2024-OCT-01 Info: We're celebrating 10 years of our small community, and our 100th Mix(ing) Challenge. Many games to participate in this month - please have a look.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC099 August 2024 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
MIllod

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC099 August 2024 - Submissions until 21-AUG-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by MIllod »

Hi! Thanks for the challange. I'm new here so this will be my first entry. :grin:
Link to the mix:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1o_QUX0 ... sp=sharing

Documentation:
Vocals: Eq, DeEsser, Compression, J37, Crystallizer, Echoboy, Valhalla Supermassive, Newtone
Guitar: Eq, Compression, Kramer Tape, Cassette
Bass: Archetype Cory Wong, Eq, Compression, RBass
Drum buss: Eq, Compression, DS-10 Drum Shaper
Kick: Eq, Compression
Hi hats: DS-10 Drum Shaper
Marimba: Eq, Decapitator, Echoboy, Crystalizer
Piano: Eq
Trumpets: Eq
Percussions: Just balancing volume
Last edited by MIllod on Mon Aug 19, 2024 19:02 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
PonySho

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC099 August 2024 - Submissions until 21-AUG-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by PonySho »

Mellow Browne wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2024 15:37 CEST
Hi,

Thanks to the song provider and Mister Fox for this opportunity!

First thing I did was to fix the phase issues,

Here is the link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ADDnvv ... sp=sharing
Nice work, Mellow. I like your mix a lot. Very balanced.
FallenAngel

Post by FallenAngel »

Hey everyone, here is my mix hope you all like it:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jNs2In ... share_link

My Mix
First of all, all instruments were EQed

Drums:
Kick and Snare: Compressed then sent to Parallel Compression aux which also had some distortion
High Hats: Cathedral style reverb. panned using automation throughout the song
Snare and Shaker: Were panned using automations

Marimba: Compressed and sent to cathedral reverb aux

Bass: Put through a bass amp plugin to distortion to the compressor to side-chain filter (chained to kick) to another EQ then sent to Room Reverb aux

Guitar: Pedalboard to delay to tremolo that switched pan to another EQ

Piano: EQ and Distorted to sound like it is through a phone and panned using automation throughout the song

Trumpets: Compressed and widened with an imager then sent to Cathedral reverb aux

Vocals: Compressed, EQed, DeEssed, Compressed, Distorted then sent to Slap Back and aDelay with an automated send

At the start and end, there was an EQ so that it sounded a bit like it was coming through a radio

This was mixed using Logic Pro X, I'm using the trial at the moment (might have to buy)
FallenAngel

Post by FallenAngel »

MIllod wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2024 21:15 CEST
Hi! Thanks for the challange. I'm new here so this will be my first entry. :grin:
Link to the mix:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1o_QUX0 ... drive_link

Documentation:
Vocals: Eq, DeEsser, Compression, J37, Crystallizer, Echoboy, Valhalla Supermassive, Newtone
Your link is not open btw
maxovrdrive

Post by maxovrdrive »

Thank you to LosTimpanos and @Isa for making the track available.
@Mister Fox, as always, many thanks.

My mix:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EsyWdr ... sp=sharing

Clarity and depth were my priority.

Vocals: tuning, eq, compression, soothe
compressed saturation
plate
tube
Drums:
Kick - eq, compression, limiter
parallel compression
Snare group - eq, compression
Snare - compression, gating
Snare_Springor - compression
Snare room
Overheads - JJP-Cymb-Perc channel
Room - JJP-Cymb-Perc channel
Guiro - 1073, room insert
Bass:
BassMono - eq, compressor, lowender, spectre, valhalla modulator
BassAmp on parallel channel
Marimba Group - limiter, eq, crystalline
Trumpets - 1073, soothe, room insert, plate insert
Piano - eq, room insert, compression

2Bus - eq, compression, limiter
Dudeism

Post by Dudeism »

Greetings Everyone, I’m very grateful for such a cool and fun mixing challenge hosting! This is my first time. The recordings are amazingly clean so props for this to Isaac!

This is my entry for the competition MC099__LosTimpanis__Falling__Dudeism.

This is a screenshot of the effects:
Most buses are heavily multiband compressed with Maximus VST for punchiness, loudness and frequency balance & consistency and sound shaping (being able to set custom multiband compression envelopes with 2 different releases times while also setting release and attack curve shape, saturation, a customizable RMS window and lookahead and super detailed analytical curves and diagrams etc. is something no other compressor I know offers).

For spaciousness, I added bright or wooden reverbs before compression for a more natural live recording sound. Afterward, most buses have a Fruity Parametric EQ (very CPU efficient) and one or multiple auto EQ plugins for very slight optimizations that add up (TEOTE balances and adds punch; Gullfoss for stronger sound shaping and clarity; Soothe 2 for resonance suppression/smoothness). The kick and snare have an instance of KNOCK VST for sub-bass. The kick is side-chained to the bass and the vocals to the whole instrumental with Soothe 2. The master bus again has Maximus multiband compression and rough gluing, EQ to sound like the reference (i chose "Liv Del Estal - Mamacita"), very slight Auto EQs for polish and Ozone Imager for a widened feel that is not possible to get with panning.

However, as I read somewhere here already, there are some phase issues in the multitrack due to the widening in the brass and guitar etc. (visible with a correlometer VST). I tried to merge the sides slightly back together as a compromise between widening and phase correlation.

Overall i tend to make drums louder in comparison to everything else, as the intention for mastering would now be to just drive everything into a clipper wich would make them relatively quieter without losing the punchiness in order to achive mastering loudness.

It seemed also, that there was no additional longer reverb needed to fill out empty space, since i tried to get as much detail and loudness out of every sound leaving no real room for silence due to a lack of loudness.

I tried to go for a warm punchy/earthy natural pop sound since there are no synths. So the focus on transients was a creative decision, if it was about staying as close to the original as possible it might have sounded like this rough alternative mix close to the original (!!!not an entry, just an example for getting feedback of what someone might prefer!!!)
Last edited by Dudeism on Tue Aug 20, 2024 19:45 CEST, edited 6 times in total.
MilkMonster

Post by MilkMonster »

Greetings everyone,

here's my entry to the competition
https://drive.google.com/file/d/15G9YSl ... sp=sharing

my aim is saturated, abit of attitude yet still clear mix to listen
start with basic eq carving, and adding parallel compression for the drums and bass.
next reverb and delay. I use mixture of LX480, AMS RMX16 & Bricasti
Vocal I de-ess with SPL 1503, Neve 551 eq and Retro double wide compressor
now for the mix bus, I'm using outboard Pultec, Stam SA4000, SSL Fusion and final touch with Cranborne Carnaby Harmonic eq
MIllod

Post by MIllod »

FallenAngel wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2024 13:19 CEST
MIllod wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2024 21:15 CEST
Link to the mix:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1o_QUX0 ... drive_link

Documentation:
Your link is not open btw
Ah thanks for telling me! Should work fine now.
Rc²

Post by Rc² »

Hi,

Please find below my entry.

Wav File

Below are a couple of screenshots of my mix console with all the plugins and routing. I always say I will keep it too a minimum but it appears things got out of hand again! :confused:

Drums / Bass / Guitars
Keys / Vox / Effects

If anyone is curious how I did anything in more detail let me know.
FromAtoZMix
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Post by FromAtoZMix »

Hi there, here is my version:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BodCEy ... drive_link

Well after more than a few listening sessions, I have decide to enhance a bit nearly all elements, first basics, panning, EQ. Some peaking frequency removed from Vocal, probably mic imperfection, resonances etc. I wanted to have that POP style Snare upfront not to much, Kick slightly behind. Nothing crazy with positioning. my plan was to keep everything on L&R as much as possible. HAAS Fx on piano as far I remember, GTR each stem +/- 7ms move so we have that nice spread. Matching EQ on the rest elements. I have added a bit extra to the vocal while in Verse/Chorus. Very little compression on musical elements, just to make them even, drums put them in phase, a little extra on Bass. That is it.

KInd regards,