit too far ahead of the beat.

Shea – My LofiSky
This works in a Chilled Cow mix for me – great intro, a theme that develops and has most of the elements that I’d hope to hear. It would be improved by being smoother – rhythmically it feels a little jerky at times which to me takes away from the chilled vibe slightly. Nice sounds and the structure is good.

Functionform – This too shall pass
Great stuff – I really like the intro and the development into the guitar riff. The way you introduce the melody of the middle third is great – it’s a mix of West and East that you then blend into the final section. Production-wise I can’t hear any issues.

Blang – Gloomy
Great chilled beginning. Lovely chilled vibe overall in fact. Everything about it makes me think, yes, I could have put this on when I was doing my homework, I could have chilled out to this very happily. Not sure about the vocal in the background.

GMoneh – Anxiety
I like the sounds and it’s generally well mixed – the drums are slightly dragging behind the melody though. It feels to me a bit melancholy and maybe has a certain Cure / early Kraftwerk feel to it – like lots of others there’s an edge that feels further from the brief than I’d like.

Leonard Bowman – Good morning dust
Nice drum rhythm and nice intro – the washing machine thing works well. The bagpipe-ish melody is good. I wonder if it could fit together melodically a bit more than it does – it noodles around in a nice way that’s on brief, as far as I’m concerned, but by the second half I’m struggling slightly to keep hold of it.

VCA-089 – I’m okay
Funky bass is funky and I want to hear more of it. The piano in the second half feels a bit thin on its own. It becomes a bit intense with the guitar just before the outro.

► Show Spoiler
GMoneh

Post by GMoneh »

I will start with the disclaimer that I am not an expert at all in this lo-fi hip-hop genre, so my judgements with regards to genre attachment of the tracks might be off.
I also most of the time don't know what I'm doing with regards to composing, performing, mixing or mastering, so take my notes on those topics with a grain of salt too... :P ... Basically, feel free to ignore everything I say, I don't know what I'm talking about, and I'm not qualified to judge anybody's work... but since the contest requires it, here are my notes:

Canese - In Sepia Well
Very calming and consistent. Chill out mood. Like the melody and the sound timbres. A bit of abrupt ending.

Square - Finding My Footing
The vinyl effect at the beginning is perhaps a bit too forced. The riff is a bit repetitive throughout the track. Then, around 1:36, it changes to something completely different, giving an inconsistent feeling to the track as a whole.

Double Tap - Pugin Boutique
Again with the vinyl effect. Yes, it's lo-fi, but feels a bit forced… The track sounds pleasant enough, although, again, it lacks a bit of structure in my view. I guess the repetitiveness is a trait of the genre? As I said, I'm not an expert, but a two chord progression doesn't make for a very interesting musical journey.

Olli H - Lo-fi Feeling
At least the 6/8 time signature and some interesting chords and effects pull this one apart from the bunch. Would have liked a bit more timbral variety than just the piano, but again, I think we can blame this on the genre.

Becsei_gyorgy - Faces of Love
The hissing sound in the background is quite disruptive, and takes away from the enjoyment of the track. If it weren't for that, the melody and the arrangement are quite enjoyable. I like the trumpet sound and the strings, but then I couldn't enjoy them as much because, again, that hiss…

Mellow Browne - Like a Friend
This is the most "hip-hop" feeling of the bunch, if not the most "lo-fi". Minimal lyrics make it nonetheless stand out from the rest as well. The percussion gets a bit overwhelming at some point, but the song is enjoyable.

TrojakEW - Lone Wanderer
I like the groove in this one. Nice sounds and mood creation with the sound effects. Liked it overall.

Gruskada - Time To Live
Nice drum sounds and guitar. Misses the pocket a couple of times, which is a shame because the groove is what carries the song. Like the synth sax part too, not as much of a fan of the last section with the bell-like keys. Enjoyed it overall.

Shea - My Lofi Sky
Nice, mellow sounds, pleasant groove, but just like many others, becomes repetitive after a while. As I mentioned before, it might be that that's what the genre requires, in which case, it appears that I'm not a big fan of this genre.

Functionform - This Too Shall Pass
A piece that is enjoyable without being memorable. Repetitiveness again is my issue, and again, I blame the selected genre, since it's something I noticed with pretty much all the submitted tracks. Even so, this piece manages to add some slight variations over the same two bar/two chord riff.

Blang - Gloomy
Very subdued-sounding melody line, but that adds to the relaxed mood of the piece. Liked it overall, could do without a background sound that came from time to time (was it some kind of vocal sample?).

Leonard Bowman - Good Morning Dust
A bit of monotony seems to be the recurring theme on all the submissions here. Again, I feel that all the sound effects in the background take away more than add to my enjoyment of the track.

VCA-089 - I'm Okay
Attractive bass line, well played and sounding drums and percussion. Enjoyable, one of the few that doesn't fall in monotony and predictability.

Voting:
► Show Spoiler