2024-SEP-01 Info: Every September, the Mix Challenge audio community brings awareness to the topic mental health. Please have a look at Songwriting Competition 085.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC085 September 2024 - Submissions until 24-SEP-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC085 September 2024 - Submissions until 24-SEP-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

Hello and welcome to the Songwriting Competition 085 - September 2024

:information_source: BEFORE WE GET STARTED:
  • Please consult the official and very simple "Rules and Guidelines" (TL;DR version) for the Songwriting Competition regarding principles of the game, it's engaging game mechanics (allowed editing/re-submission of your entry until the deadline has been reached) and upload/submission guidelines.
  • The general idea of this game is to "...just make music", to also challenge yourself by stepping a bit out of your comfort zone, and take a dip at realms you've never worked in before. Instrumentals are just as welcome as productions with vocals.
  • The Genre, "Premise" and Rules Summary for this months challenge can always be found in in post #002
Read more about this month's competition further down below. And if you got any question, please also reach out on Discord.

:arrow_right: SONGWRITING COMPETITION THREAD INDEX

Post #001 -- Introduction post and index for the various stages of the Songwriting Competition. Will be updated as we progress
Post #002 -- Submission Period: General Information, Source Material, Sponsors
Post #003 -- Cheat Sheet: A couple of examples / audio demos for this month's challenge (limited if genre is "free to select")
Post #000 -- Voting: Summarized entries and start of voting process
Post #000 -- Results: Results of the Songwriting Competition
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

CURRENT CHALLENGE - GENERAL INFORMATION

Time Frame: Sunday, 01st September 2024 to Tuesday, 24th September 2024 (24 days)

Challenge submission will end on 24-SEP-2024, 23:59 UTC+2/CEST (Germany) - until further notice.

The current game deadlines can be found on the Global Countdown page and on the landing site. Short reminders will also be sent out via the newsletter, social media and Discord. Does the game time frame feel too long? Why not set yourself a personal shorter one of 5-7 days. Push yourself to focus on the essentials, then use the rest of the time to ask for feedback and possible refinements. :bulb:

SONGWRITING THEME: "Silent Screams" (Mental Health Awareness Month)
GENRE: free to select

Image Source: iStock.com, photo by Khosrork

A few word about this month's theme:

Staff (Mister Fox) wrote: "The mind is a fickle thing.

On some days, you're enthusiastic, full of energy, productive. On other days, you barely have any energy, rather want to lie in bed all day, do nothing. On yet another day, everything is aggravating, you just want to get stuff done. However, you finish one thing on one end of your task list, and 10 more things popped up in the process. And at the end of the day, you do wonder where all that time went. You have to go grocery shopping, but the outside world is so tiring that you come home mentally drained. You want to do your hobbies, and then live rolls you over.

You just want to scream, but on the outside you are numb. You have to function, with a slight smile on your face - as it is expected from you.

And yet... you can not. You scream internally. Quietly, and yet deafening."

:information_source: This month is not as "refined" as usual. I can merely provide you with a broad theme. Maybe you want to tell us a story, maybe you want to process something that has been chipping at you for months now. Maybe you just want to "create" something in the first place. The rest is up to you.

The genre doesn't matter.

It can be anything. A piano tune, it can be an ambient soundtrack, it can be an electronic track, it can be EBM with distorted vocals, it can be a hard rock production, it can be chaotic Drum and Bass, it can be a pop ballad, it can be a Hip Hop tune.

Just... make music. Tell us a story, if you want to. One about yourself, about somebody you know, or maybe nothing at all (just whatever comes to mind). Process your emotions, channel it into art, and let it speak for itself. No matter if vocalized, or just instrumental.

:arrow_right: The month (September) is about spreading awareness of Mental Health on the Mix Challenge audio community.

Not only on our audio community - I do want to spread awareness in general, even some positivity in the process. We do need to get rid of the stigma that you shouldn't speak up and ask for help. That you should rather "man up", stick to yourself, pretend that everything is all right, even if it isn't. This is considered "a weakness" in our society - and we need to stop treating it as such.

A lot of people simply cope with art. May it be artwork of any kind, writing poems, humor, or in our case... creating music. Everything of that, is telling a bigger tale. And this is exactly what I'd like to evoke (again) this month: reach out, tell a story.

Feel free to share the word via social media with the following hashtags, to get more people involved:
#MentalHealth #MusicTherapy #HealThroughMusic and #ItsOkayToNotBeOkay

:information_source: Important Footnote:

If you know of somebody that is suffering from depression, showing signs of self harm or having suicidal thoughts - don't look away, do not lock this person out. Reach out, offer help - and may it only be an ear that listens to a story. If you know of somebody that is suffering anxiety or is showing signs of severe introversion, don't pressure this person, give him/her space, be mindful and understanding.

Never ever treat this person with disrespect or shrug away a subliminal cry for help. It is hard to judge how a person's mind work. Please be patient, be kind, just... be there.

If in doubt, contact local aid agencies that are specialized in this field.

Songwriting Rule Summary:
► Show Spoiler

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:arrow_right: LICENSE SPONSORS (Bonus Prizes):

A huge thank you goes to our very generous License Sponsors for this month's game. Those being (in alphabetical order):

Cherry Audio, Ghostwave Audio, Hollow Sun, Hornet Plugins, IK Multimedia, JRR Sounds, kv331 audio, Luftrum, Musiclab, Rekkerd Sounds, satyatunes - Sound / Graphic Design, and Tone2.

A detailed list of offerings can be found in the following information block.
► Show Spoiler
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good luck to all participants.
And most importantly, have fun!
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

AUDIO EXAMPLES:
---------------------

:arrow_right: Articles and Info Pages:

A great starting point is the "Addendum"/Supplementary thread for the Songwriting Competition
Songwriting Competition - Addendum: Music Maps and BPM Charts

Since the genre this month is "free to select", there are no clear pointers

Music examples (selection for inspiration, 00 videos):

No music examples available this month. However, I can always recommend to enter random genre search words either on YouTube, Spotify or other music streaming services you prefer using.

:arrow_right: If you're new to songwriting, or you are in need for new helper tools, instruments, samples or presets -- please check out the following:

Songwriting Competition - Addendum: Tools to help with songwriting (outsourced megathread - started 01-JUL-2024)

UPDATED: 31-AUG-2024 22:35 UTC+2, updated 00-SEP-2024 00:00 UTC+2
burakxmusic

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC085 September 2024 - Submissions until 24-SEP-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by burakxmusic »

This song is the song of a woman who finds a solution to her psychological problems by dancing in the spirit of the night and is alone with her problems.

lyrics, music and mix mastering Burakxmusic
female vocal: Aslı

Echoes of the night - lyrics

In the night ,we lose our way
Fall the stars, they guide the way
Feel the rhythm let it sway
In the silence heart will say

Lost in the deap where shadows play
Dancin' through the dark till' break of day
Echoes of the night they softly call
In this deep house, we lose it all

(×2)

In the silence heart will say
Made using Logic Pro 20.7.5

This is My Songwriting Competition
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lyk_31 ... sp=sharing
Last edited by burakxmusic on Sun Sep 08, 2024 21:13 CEST, edited 2 times in total.
TrojakEW

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC085 September 2024 - Submissions until 24-SEP-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by TrojakEW »

As I stated in previous round I wanted again do something simple. Now this time it is not one chord track (actually it is 13). So it is not same simplicity like in previous round. This is about less used instruments and simple composition. There are 3 main instruments, solo legato voice as lead with male choir and low sustain strings for chord progression. The rest of sound are used to create melodic texture background to add bit more ambience to the track.

My approach for this month theme silent scream is lament, used as metaphor for scream. Cry is like scream that is often ignored. It represent the pain and sadness that associated with different illnesses including mental health issues. Lament is silent scream.

Instruments used:
► Show Spoiler
Elcubano

Post by Elcubano »

Hello,
I'm at the beginning of the process, I'm sharing an extract, it would be to get some ideas on how to improve the mixing.
This month I'm doing a metal-style instrumental.

In the mix at the moment I've got a clean guitar, a doubled left-right ryhtmic guitar, a lead guitar, a bass guitar and addictive drums 2 on drums.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QieXdT ... sp=sharing
TrojakEW

Post by TrojakEW »

Elcubano wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2024 11:21 CEST
I'm at the beginning of the process, I'm sharing an extract, it would be to get some ideas on how to improve the mixing.
This is actually quite nice draft for sure. Nice idea and quite nice sounding. :tu:

Only thing for me to balance lead solo guitar, rhythm guitar and clean guitar. While in the beginning the levels sounds good, later when rhythm guitar is introduced it is unbalanced. Clean guitar interfere with lead too much and rhythm guitar is too much dominant. I would definitely put lead upfront move clean guitar more to back. I would also reduce volume of rhythm to match the drums levels.
PonySho

Post by PonySho »

TrojakEW wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2024 17:14 CEST
As I stated in previous round I wanted again do something simple. Now this time it is not one chord track (actually it is 13). So it is not same simplicity like in previous round. This is about less used instruments ...
Hi TrojakEW. I like your track. It's quite thought-provoking. Kinda gives me the vibe like I'm in a quiet space thinking about my life. Thanks for sharing.
Elcubano

Post by Elcubano »

TrojakEW wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2024 18:19 CEST
Only thing for me to balance lead solo guitar, rhythm guitar and clean guitar. While in the beginning the levels sounds good, later when rhythm guitar is introduced it is unbalanced. Clean guitar interfere with lead too much and rhythm guitar is too much dominant. I would definitely put lead upfront move clean guitar more to back. I would also reduce volume of rhythm to match the drums levels.
Great! thanks for the feedback, I'll try to improve the balance.
It's hard to be objective, the ear gets used to the problem very quickly. It's good to have an outside opinion.
PonySho

Post by PonySho »

Elcubano wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2024 11:21 CEST
Hello,
I'm at the beginning of the process, I'm sharing an extract, it would be to get some ideas...
Hi Elcubano. This track starts off beautifully. I like how the intensity builds but I think the drums need to kick arse when they come in to give the track more energy. I suggest you turn up the kick and snare, and add a longer reverb on the snare to make the snare tone fuller and longer. It's a common and useful technique to lengthen the snare tone for slower tempo songs. For me, the guitars are all balanced pretty well. Would love to hear the rest of the track once you're done. Great start!