2024-JUN-02 Info: Happy 10 Years Anniversary, everyone! Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 098 and Songwriting Competition 082.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC082 June 2024 - Voting until 01-JUL-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC082 June 2024 - Voting until 01-JUL-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

:arrow_right: A quick update for everyone

I noticed that you can (currently?) not directly download material from SoundCloud. I am still investigating this issue. However, please fear not, this will not result in any penalties on the final score sheet (I already collected all entries - not only for the Statistic Sheet, but also in case a bigger hiccup is happening). Although, please do make sure that your entries are properly named in the download link.

This is especially directed at @APi_ZZ and @AuderMarr. I am unsure if you can easily change the filename of the download for SoundCloud, but you can definitely change the filename on both GoogleDrive and Dropbox without re-uploading and therefore generating a new link. Please consult the filename template as shown on post #001.

:bulb: And speaking of @AuderMarr...
I consider your late entry to be due to a "server glitch" (long loading times). This is a rare occurrence, of course. :thinking:

Your song is therefore still in the game, you can get full feedback and participate in the overall game mechanic. This of course also means, that your entry still adheres to the given rules -- please edit / update your post with additional documentation.

Either way... I already heard great material so far. And I find it most amusing that three entries all share the song name "Summer Dreams" (in both English and Catalan). And we do have a heavily AI generation based entry as well. The reminder email will go out in a couple of hours - looking forward to read your feedback and personal reflection.

More soon... :headphones:
AuderMarr

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC082 June 2024 - Voting until 01-JUL-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by AuderMarr »

Mister Fox wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2024 09:14 CEST
:arrow_right: A quick update for everyone

I noticed that you can (currently?) not directly download material from SoundCloud. I am still investigating this issue. However, please fear not, this will not result in any penalties on the final score sheet (I already collected all entries - not only for the Statistic Sheet, but also in case a bigger hiccup is happening). Although, please do make sure that your entries are properly named in the download link.

This is especially directed at @APi_ZZ and @AuderMarr. I am unsure if you can easily change the filename of the download for SoundCloud, but you can definitely change the filename on both GoogleDrive and Dropbox without re-uploading and therefore generating a new link. Please consult the filename template as shown on post #001.

:bulb: And speaking of @AuderMarr...
I consider your late entry to be due to a "server glitch" (long loading times). This is a rare occurrence, of course. :thinking:

Your song is therefore still in the game, you can get full feedback and participate in the overall game mechanic. This of course also means, that your entry still adheres to the given rules -- please edit / update your post with additional documentation.

Either way... I already heard great material so far. And I find it most amusing that three entries all share the song name "Summer Dreams" (in both English and Catalan). And we do have a heavily AI generation based entry as well. The reminder email will go out in a couple of hours - looking forward to read your feedback and personal reflection.

More soon... :headphones:
Thank you so much, Mr. Fox, I confirm I have now updated my info post :)
TrojakEW

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC082 June 2024 - Voting until 01-JUL-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by TrojakEW »

Mister Fox wrote:
I noticed that you can (currently?) not directly download material from SoundCloud.
I can confirm that it is not working now. Looks like issue on their side but I can not find any info about this on the web.
Mister Fox wrote:
And I find it most amusing that three entries all share the song name "Summer Dreams" (in both English and Catalan)
I was not aware that others will have same idea in regards of name for track. Sorry for trouble.
APi_ZZ

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC082 June 2024 - Submissions until 24-JUN-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by APi_ZZ »

[/quote]
I am not sure if i understand this correctly, but did you let AI create your music?
[/quote]
Yep, AI did that job for me ... :wink:
APi_ZZ

Post by APi_ZZ »

Mister Fox wrote:
This is especially directed at @APi_ZZ ...
I replaced the download filename with the proper naming.
Is that sufficient? :confused:

APi_ZZ
Mellow Browne

Post by Mellow Browne »

Even if it is just a hobby for most of us we all have different motivations, ambitions, visions, ideas and feelings about music and how high we set our goals/limits. Sometimes the feedback is very short, but only because I told you the same in the past or your style just fit into my criteria and vision of music. As long as you have fun making music everything is good and it’s all that matters.

What I learned this month:
- Stepped Oscillator values in vsts or any plugins can limit your creativity/workflow if you want to give your element some movement and pumping effect
- Logic Drum synth sounds good but is a bit limited. I wonder why I ever bought drum samples in my life.
- I need to work harder on my chord voicing skills and overall keyboard playing, I still struggle to find the right notes for the different harmonies and variations. More music theory videos and practice the next few months!

So, here is the feedback:

Arelem:

I like the energy and the drive, it reminds me of early 2000s music. A very minimalistic approach with some glitch fx and kind of rap flow.
I don’t really know what it is but the entry doesn’t feel finished to me, there is something missing but it’s hard to tell what exactly. Maybe a bass line following the chords and ditch the kick sub, which I find way too loud in the mix. Or maybe a B part, or using your natural voice in the 2nd verse. Another thing is your flow, the cadence is very monoton and weird on several occasions, the rhyme pattern is too much house-mouse style and the lyrics are really cheesy.I know you are not a rapper but if you want to bring your rap skills and flow to the next level you should check artists like Jadakiss, T.I., Fabolous or Drake.
It’s not bad overall, but I know you can do „better“. Still, I have to give you props for this.

TrojakEW:

Sounds very cinematic, nice sound selection and chord progression. There is not much to say, your entry is very good. The mix is good and clean, I think the orch hits would profit from even more low end to give it that huge impact, or maybe switching phase can help increase the bass response. One thing I find funny is the composition itself, it gives me more of a winter feeling, it is very dramatic and the orchestration just sounds a bit like Christmas to me. That is just how I interpret your entry. Very good!

KukoBass:

A very dreamy soundscape and relaxing vibe. But to me it sounds very limited and a bit too boring, even with the keyboard solo there are only minor variations. There are also some playing mistakes which makes it sound unfinished, it is more like a WIP to me.

EsteveCorbera:

A lot is happening here but I can’t really follow the structure. The first part is very calm and dreamy, then the drums come in and the whole energy changes into some QVC commercial background music. As a beginner drummer I can tell you that the groove can kill the vibe completely, but honestly, you don’t even need to be a drummer to know this.
I gave you this kind of feedback in the past already, I would recommend you to look more into music theory in general. I don’t mean to be rude, I just give you my honest opinion.

JeroenZuiderwijk:

The first 10 seconds or so are very promising for a nice drum and bass track, the energy is there, but it sounds like thunderstorm from start to finish. Also, the drum groove is not really drum and bass like. There is a structure, but to my taste it is very chaotic and the whole vibe is really dark and far away from a „summer dream“. I would recommend you to dive deeper in music theory overall.

Miha:

Hello and welcome to the forum!
Another cinematic entry. I like the melodic structure and chord harmonies. Your entry fits the theme perfectly. I think a B part with a more dramatic character would have been a great addition to your entry to change the mood a bit. The violin sounds harsh/saturated in the 3-4kHz region and the overall mix is a bit squeaky. There is certain disconnection between the instruments because of the hard panning. Still, very good first entry!

Api_ZZ:

This sounds like the typical AI generated music you can find all over the internet with lots of artefacts in the vocals and the top end. No prompt can fix this atm.

VCA-089:

This is your unique signature sound and I really like it. The drum groove is nice with lots of reverb. This reminds me of Depeche Mode/ A-ha/Phil Collins 80s/90s music. The B part gives it a nice turn. But, I find the musical/melodical structure a bit chaotic, there are some spots which are bit dissonant. I know, I struggle myself a lot with this kind of thing when it comes to „correct“, or I should say „logical“ and realistic, chord voicing. I think more training on the keyboard and voicing exercises will bring you to the next level, you have a lot of musical feeling and a great vision.
Not sure if I asked you already but what monitors are you using? I told you this before, your mixes sound a bit squashed and the top end sounds like mp3. I’m not sure if it is this cassette tape thing you are using. The balance is not good, I’m really missing the bass here. The drums have too much reverb. Still, good job!

BenjiRage:

Beautiful chord progression and nice sound selection. This entry is very emotional and well composed, the arrangement is great. The saxophone just fits perfectly. The mix is clean and everything is audible, the amount of delay and reverb seems good. I think a compressor on the master buss with just a touch of gain reduction with a 1,5:1 Ratio and maybe 10ms attack and 100ms release could give it that little extra touch and add some drama. Excellent work!

AuderMarr:

The beginning reminds me of Call of Duty and after 40 seconds it switches to some Super Nintendo action music. It sounds chaotic and a lot of things happen, there is still a certain storyline to follow. A lot seems like random key hits, but if you listen carefully you can hear the melodical/musical structure. Yes, some notes are „off-key“, or maybe the bass is not correct on some occasions, which makes it here and there a bit dissonant to my ears. But overall it is a clever composition. Nice work!

Voting:
► Show Spoiler
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

AuderMarr wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2024 10:53 CEST
Thank you so much, Mr. Fox, I confirm I have now updated my info post :)
Saw your edits (also the filename) -- welcome to the Songwriting Competition.

APi_ZZ wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2024 23:52 CEST
I replaced the download filename with the proper naming.
Is that sufficient? :confused:
This does suffice, yes.
Miha

Post by Miha »

As I mentioned before, I am here for the first time and I hope that I will always be here from now on. I really like the community and the competition system, I'm still a little confused how and what, because I find it very difficult to find my way on these forum systems...mainly, I think that I still have a lot to learn about production and mixing, and according to your compositions, I think I've come to the right page :) I hope there won't be any resentment about the evaluation... I'm the kind of person who likes honesty, even if it hurts and if I'm not really in professional waters, I like to give my opinion.

Arelem:
interesting song and very good vocals. Regarding the Mix and the song, there are no bad criticisms from my side, the only thing that doesn't make sense to me is the connection of the song with the picture... the picture seems calm to me, but the song is quite wild :)

TrojakEW
Listening to your song and looking at the picture, I am constantly in a kind of tense expectation that something will happen :) there is a lot going on and I think that the song would fit very well in a Lord of the Rings movie :) I like it

KukoBass
Your composition fits the title very well, because I think it's very dreamy and unfortunately also boring.. somehow I would like the melody to develop a little more...

EsteveCorbera
this composition also fits the title, and your chosen image, only the image of the subject, in my opinion, a little less. I don't know why, but the sound of the waves just distracts me from the thematic picture. I would also like a more developed melody...

JeroenZuiderwijk
I think your composition is dark and wild..if the theme of the competition was a thriller from the 80s, I would definitely put you in the top. Otherwise, in my opinion, a good mix and a good song

Mellow Browne
I'm not exactly an expert in this genre of music, so I can't judge the mix or the composition, but if I, as a customer, wanted a melody for a given picture, I wouldn't look in this direction... but I can easily imagine a song somewhere on the coast at sunset with a cocktail in hand

VCA-089
in your composition, unfortunately, I can't find a connection with the added image of the theme... I like how distant and dreamy everything sounds, but if I look at the image of the theme while listening, it somehow doesn't fit into the context

BenjiRage
wonderful song and for my taste it also fits the theme...well done for the sax and piano...although I want more saxophone, but the point is still made...listening and looking at the picture, the sax takes my eyes to the clouds, and the piano to the meadows through the door. Excellent

(thanks to google for translating)

Voting:
1.BenjiRage
2.TrojakEW
3.KukoBass
4.EsteveCorbera
5.JeroenZuiderwijk
AuderMarr

Post by AuderMarr »

Music is (for now) a life-saving hobby for me and a great shelter from everything that's wrong in this world. Getting in touch with communities like this is something I wanted to do since long ago but I've never had the courage to actually commit.
From now on, I really want to change that and let my passion flourish by sharing the experience with other people who, like me, take great joy in making music, no matter the genre or style.

I still have to learn about composition, production, mixing and songwriting in general, and every constuctive feedback is crucial to me in order to get better.
Also, I'll make sure I won't submit my entry at the very last second in case I'm participating next month (you know, with work and other duties...).

MY REVIEWS

Arelem
Nice, vibing hyperpop song with a good sound selection. It feels like it's ready for charts. I would've add a little more variations in choruses but it's just a nitpick. However, it's a bit of an oddball when compared with the image used to prompt the theme of this month.

TrojakEW
This is one my favourites, wow. Quirky, with a distinct mélo vibe, but still dreamy, exotic and evocative. I love the addiction of sounds from nature to enhance it all. The only nitpick I have is that its end feels a bit "truncated": I would've put a long reverb couple with a delay on the last vocalization to make it ring in the distance. But it's definitely a matter of personal tastes, so my verdict doesn't change. Great work!

KukoBass
The solar, nostalgic late 80s-early 90's vibes are good in this. It feels a little generic, but the composition is solid and with no useless frills. Not bad at all!

EsteveCorbera
I like how it takes its time in the beginning to build up along the way. It really is a tranquil sunny day put into music. Melodies are very simple, but executed and merged very well between each other. The part I prefer the most, though, it's the coda: those intimate jumpy plucks creates a vibe I would have liked to have for the entire piece.
The only thing I'm not really sold on it's the way the drums sound: too ringing, they have an hiss that's just odd. But other than that, it's alright!

JeroenZuiderwijk
So energic, lively and diverse, and yet chill at the same time. Great choice in the dulcimer-like sound for the lead! Nothing much more to say other than it's one of my favourites so far.

Miha
Oh, what a nice romantic track! The sounds you used for the strings feel a little too digital, and I would've make a more massive use of varying velocity for the single notes to make the execution feel more human, but if we speak about mere composition this is spot on and has great potential. Good job.

APi_ZZ
No. Just no. Using ready-made AI songs in competitions like this is just senseless and unfair. I'm very sorry, but this absolutely doesn't sit well with me. And that's a pity, because I'm sure you can compose great music yourself and share it with us.

Mellow Browne
Now, this is really amusing. Such a good vibe and I like the offset percussion hits so much. A little "dry" in some points, and the phaser on the bass in the background could use a little variation here and there not to make it repetitive, but it's good!

VCA-089
Oof, sound design is amazing in this! The lysergic but nostagic vibe is completely on point in its own way and the use of reverbs is what it takes it to another level. The slow, acid guitar kicking in for a solo and lead the following melodic sections is the icing on the cake. Lows in drums sound a little a boom-y at times, but to be honest it doesn't really bother me. Bravo!

BenjiRage
It sounds so intimate and longing, another one of my favourites. Great use of your voice (can you confirm it's your voice?) and pitch drift to recreate that "not a real place" vibe. Nothing to nitpick on this one.

MY TOP 5:
► Show Spoiler
JeroenZuiderwijk
Wild Card x2
Wild Card x2

Post by JeroenZuiderwijk »

THi there!

Thank you again Mr. Fox for organizing this challenge.

Lots of amazing songs this month. It was a pleasure to listen to all your music.

I have learned this month that I should always follow my own feelings when I am writing music and not my head. The thing is, I see writing music as a form of art. You can create something totally unique and personal with it. And then my head tells me it is not 'commercial enough, or it is too weird and that no one is going to like it. But what is the point in writing music if you restrict yourself....music should be a free form of art.....unfortunately if I would like to make some money with it my best option would be to write more structured predictable music. But that is mostly not what i like the most. What I like about this challenge is that you (other musicians) also are not (always) trying to write a hitsong but just let the music out that you feel that moment. That, for me, makes the most interesting listening experience.

That said, I have been thinking about AI music. The way I see it is that with AI generated music I don't see a personal piece of art...there is no 'real' story behind the music...just an algorithm. With any peace of art, for me it is not only the end-product that counts but also the proces to get there...it is the story behind it that gives it if value. And the respect for the creaters talent.That doesn;t mean that AI would not be able to write nice music...it is just that the thought that it was not a person makes it feel hollow.

Anyway, here is my feedback:

Arelem
you have got a personal sound that stands out. I would probably recognise your music in this songwriting challenge if I would hear it without reading your name in this challenge. That is a good thing and a compliment. The production and mix is great, full and punchy. This could be a summer club hit. Soundwise this is an inspiration for me.
All the different samples and sounds makes this very interesting to listen to. Can only give compliments, no idea what could be improved.

TrojakEW
The combination of the chant choir vocal and the strings works really well. This is an extremely beautiful composition and melody.

KukoBass
A lot is happening, many layers but it could still use some variation in my opinion chord-wise. It all seems to circle around one or two chords with little melody. I would like some more variation personally to keep things interesting....like a hook but could also be something else. What you have created is an atmosphere that I like and fits the theme this month. It is like a very musical soundscape...and if I listen to it like that it makes more sense and maybe it doesn't need much after all. The sounds all fit nice together, the mix is also good. And the structure / build up of the song is great. Wouldn't change that!

EsteveCorbera
I like the combination of the piano and guitar. The guitarpicking in the intro is very low in volume….could be a little more prominent because it sounds really nice. The drums give the music good energy. I do have the feeling that the piano is searching for something to hold on to. Could be a melody or something. Now it only plays some single notes with the chords. The atmosphere of the song is there, a little jazzy with a rock drum. Good work!

Miha
Wow, what a beautiful composition. The sound is still a bit too harsh and if the mix was better I could have enjoyed it even more. But beneath this harsh string sound is a pearl of a song. The piano part is impressive…did you play that yourself?

Api_ZZ
I must admit that it feels weird to give feedback to a song that is AI generated. I mean…should I address the computer with my feedback or you? It is just that it is not totally clear to me where I can hear your own creativity (see also my general text above) Maybe it is there but then I am curious where / what part? Apart from this it is an interesting experiment ofcourse.

Mellow Browne
Yes! This is cool, simplistic in a very professional way. The kicksound is great (where can I find a sample like that?), the combination with the vocal and deep bass makes this a fantastic club summer hit. I like it! So what could be improved? Maybe the deep bass part louder in the mix….it feels a bit shy…give it more attitude…I want to feel the bass with music like this 😊

VCA-089
Ok, I was going to say….a bit too long with not enough variation….but…then I realized that you were building something up and then suddenly without me even realizing the song was evolving into something with more energy and I finaly understood (I think) the inention of your song…and it gave me a smile to my face. The guitar is a great contribution to the song by the way. Would have been great if it played a bit more energetic solo.

BenjiRage
That is one intense song. The intro already grabs the listener. The use of delay and reverb compliments the song. The vocal is very good. Just a fantastic composition and performance. The mix also sounds great…but you obviously had a lot of practice with the mix-challenge 😉
My compliments!

AuderMarr
Dark sounding intro…weird dissonant sounds. I like that unexpected things in a song. The ‘bleep-envelope-filter’ sounding instrumetn is strange in a good way for this composition. It is not easy listening but a fun experience. The bass sound I like very much. I enjoyed listening to this one. The jazzy chaos melodies are a bit too much for me personaly but a great musical creative peace nonetheless.

Now for my top 5. Not one clear winner for me....too many great songs. But I had to make a choice...so here goes:

1. TrojakEW
2. Benji Rage
3. Mellow Browne
4. Miha
5. Arelem