2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC097 April 2024 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC097 April 2024 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by Mister Fox »

Hello and welcome to the Mix Challenge 097 - April 2024

! Bonus Info
This month, you have the chance to work on a "Pop Rock" production by Mix Challenge community regular Per Bellener (aka @A Future in Noise, who kindly provided these multi-tracks), featuring vocalist Sandra Karinsdotter. The song is called "Get A Grip".

This production might feel simple, but will definitely throw you some curveballs. Most notably in terms of balancing instruments (volume / panning / automation). There might also be the occasional thing to take a closer listen (pops and clicks). Else, the idea is to create a fresh take on this mix, based upon your unique style and skills.

Are you up for this challenge?

Then please take special note of the attached TXT files in the Mix Pack. And please read about the details and special requirements for handling this mix further down below.

:information_source: BEFORE WE GET STARTED:
  • Please consult the official "Rules and Guidelines" for the Mix Challenge regarding principles of the game, upload/submission guidelines, the concept of documenting your edits, and maximum allowed loudness values (see Rule Book - post #6)
  • The focus of this game is "mixing". Try to create a mix in your own style that complements this production and can stand on it's own, no matter the playback medium. Edit/Mix in such a way, that barely any after-touches other than proper fade in/out and finalizing for distribution (incl. loudness adjustments e.g. for release on Streaming, Vinyl, Tape, CD) is needed for a possible follow-up mastering step.
  • The "Mix Pack" and additional information for this months production can be found in in post #002
  • Please consult the bundled TXTs for more info -- a sub-300 words TL;DR Rule Set is also part of the "Mix Pack"
:arrow_right: Filename Template: MC097__Bellener_and_Friends__Get_A_Grip__ForumUsername.wav

Failing to adhere to the rules will result in disqualification. There will be no additional reminders given.
If you got any question, please also reach out on Discord

:arrow_right: MIX(ING) CHALLENGE THREAD INDEX

Post #001 -- Introduction post and index for the various stages of the Songwriting Competition. Will be updated as we progress
Post #002 -- Submission Period: General Information, Source Material, License Sponsors
Post #144 -- Mix Round 1 Statistics/Data Sheet: Overview of Submissions - is your entry within given parameters?
Post #000 -- Mix Round 2: Global Feedback and Round 2 Participant Announcement
Post #000 -- Mix Round 3: <optional>/<not happening this game>
Post #000 -- Results: Winner announcement
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC097 April 2024 - Submissions until 21-APR-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

CURRENT CHALLENGE - GENERAL INFORMATION

Time Frame: Monday, 01st April 2024 to Sunday, 21st April 2023 (21 days)

Challenge submission will end on 21-APR-2023, 23:59 UTC+2/CEST (Germany) - until further notice.

Want to find out if you're still within the deadline, please either consult the Global Countdown (dedicated page), or the countdown on the landing site. There will also be short reminders on Social Media and on Discord.

Song Provider: Bellener and Friends (represented by @A Future in Noise )
Song Name and Length: Get A Grip, 4:11 min
Song Information: 91,80 BPM / Signature: 4/4
File Format: WAV, 48kHz, 24bit

GENRE: Pop Rock

:arrow_right: Preview of the Song (Demo Mix):

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:arrow_right: SOURCE FILES:

Main Mix Package - full package (391,24 MB, LZMA compressed, zip)
IMPORTANT NOTE: download window might show a smaller file size, file unavailable after 21-APR-2024

The provided files were packed as ZIP with LZMA compression (specs from 2015).
File size extracted: 1458,47 MB, packed 391,24 MB (ZIP, LZMA)

In order to extract the files, we can recommend these programs / apps:
► Show Spoiler

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A word from the song provider:
A Future in Noise wrote:I'm rather pleased with the present version of the song, but not everything is perfect. The guy who helped me mixing altered the levels (dB) of the e-piano and the acoustic guitars back and forth. Maybe, in this current version, the e-piano is a little too loud in the intro (in comparison with guitars), or a little too "harsh" (too much "treble"). But I'm no expert when it comes to assigning different frequency ranges to different tracks / instruments, in order to prevent the "main" frequencies from the different instruments from interfere with each other.

I think everybody who listens to the original mix is going to think of the late 60s or early 70s. This wasn't done deliberately by me. However, the early 70s was when I heard pop music for the first time.

We want all instruments included in the mix to be fully audible. This is something the participants in this competition should take a closer look at.

And also: for the kick drum to be a part of this 60s, 70s sound, it should probably NOT be as loud and dominant as it often is in modern genres. You SHOULD be able to perceive the kick, of course.

Apart from the question how perfect, or non perfect, the current mix is, it is going to be very exciting to listen to the new mixes you all create. I hope for some variation.

I can't think of any reference track. That's not the way I do it, when I compose. I mean: I did not think of any particular artist, and his or her sound, when I started to work with this song. I usually work in a very intuitive way, not really aiming for a sound in any particular direction, when I play or write the first notes in my songs, when I begin composing them.

Here are a couple of artists that could have inspired me, from the same period - although the similarity isn't overwhelming (Carly Simon, Steely Dan, The Monkees)

Bonus fact:
I am considering using the winning mix commercially. That is, publish on Spotify and/or any other similar platform. That kind of discussions would have to take place, with the participant who created the winning mix. This will be decided towards the end of the game.

Rule Summary:

More technical details are in the Mix Pack bundled TXTs. In there you can find the lyrics of the song (incl. a translation to English), more information about the individual files, possible changes to the time signature, and maybe even additional tips and tricks relevant to this production (by the Mix Challenge staff). Additionally a TL;DR Rule Set and, depending on the song provider's approval, an available "Off-site redistribution agreement" for a possible portfolio presentation.

Please consult the official Rules and Guidelines for a more detailed set of rules, including how to document your edits, maximum loudness values and delivery formats (see Rule Book - Post #6). Please pay attention to detail. Failing to adhere to the rules will result in disqualification. There will be no additional reminders given.

:arrow_right: LICENSE SPONSORS (Bonus Prizes):

A huge thank you goes to our very generous License Sponsors for this month's game. Those being (in alphabetical order):
Acon Digital, Audified, Hornet Plugins, IK Multimedia, Kilohearts, Metric Halo, NUGEN Audio and Tone2

A detailed list of offerings can be found in the following information block.
► Show Spoiler

Good luck to all participants.
And most importantly, have fun!
scottfitz
Backer
Backer

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC097 April 2024 - Submissions until 21-APR-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by scottfitz »

Hi all
Great track, going to love mixing this!

Before I dive in, I'd just like to confirm that the tempo is 91.8 BPM as it states in the general information file. In the above post we have "90,80" written.

Cheers all.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC097 April 2024 - Submissions until 21-APR-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

Thanks for pointing this out, @scottfitz. It is indeed 91,80 BPM (91.80 BPM).

My fault, fixed.
scottfitz
Backer
Backer

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC097 April 2024 - Submissions until 21-APR-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by scottfitz »

Hi all,
As usual, thanks to the artist, A Future in Noise and to Mister Fox, I loved working on this pop song. I found the existing version of the song to be a well executed modern sounding version, but I felt that the track was more suited to being a natural 60s/70s style track, so that's what I've gone for.

Heres' the link to my entry
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BZKUq5 ... sp=sharing

I always wanted to submit an entry on the day the Mix Challenge was opened. This month I was forced to do this as I've got lot's on. After what I said in the previous entry about mixbus plugins, on this track I have used 0, yes zero plugins on the mixbus. I only have time to give minimal notes, so I will talk about the bass processing which I spent a fair amount of the time on.

EQ
HPF @30Hz 12dB/oct
-1dB @50Hz
low shelf +2dB @160Hz
-4dB bell @330Hz
+2dB bell @1kHz

Cenozoix compressor, vintage tube model, attack 12ms, release 143ms, doing 2-4dB GR

HG2 Black Box, Saturation flat 10%, Pentode 10 o'clock, Triode 1 o'clock

LA-2A silver doing a further 2dB GR

FabFilter MB sidechained to the kick only doing 1dB on bottom 400Hz

If anyone else needs any further info, please request but I probably won't have time to answer.
Cheers all and good luck
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

I did not expect an entry within the first day -- but there is always room for surprises.

Then again, if you're short on time, then you had no other choice. :thinking:
Initial stat-check is okay. Thank you for "breaking the ice". Looking forward to more entries!

Although, and this is especially directed at newcomers, please do take an extra day to take another listen with fresh ears. Just to be on the safe side. Good luck, and have fun, everyone. :headphones:
5OVEREIGNTY

Post by 5OVEREIGNTY »

Here is my mix - https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlZMDAvy6khti1eS3T9 ... U?e=BinOsx

Enjoyed mixing this and nothing too difficult I found :smile:
A Future in Noise
Song Provider
Song Provider

Post by A Future in Noise »

Hello everyone, I'm the song provider, as you probably know. I have decided to provide feedback only to my top 15 entries. And as I understand it, it's a good idea to announce this at an early stage.
A Future in Noise
Song Provider
Song Provider

Post by A Future in Noise »

scottfitz wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 07:10 CEST
I only have time to give minimal notes, so I will talk about the bass processing which I spent a fair amount of the time on.

EQ
HPF @30Hz 12dB/oct
-1dB @50Hz
low shelf +2dB @160Hz
-4dB bell @330Hz
+2dB bell @1kHz

Cenozoix compressor, vintage tube model, attack 12ms, release 143ms, doing 2-4dB GR

HG2 Black Box, Saturation flat 10%, Pentode 10 o'clock, Triode 1 o'clock

LA-2A silver doing a further 2dB GR

FabFilter MB sidechained to the kick only doing 1dB on bottom 400Hz

If anyone else needs any further info, please request but I probably won't have time to answer.
Cheers all and good luck
Hi scottfitz, I fully understand if you do not have time to answer. Anyway:

1: When you say: ” I will talk about the bass processing” - may I ask exactly what you mean? The bass guitar? All low frequencies from the main output?

2: ”FabFilter MB sidechained to the kick ...” I don't think I've ever used the sidechaine technique, but I know, in theory, what it means. But from your description I still don't know what conclusions to draw. To the kick? And which sounds are ducking? Does everything else duck when the kick is hit, or only the bass guitar?

3: What is GR short for?

Cheers
scottfitz
Backer
Backer

Post by scottfitz »

Hi,
since it's a quick answer, I can help.

1. I meant solely the bass guitar processing, sorry I should have been more specific.

2. Again I was lazy, as I assume people know the same things as I do. What I mean in this case is that when the kick hits, the bass will duck to allow it to be heard more clearly. More precisely. the audio information from the kick is given to a FabFilter multiband compressor which acts on the bass guitar. When you do this on the FabFilter multiband compressor you actually see the frequencies of the kick appearing on the spectrum analyser over the top of the frequencies of the bass. You can then select the region for which you want the compression to act and dial in the usual parameters: attack, release, threshold.

3. GR is gain reduction.

I hope this has cleared up your questions. Thanks again for letting us work on your track and sorry I had so little time available for it, I would have done a much better job with the other 20 extra days to go back to it :)