2024-OCT-01 Info: We're celebrating 10 years of our small community, and our 100th Mix(ing) Challenge. Many games to participate in this month - please have a look.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC086 October 2024 - Submissions until 24-OCT-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
PonySho

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC086 October 2024 - Submissions until 24-OCT-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by PonySho »

ryanc wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2024 21:52 CEST

Here are the stems: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BqjnP ... p=drive_fs If anybody else wants to give it a go, I'm more than happy to be shown up. :hihi:
Thanks again!
Hi Ryan. I'll be working in my studio today, so will rework your mix and send you back the stems so you can see what I did...hopefully that would be helpful for you.
KukoBass
Backer
Backer

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC086 October 2024 - Submissions until 24-OCT-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by KukoBass »

Hello everybody,

this is my abandoned WIP for this month:

The .wav is here:
Hope will grow

I got a new job, so I had little time to work on this. I really wanted to write some lyrics for this and sing, but I ran out of time. The e-piano in the B and C part is meant to be the melody of the voice.

Tools used:
► Show Spoiler
ryanc

Post by ryanc »

Final Submission: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Bouys ... p=drive_fs

As per the generous suggestions I got from fellow musicians this mix has a few changes:
• I chose a less harsh-sounding snare sample. I still struggled to get it to sit well in the mix, but I think it sounds better
• Timing adjustments. Some of the instruments weren't synced well. Not perfect now, but better and hopefully less distracting
• EQ on the entire mix but especially on the guitars as there were some unpleasant resonances, again not perfect, but better.

Thanks again, friends, for your constructive criticism. I look forward to learning more from you!
ryanc

Post by ryanc »

PonySho wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2024 23:10 CEST
ryanc wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2024 21:52 CEST

Here are the stems: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BqjnP ... p=drive_fs If anybody else wants to give it a go, I'm more than happy to be shown up. :hihi:
Thanks again!
Hi Ryan. I'll be working in my studio today, so will rework your mix and send you back the stems so you can see what I did...hopefully that would be helpful for you.
You're the man! I look forward to hearing it!
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

Hey everyone!

Here's my entry! Sorry for the sub-par mix, I had about 30 minutes to mix it and less than a day to compose it, I'm new to this forum and I saw the songwriting challenge posts a bit late :(

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LjQcex ... drive_link

Here are the lyrics of my track :

So many stories of the sky are written in the ground
Where the sunrays are always to be found
Some say its memories are flooded
The earth is such a vast page to fill in

We cannot forget, no we cannot forget
We cannot forget, no we canno tforget

If we took all the time we've left
Like a moment to harvest
To bale the straw and protect the nest
We'd feed the grown plants beating in our chest

Hope you'll like it!
Ike H-mope

Post by Ike H-mope »

OlliH wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2024 20:11 CEST
Ike H-mope wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2024 04:00 CEST
FINAL SUBMISSION (second try...)
Actually this song is very good. It's funny and simple, but musically it's not a joke at all. It's not easy to make simple songs with melody hooks that one can remember afterwards. This one really stuck to my brains. I have nothing to complain in melody lines etc. So, when it comes to songwriting, I think you have done excellent job.

But when it comes to arrangement, you could work more on that area, or take the role of conductor. I'm pretty sure each instrument part on its own is fine as it is. But now when they're playing all together, it sounds like the Harvest Festival has hit midnight, and they're playing against each other.

Even though you have to pay for the whole band, that doesn't mean they all have to play at the same time. I would try to use the mute button and create separate areas where each instrument has its own place of dominance. If a horn has something nice to say in the background, don't cover it with other instruments. That way there would be more sonical variations etc. As an inspiration to mute button's use, listen for example Edith Piaf or Mireille Mathieu singing Marseille in front of huge orchestra. With quick listening it feels as if in many places there's only one long note (not a chord) supporting the singer.
Thanks for the feedback. Appreciate the your words on the songwriting, and will consider your arrangement thoughts when (if?) I finish this.

FWIW, the interplay and overlap of strings, brass and vocal is intentional, though can always make it better. The orchestration is "classical", but I'm thinking more like jazz or western swing. The bass marking time, the rest of the strings comping like a guitar, and then the brass as ostinato and horn section.