2024-SEP-01 Info: Every September, the Mix Challenge audio community brings awareness to the topic mental health. Please have a look at Songwriting Competition 085.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC099 August 2024 - Mix Round 2 in evaluation

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
Cadence Soundlabs
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

MIX CHALLENGE - MC099 August 2024 - Cadence Soundlabs Mix

Post by Cadence Soundlabs »

Good afternoon,

Here is the link to my mix for MC099 "Falling."

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pBsqmb ... sp=sharing

I was pretty minimal with processing on individual elements with this mix. I did a little compression here or there with certain things like the kick drum for example. I did do a fair amount of compression on the vocals and bus compression on instruments groups.

I focused more on creating an ambient space on this mix. I used a combination of 4 reverbs on the instrument tracks. The vocals had 3 delays (one of which was a quarter note throw delay). Those delays were sent to both the mix bus and to the vocal reverb. And the piano track had a bonus reverb on it... I sent the piano track to a mono bus with no output and put an autopanner on it and sent that signal to 2 additional mono reverb plugins so one reverb was on the left and the other reverb was on the right. The idea behind blending reverbs is to create unique sounds and spaces.

All of my instruments were sent to a bus that had a compressor with a sidechain that was triggered by the vocal bus.

My mix bus had the HF limiter from the TDR Limiter No. 6 plugin and bus compression.

Enjoy and have a great week! Good luck everybody!
JeroenZuiderwijk
Wild Card x2
Wild Card x2

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC099 August 2024 - Cadence Soundlabs Mix

Post by JeroenZuiderwijk »

Cadence Soundlabs wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2024 22:39 CEST
Good afternoon,

Here is the link to my mix for MC099 "Falling."

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pBsqmb ... sp=sharing

I was pretty minimal with processing on individual elements with this mix. I did a little compression here or there with certain things like the kick drum for example. I did do a fair amount of compression on the vocals and bus compression on instruments groups.

I focused more on creating an ambient space on this mix. I used a combination of 4 reverbs on the instrument tracks. The vocals had 3 delays (one of which was a quarter note throw delay). Those delays were sent to both the mix bus and to the vocal reverb. And the piano track had a bonus reverb on it... I sent the piano track to a mono bus with no output and put an autopanner on it and sent that signal to 2 additional mono reverb plugins so one reverb was on the left and the other reverb was on the right. The idea behind blending reverbs is to create unique sounds and spaces.

All of my instruments were sent to a bus that had a compressor with a sidechain that was triggered by the vocal bus.

My mix bus had the HF limiter from the TDR Limiter No. 6 plugin and bus compression.

Enjoy and have a great week! Good luck everybody!
Hi,
I think you have the file name template wrong. It is best just to copy and paste the template provided by Mr Fox.

MC099__LosTimpanis__Falling__ForumUsername.wav

I like the sound of your drums btw....

Cheers,

Jeroen
Spyart

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC099 August 2024 - Submissions until 21-AUG-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Spyart »

Here is my take on it https://drive.google.com/file/d/1j4mI19 ... sp=sharing

Acoustic guitar - Spectre, Expanse3D, Pultec, ADT, PRO-MB, Spectre, PRO-Q3, Softube Transient Shaper
Bass - Unfiltered audio BASSMINT, Pro-BM, Basslane, Pro-q3, LittleRadiator, Soothe2, Spectre, Pro-q3, NI VC 2a, soothe2, Microshift, Sidechain compressor
Drum group - Big clipper, Expanse3d
hat - low cut and transient shaper
kick - little radiator, bass professor, bassmint, transient shaper, eq and mb
overhead - proq3 and soothe2
drum room - devilloc deluxe, q3 and mb, expanse3d
snare - proq3, fetish, promb, valhallaroom, decapitator
guache - khs haas, soothe2, transient shaper, proq3, essence
guiro - khs haas, transient shaper
vocal - NI vari comp, promb, proq3, little radiator, soothe2, ni supercharger gt, spectre, magic death eye, pro-mb
marimba - microshift, transient shaper, autopan, spectre, proq3
piano - transient shaper
trumpets - pro-mb, decapitator, proq3, transient shaper
Isa
Song Provider
Song Provider

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC099 August 2024 - Submissions until 21-AUG-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Isa »

PonySho wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2024 21:25 CEST
Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Y6k6ZU ... drive_link

Hi Guys. My first mix on this forum.
Thanks for the opportunity, and to Isaac for the song.
I can't hear your link, access is denied
PonySho

Post by PonySho »

Hi Isa - my apologies. Link fixed.

PonySho
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC099 August 2024 - Submissions until 21-AUG-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

Apologies for the late response on game mechanic / rule book questions...

_StillBorn wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2024 19:40 CEST
neither any changes to the arrangement (copy/add/move/remove parts)!
(unless otherwise stated). Micro-adjustments are allowed within
reason
Would adding or removing a hihat part to the chorus be considered a micro adjustment?
That would be considered "changing the arrangement".

Please consult the Rules and Guidelines again, and also the FAQ (especially Q/A 07)

PonySho wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2024 21:25 CEST
NOTES ABOUT MY PROCESS

PRODUCTION
Many listens to the song gave me the feeling that the arrangement was incomplete. Isaac made the comment in "A word from the song provider," that "Definitely more opportunities for creative decisions..." was an option. I understood that Isaac was allowing the opportunity to creatively tweak, which is what I did. This involved creative muting and regenerating his vocal and other instrument parts to create backing vocals, vocal throws, and musical fills etc. I did not record anything new or do any drum replacement. I hope this is within the rules, but if not, then the Isaacs notes are at odds with the Mix Challenge requirements in my opinon.
This is not "at odds" with the Mix Challenge rules or requirements. Your task is to plainly mix, not add something that wasn't there before (harmonies, mutes, fills, etc), even if the mix sounds and feels sparse otherwise.

Please consult the Rules and Guidelines again, and also the FAQ (Q/A 07, Q/A 11)

Those that submitted an entry already, please remember, your entry is final.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC099 August 2024 - Submissions until 21-AUG-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

:arrow_right: A friendly reminder:
Including today, 5 days left to submit your mix.

So far, we have 27 entries (compared to 127 Mix Pack downloads -- 33x LZMA compressed ZIP, 94x regular ZIP).
Please continue to pay attention to detail (see bundled TL;DR Rules.txt and/or post #003)
filipandrei

Post by filipandrei »

Hello,

This is my submission for this contest:

MC099__LosTimpanis__Falling__filipandrei.wav

MIX BUS - Pulsar Modular P455 MDN with 2db boost on 50Hz and 10Khz, SSL Bus Compressor, aiming for 2db of compression ( 2:1 ratio, attack of 20ms and auto-release), finished with UAD Ampex ATR 102 Mastering Tape Plugin for o bit of warmth

DRUMS / PERCUSSION - UAD Distressor with 6:1 ratio, squeezing about 4-7db compression with a reasonably slow attack and a fast release, followed by an Avalon VT-737 with a bit of top end and small boost on 60Hz.

BASS Spliting it in highs and lows. Choosing a strong compression ratio for the low-lows, to keep this under control ( Avalon VT-737 )

ACOUSTIC Gtr BUS - Mild compression with an LA-3A and, followed by SSL 9000J console for a narrow 360hz boost and a bit of 10KHz

KEYBOARDS SSL 9000j with a mild boost on 1.5Khz and a bit of 400Hz and a bit of THD for some harmonics

VOCAL BUS - I started with some DeEsser / SSL 9000J for a bit of air and 10KHz clarity / LA-2A for some compression, and I finished with a 902 DeEsser plugin.
I also have some effects sends to UAD Lexicon 224 on Room Setting with no Bass and shallow Mid reverb time and 20ms pre-delay, some 1/4 delay tucked underneath using Soundtoys EchoBoy, and finally, UAD Galaxy Tape Echo, just the reverb setting for a special spring delay

Good luck, everyone
_StillBorn

Post by _StillBorn »

Mister Fox wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2024 08:15 CEST
Apologies for the late response on game mechanic / rule book questions...

_StillBorn wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2024 19:40 CEST
neither any changes to the arrangement (copy/add/move/remove parts)!
(unless otherwise stated). Micro-adjustments are allowed within
reason
Would adding or removing a hihat part to the chorus be considered a micro adjustment?
That would be considered "changing the arrangement".

Please consult the Rules and Guidelines again, and also the FAQ (especially Q/A 07)`
I did. You'll need to disqualify a couple already.
However, how would you know I didn't put a 1 bar tape delay on the hihat and let it "ring out"?
Dodgingrain

Post by Dodgingrain »

Here is my mix: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqpB-RLndYJrmtRRA_W ... A?e=51zAQR

I deviated quite a bit from the rough mix but tried to keep the general spirit of what was going on.

Drums: Not to much other than eq and compression. I did add some snare buzz and an exciter on a few part to try and shift the harmonics some.
Bass: There is a fair amount of automation on the levels and effects, also added a little bit of amp distortion to give it more bite.
Guitar: Again added some automation and an exciter and some eq tweaks.
Horns: Another exciter to give the horns some life.
Piano: I diverted from the rough mix and went with a full range piano. To me if fit the song far better.
Vocals: Typical eq and compression. Also did some vocal tuning.
Mixing, Mastering, Remixing Services
Two Cat Audio Labs, llc
https://www.twocataudiolabs.com
https://www.instagram.com/twocataudiolabs/