2024-SEP-01 Info: Every September, the Mix Challenge audio community brings awareness to the topic mental health. Please have a look at Songwriting Competition 085.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC085 September 2024 - Submissions until 24-SEP-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Elcubano

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC085 September 2024 - Submissions until 24-SEP-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Elcubano »

PonySho wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2024 11:05 CEST
Hi Elcubano. This track starts off beautifully. I like how the intensity builds but I think the drums need to kick arse when they come in to give the track more energy. I suggest you turn up the kick and snare, and add a longer reverb on the snare to make the snare tone fuller and longer. It's a common and useful technique to lengthen the snare tone for slower tempo songs. For me, the guitars are all balanced pretty well. Would love to hear the rest of the track once you're done. Great start!
Thanks for the tips! I'll give it a try but I'm still having trouble getting the snare reverb to come out in the mix. It's not easy to find the right resonance.

I completed the music and tried to improve the mix, balancing the guitars and increasing the kick and snare + snare reverb and reviewed the EQs.
Hard to see if it's better than the first version.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZQg9C- ... drive_link
PonySho

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC085 September 2024 - Submissions until 24-SEP-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by PonySho »

Elcubano wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2024 16:29 CEST
Thanks for the tips! I'll give it a try but I'm still having trouble getting the snare reverb to come out in the mix. It's not easy to find the right resonance.

I completed the music and tried to improve the mix, balancing the guitars and increasing the kick and snare + snare reverb and reviewed the EQs.
Hard to see if it's better than the first version.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZQg9C- ... drive_link
I think this mix is an improvement.
The first time the distorted guitars come in I feel they could drop slightly in level while raising the kick and snare a little.
The second time the distorted gats come in the balance between kick, snare and distorted guitars sounds pretty good to me.
One easy way to increase the kick and snare is to simply duplicate the tracks, i.e. duplicate the exact kick track so there are two kick tracks playing simultaneously. One of the tracks could have an EQ peak at around 5khz to bring out the click of the kick. Do the same with the snare track but add a little extra EQ at 200hz. This adds a fatness to the snare. Try it and it'll give you a ton more level.
But anyways, nice work. Is that you playing the guitar? If so, great playing. I hope that's useful.
Elcubano

Post by Elcubano »

PonySho wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2024 09:15 CEST
I think this mix is an improvement.
The first time the distorted guitars come in I feel they could drop slightly in level while raising the kick and snare a little.
The second time the distorted gats come in the balance between kick, snare and distorted guitars sounds pretty good to me.
One easy way to increase the kick and snare is to simply duplicate the tracks, i.e. duplicate the exact kick track so there are two kick tracks playing simultaneously. One of the tracks could have an EQ peak at around 5khz to bring out the click of the kick. Do the same with the snare track but add a little extra EQ at 200hz. This adds a fatness to the snare. Try it and it'll give you a ton more level.
But anyways, nice work. Is that you playing the guitar? If so, great playing. I hope that's useful.
Thank you very much for the tips, I'll try to apply it.
The drums are from the addictive drums 2 plugin, I'll see if I can evolve the kick and snare settings according to the parts.
Yes I play all the guitars and basses, Thank you!
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC085 September 2024 - Submissions until 24-SEP-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

:arrow_right: A friendly reminder:
Including today, 7 days left to submit your production.

So far, we have 03 entries -- with moderate user interaction.

Now is the perfect time to post your entry!

If you want to access the extended game mechanics of the Songwriting Competition (asking for feedback during production), please try to release your first edits within the next 3 to 4 days to have enough time to get possible feedback (if needed/wanted) and continue to work on your song.

And to those sitting on the fence - please don't feel scared off and think "the bar is set too high, I will never make it" - set yourself a shorter private deadline. Just make music, submit your entry, join the conversation. See where this goes.

By joining, you're already a winner. The rest is bonus. :tu:

:arrow_right: Please do not forget to update your posts with what tools you've used, with whom you've collaborated, and which is the final version. We do need 9 participants for a full podium, and 16 or more for an extended podium.
APi_ZZ

Post by APi_ZZ »

Music is said to have a supportive effect in cases of mental health issues. My contribution tries to do so with this softly chiming, meditative track.
I aligned several bells, a meandering flute and choir overlays. No AI was harmed in this endeavour ... :wink: